Apple, Inc. stock breaks $545 barrier as Samsung calls 'Crisis Awareness' meeting

Comments

• Reply 121 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just block "Malcolm Tucker". You'll be much happier when his posts don't appear in your thread view.

Well, subscribing to Group-Think concepts is a great way to address alternative points of views!

• Reply 122 of 205
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

What I think is happening is Samsung is losing high end smartphones very rapidly after Apple released iPhone 5S.  For example, iPhone sales in Japan in October is a whooping 76%.  Japan is a very rich country.  Japanese certainly can afford high end smartphones.  Thus Japanese are very much exposed to Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, Note 2 and Note 3s.  Despite this fact, Japanese are moving to iPhones in droves.  This says there are some inherent problems of Androids that Samsung marketing and Google propaganda can not hide from the affluent consumers.

I think next some market research firm will try to separate high end smartphones into the report.  When this happens AAPL will probably hit all time high agains. 

• Reply 123 of 205
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    What I think is happening is Samsung is losing high end smartphones very rapidly after Apple released iPhone 5S.  For example, iPhone sales in Japan in October is a whooping 76%.  Japan is a very rich country.  Japanese certainly can afford high end smartphones.  Thus Japanese are very much exposed to Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, Note 2 and Note 3s.  Despite this fact, Japanese are moving to iPhones in droves.  This says there are some inherent problems of Androids that Samsung marketing and Google propaganda can not hide from the affluent consumers.

I think next some market research firm will try to separate high end smartphones into the report.  When this happens AAPL will probably hit all time high agains. 

I think it being a wealthier nation on average helps tremendously but I think the biggest contributing factor is the subsidization of the handsets. Even in wealthy countries if there is no subsidization the iPhone doesn't seem to do as well as in Japan or the US.
  • Reply 124 of 205
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    bananaman wrote: »
    chrome book??
    y would any1 use that??
    I meant google chrome.
    you saw how it fit "net worth of Microsoft CEO Steve ballmer" after the $14 billion??
    edit:apparently it's the net worth of mark zuckerburg as well.
    edit2:zuckerburg is at 9.4 billion and ballmer is at 15.9 billion.
    back to safari I go.

I tried google Chrome and hated it. I took it off my system and it took me a couple of days to figure out all of little tiny pieces of code it puts in various places in the OS, it's like baby written MS code if you ask me. I use safari and it works just fine! every once in a while I might use Firefox because some website that well written, but so far, I really don't have any problems with safari and it's plenty fast enough and actually works better for certain sites. There is just one or two features from Firefox I'd like to see in Safaria and that is with the Star button to manage bookmarks. That to me is a cool feature. But Chrome? Hated it.
  • Reply 125 of 205
    Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

It's a guess; but likely the best REAL answer...

It’s a guess, but likely the best real answer: You’re incapable of reading the title.

• Reply 126 of 205
    Quote:

I think Tim Cook did a wonderful thing while at Compaq.  As you know, Compaq was acquired by HP, and that's where he was prior to going to work with Apple.  Today, with the new space doughnut being built on land formally owned by HP, it will have a certain je ne sais quoi to it..!

Tim Cook only worked at Compaq for like 6 months as VP of Corporate Materials. for most large companies, that's about how long it takes to know where the bathrooms are.  That's not a long time with a company.  He was actually with IBM Personal Computer as Director of North American Fulfillment for 12 years.  That's plenty of time getting acclimated to a large corporation, knowing where the bathrooms are and really knowing the industry.

What's actually more to it was that Jobs had worked for HP, so that's where the "Je ne sais quoi" is coming from.  It's not Tim Cook, Tim never worked for HP.

• Reply 127 of 205
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

It's a guess; but likely the best REAL answer...  My guess is that Apple is finally going to release Flash for the iPhone/iPad, now that they've managed to develop processors and chips that are fast enough for Flash.

That's the "Crisis Awareness Meeting" worth discussion.

LOL :)

Yeah.  Apple will adopt mobile Flash, what?  6-8 months after even Adobe announced they are ceasing support for it?  Are you serious?  I mean, really, where do get these ideas?  You're like the Glenn Beck of Apple theories.

Quote:

Boy, you seem real angry when you write.  Are all Apple shareholders terminally angry?  If so, you may need a new apple product or an app.  I'm usually correct about these types of things.  :-) 

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Not angry at all.  Actually, I was laughing.  And I notice that you didn't respond to what I actually said.  Just to make it clear, in bullet point format:

Retail Stores, FY 2013

-- $4.5bn in revenue

-- $10.9m in revenue per store

-- 18.5k visitors per store PER WEEK

-- 412 stores

And these are just the numerical reasons supporting the success story that is Apple retail.  Do you really think -- REALLY believe for one second -- that Apple would (for whatever mystical reason you seem to be attached to) discard flagship retail locations like the 5th Avenue store, the Beijing location, etc.?

None of this is even addressing the importance of face-to-face contact with employees, the importance of things like One-to-One, Personal Pickup (which, btw, I just used recently to get my iPad Air on release day), Workshops, Personal Setup, Genius Bar, etc.

I am guessing that you've never actually been to an Apple Store.

• Reply 128 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just block "Malcolm Tucker". You'll be much happier when his posts don't appear in your thread view.

I know, I'm sure you're right.  I just couldn't resist, even if it's bad for my heart. :)

• Reply 129 of 205
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    A common dart thrown by Samsung fanboys is that Apple is only successful be cause of its great marketing. GIven that, then SAmsung should be 10x the success of Apple because they spend 10x promoting their products.

And saarek observes "I'd hardly describe Samsung as a company in crisis. They essentially own the Android market .." So, if Samsung is so enamored with Android, why do they want to dump it for TIzen?
  • Reply 130 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spider2465 View Post

Well I know a lot of people on here are Apple fans but I think it's funny when they insult Samsung's products that at the heart for their iproducts, runs a processor made by Samsung. I also think it's funny that people are so surprised by this considering that Samsung has payed Apple almost $1.3 billion because of all those ridiculous lawsuits.

The lawsuits are a drop in the bucket for Samsung.  Heck, their advertising budget wasted more than 10 times as much money as all the lawsuits combined.  The real problem is that the sales of all of their premium phones combined failed to meet their expectations for the S4 alone.

• Reply 131 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cintos View Post

A common dart thrown by Samsung fanboys is that Apple is only successful be cause of its great marketing. GIven that, then SAmsung should be 10x the success of Apple because they spend 10x promoting their products.

And saarek observes "I'd hardly describe Samsung as a company in crisis. They essentially own the Android market .." So, if Samsung is so enamored with Android, why do they want to dump it for TIzen?

Apple has GREAT marketing.  They do.  But they don't need to spend gazillions on it.  They do it right, and thus it works.  

But more to the point, Apple makes quality, premium products and has a thriving ecosystem which supports those products.  As we all know, Apple doesn't produce many different products at all, and they only compete in a small segment of the market.  Apple can, thus, keep their focus quite narrow -- instead of throwing anything and everything against the wall in an attempt to see what sticks.

Samsung both does and does not own the Android market.  They do in the sense that, as far as I can tell, they are the only company actually making profits (at least profits of any significance) selling Android hardware.  Both Google and Amazon lose money on the hardware they sell, but make money through other avenues.  Companies like LG and HTC lose money.  And then there are the white box no-name companies -- I don't know what their business plan is, to be honest.

OTOH, Samsung doesn't own the Android market, in as far as most Android devices aren't Samsung, by a long shot.  They do, however, own the premium Android market, in much the same way that Apple owns the premium device market overall.

• Reply 132 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spider2465 View Post

Well I know a lot of people on here are Apple fans but I think it's funny when they insult Samsung's products that at the heart for their iproducts, runs a processor made by Samsung. I also think it's funny that people are so surprised by this considering that Samsung has payed Apple almost $1.3 billion because of all those ridiculous lawsuits.

As has been pointed out, Apple designs the Ax series of chips.  Samsung only fabs the chips because TSMC doesn't -- yet -- have their act together, quite.  Everything I've read recently seems to indicate that Apple will be moving to TSMC when possible.

And the "ridiculous lawsuits" go both ways.  Research it.  It's not a one-way street, by any stretch of the imagination.

• Reply 133 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

LOL :)

Yeah.  Apple will adopt mobile Flash, what?  6-8 months after even Adobe announced they are ceasing support for it?  Are you serious?  I mean, really, where do get these ideas?  You're like the Glenn Beck of Apple theories.

Not angry at all.  Actually, I was laughing.  And I notice that you didn't respond to what I actually said.  Just to make it clear, in bullet point format:

Retail Stores, FY 2013

-- $4.5bn in revenue

-- $10.9m in revenue per store

-- 18.5k visitors per store PER WEEK

-- 412 stores

And these are just the numerical reasons supporting the success story that is Apple retail.  Do you really think -- REALLY believe for one second -- that Apple would (for whatever mystical reason you seem to be attached to) discard flagship retail locations like the 5th Avenue store, the Beijing location, etc.?

None of this is even addressing the importance of face-to-face contact with employees, the importance of things like One-to-One, Personal Pickup (which, btw, I just used recently to get my iPad Air on release day), Workshops, Personal Setup, Genius Bar, etc.

I am guessing that you've never actually been to an Apple Store.

Judging by his completely ignorant statements, he's probably just sits in front of his Xbox and that's where he gets all of his information. Or he's still running XP and that filters out anything relevant to news over the past 8 years, so he's getting bad information from a long time ago that isn't relevant.  

• Reply 134 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

There doesn't seem to be any evidence to support your hypothesis.  If Counterpoint Research has it right, it's Japanese smartphone makers who are hurt the most by Apple's new iPhones.  Samsung's overall sales/marketshare in Japan was never that significant to warrant a "crisis awareness meeting."  

• Reply 135 of 205
    tooltalk wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any evidence to support your hypothesis.  If Counterpoint Research has it right, it's Japanese smartphone makers who are hurt the most by Apple's new iPhones.  Samsung's overall sales/marketshare in Japan was never that significant to warrant a "crisis awareness meeting."  

[image]

Losing 1/3 of your marketshare since June is a very significant.
  • Reply 136 of 205

Tim Cook has ran Apple like any PC hardware maker has which is pushing incremental updates down the chain and forcing customers and businesses to subscribe to their hardware.

There really aren't much innovations left at Apple because every year we're only seeing refinements and fixes that already existed in the industry.

The Apple showcases are so corporate is Apple the "different" technology company anymore?  

When you listen to Tim Cook talk in interviews, all he talks about is how they are meeting sales goals and playing down criticisms while offering zero insights to what Apple's vision of the future is going to be.  

Every Apple product these days is so one-size fit all mindset is very uninspiring for forward thinking technology users.

• Reply 137 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Losing 1/3 of your marketshare since June is a very significant.

Sure, the S4 was released and its sales peaked in June quarter, but there has been virtually no change since May.  Apple frequently records significant QoQ sales drop after new iPhone is released.  For instance, after the 4S release in 1Q 2012, the iPhone sales plummeted by -5.34% and -25.77 the next two quarters; again by -21.75% (2Q 2013)  and -16.04% (3Q 2013)  after the 5 release in 4Q 2012, 

Samsung reportedly sold some 1 million Galaxy lines in Japan -- that's a teeny weeny fraction of their overall Galaxy sales.  Samsung isn't going to lose any sleep over it. 

• Reply 138 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Tim Cook has ran Apple like any PC hardware maker has which is pushing incremental updates down the chain and forcing customers and businesses to subscribe to their hardware.

There really aren't much innovations left at Apple because every year we're only seeing refinements and fixes that already existed in the industry.

The Apple showcases are so corporate is Apple the "different" technology company anymore?  

When you listen to Tim Cook talk in interviews, all he talks about is how they are meeting sales goals and playing down criticisms while offering zero insights to what Apple's vision of the future is going to be.  

Every Apple product these days is so one-size fit all mindset is very uninspiring for forward thinking technology users.

How old are you?  Do you have a college degree in business?  What's your work experience?  What's your experience working in the corporate world?

You sound like someone that doesn't know how things work.

Why don't you give me a couple of specific examples rather than generalities, you almost sound like someone without any validity to your statements. And when you explain how Apple does things, explain how each of the others do it.  Maybe I can shed some light to explain things to you.  Some people come from the PC crowd and they don't get it.  Some have to have Apple and their mentality explained so it makes sense.  At least, if you are open minded about it.  If you have a valid point, I will agree with you, but until you give specifics, then I really don't want to guess as to what you are talking about.

What does a forward thinking technology person look at?  Explain.  Making generalized statements without anything to back them up makes you look evasive, which doesn't lead to credibility.  So, please explain.  In detail and use specifics and how a forward thinking technology user would do things differently.

• Reply 139 of 205
    Quote:

1.  Tim Cook is running Apple pretty much the way they've been running the company when it was under Jobs and others.  they make their own hardware, OS, apps, etc. and they design it to work together as well as they can with other products they make.  When a company comes out with a new and successful product like the iPad or the iPhone, etc.  they always come out with incremental enhancements to further improve the initial product and along the way it gets case redesigns.  And?  They've always done that.

What and how would you want them to do things differently that will also keep their profit margins intact.  Think it through, because they get scrutinized by the media all of the time when they don't hit their margins.  So, instead of just making broad BS, what would you do if you were Tim Cook.  Remember, if you come up with stupid ideas, you would be fired.  Obviously, you don't have his job and you never will know what it feels like to be in his shoes.  But I assure you, he's doing quite well in certain areas.   he obviously hasn't needed to sell the company, lay off tens of thousands of people, resign, or have a "crisis awareness' meeting with hundreds of employees or had to write down $1Billion because of too much inventory of product bombing.

• Reply 140 of 205
    Quote:

Here is a list of the things that the PC and Android mfg have done over the past few years that Apple hasn't.

1.  Write down $1 Billion because of a product bombing.

2.  Resign due to lousy profits and sales.

3.  Have a "crisis awareness" meeting with several hundred employees.

4.  Get stuck owing a company they copied $1 Billion.

5.  Had to start selling 3 different platforms of Operating Systems (Android, Windows, Chromebooks) just to get sales because the way they've been doing business doesn't work.

6.   Take the company private and ask others to help fund it because the financials SUCK.

7.  Had to exit a growing market.  There have actually been companies that dropped selling Android products recently. NEC was one of them.

8.  Huge financial losses. 

9.  Layoff tens of thousands of employees due to crappy sales, huge write downs from overpaying for other companies.

10.  Discontinuing a product within a couple of weeks after the product was announced.

11.  Sell or try to sell off the company due to poor sales/profits as they needed to get out of the business.

12.  Selling a computer platform that only gets 1% of the market in terms of sales, yet has almost every major PC mfg offering these products.

All of the above things have been done by a variety of different companies over the past 10 years.  here's a list of the companies that have been guilty of one or more of the above circumstances.

HP, Microsoft, Compaq, IBM, Dell, Fujitsu, Samsung, Google, NEC, Acer, ASUS, and there are others, but these are the biggies off the top of my head.

And what was it that you were trying to say?