Apple, Inc. stock breaks $545 barrier as Samsung calls 'Crisis Awareness' meeting

Comments

• Reply 141 of 205
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I know this is off topic, but how many of the Google Glass people that wasted their money on them actually STILL use them daily?  I've heard a peep from anyone talking about long term usage or have seen any recent rumblings from Sergy Brin on his little Glass project.  Whatever happened to that overhyped POS anyway? And how come we don't see Eric Schmidt and Larry Page waltzing around with those things on their heads?  Don't they eat their own dog food? Apparently not.  Maybe they don't want to look stupid or mess up their eyesight.

• Reply 142 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Losing 1/3 of your marketshare since June is a very significant.

Obviously, you don't know how Apple sales and product announcement coincide and how Samsung's product announcements and sales coincide.

What REALLY happened was building up pent up demand as people started holding off on purchases because there's a ton of product information regarding the next major product release.  And Apple outdid their previous year's weekend product release in terms of sales.  So, when has Samsung had record first weekend sales like Apple?  Anyone else for that matter.

Seriously, you obviously don't know how to analyze product releases and sales very well.  Sounds like you bought into the Samsung/Android hype and how much sales has Android lost in Japan recently?    I hope Apple releases their larger screen iPhone in June/July and we'll see what REALLY happens. Oh, and we'll see what happens when Apple finally signs on China Mobile.  People such as yourself are probably going to resort to hiding in shame one these things happen and you see the sales results.  But, the bottom line is, how much profit did the Android platform make?  They made about as much as Apple, COMBINED.  

It's going to be REAL embarrassing when Apple finally ships their large screen phone and signs China Mobile.  

• Reply 143 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cintos View Post

And saarek observes "I'd hardly describe Samsung as a company in crisis. They essentially own the Android market .." So, if Samsung is so enamored with Android, why do they want to dump it for TIzen?

android sucks.
  • Reply 144 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Sure, the S4 was released and its sales peaked in June quarter, but there has been virtually no change since May.  Apple frequently records significant QoQ sales drop after new iPhone is released.  For instance, after the 4S release in 1Q 2012, the iPhone sales plummeted by -5.34% and -25.77 the next two quarters; again by -21.75% (2Q 2013)  and -16.04% (3Q 2013)  after the 5 release in 4Q 2012, 

Samsung reportedly sold some 1 million Galaxy lines in Japan -- that's a teeny weeny fraction of their overall Galaxy sales.  Samsung isn't going to lose any sleep over it. 

Apple has their iPhone releases in the last month of the quarter and they usually have to wait a little until they ship and they only have so much they can produce and ship during basically a two week period.  When does Samsung announce the product and ship the product?  Samsung announced the S4 in April, which is the beginning of the quarter and then ships in May, which still has well over a month, almost 2 months of sales for that quarter and Apple usually has a couple of weeks at the tail end.  Why does Apple do this?  First off, Sept is a bad quarter anyway, and then they have a spike in sales, for over 2 more quarters.

It's WHEN Apple releases product.  See Apple always has their best quarter in Dec and then in the March quarter, then the June/Sept are progressively their worst quarters.  It's been like that for well over a decade, maybe even since the beginning.  I haven't tracked Apple sales in that way, but I'm sure if you got a hold of their data, it's a definite cycle.  Some companies are structured differently.  Samsung, makes appliances, components, and other unrelated things, so they are more of a conglomerate rather than a computer company.  Samsung also doesn't sell nearly as much of their so-called Flagship model on a yearly basis than Apple sells of their flagship model on a year to year basis.

Apple releases at the end of a quarter, so they only have 2 weeks out of a full quarter of sales of the new product and then each year, they've always has better first weekend of the product announcement.  How many iPhones did they sell the first weekend?  9 Million?  How many last year?  5 Million? And the year before? 

It's all about timing of the product release, how many weeks during that announcement quarter.  But every year, sales drop during the quarter leading up to the product announcement, and then they ramp up production to meet demand, and then it takes about a quarter to meet demand, and then it cruises for a quarter or so, then then it starts slowing down for the next major release.

for some reason, it would not surprise me if they have to now flip flop their 4inch (which is the best selling screen size BTW) and a newer larger screen size model every six months.    Apple couldn't release a 4inch iPhone and a 5inch(or somewhere in that size range) at the same time.  They just simply can't make enough.   Many people actually prefer the 4inch size because they don't want a larger screen size  But some of us do, so it will be interesting to see the actual sales once Apple releases a larger screen size.

But the iPhone 5S will outsell the iPhone 5, which will outsell the iPhone 4S, which outsold the iPhone 4, etc. over the life of the product, but I would lump iPhone 5 and the 5C as the same phone, even though they are slightly different on the outside, the guts are practically identical.

• Reply 145 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

Well, subscribing to Group-Think concepts is a great way to address alternative points of views!

First thing, know the subject before you make a statement. Then bring up valid reasons to back up your statement.  Have you ever gone to college and taken a critical thinking course?  If not, then maybe you should.  A lot of the things you are posting really show not much expertise in the subject matter for which you are commenting on.

I'm all for different points of view, as long as they have some validity to them.

I've never thought that Apple was always perfect in everything they do, there isn't too many companies that make 100% perfect products.   I know of some companies that make great products that are as close to perfect as possible, but they haven't changed the actual product almost since the beginning of the introduction.   But in the computer industry, it's just a fast paced industry with ever changing needs/wants by the consumer base, that it's hard to consistently come up with good products that are "hits".  Apple has been quite good at producing very little dogs in their product line.  The PC industry is riddled with dog products and a LOT of "me too" products where it's just the same thing over and over.  So, I don't know what company you think is overall better.  Especially when you factor in every aspect of the company product range, how the company supports the product, financial statements of the company, etc. etc.  If you just don't want to use Apple products, you are entitled to that, but don't put Apple down if you don't use their products because OBVIOUSLY, they didn't go from almost being bankrupt to being one of the most profitable and most valuable companies in the world within about a decade for no reason.  People have to respect that.  They are at least doing what they can for increasing the jobs throughout the world.  Not just in China, but they've created a LOT of jobs in the US that seemingly go unnoticed from their vendors, and definitely the shipping companies.  

• Reply 146 of 205

Samsung is doomed.

• Reply 147 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Samsung is doomed.

I think Samsung needs to change their way of doing business.  I think they make too many different models of smartphones.  I wish they would get out of the finished goods aspect and just be a really good component supplier and quit trying to control the entire industry by doing both.

• Reply 148 of 205
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drblank wrote: »
    I think Samsung needs to change their way of doing business.  I think they make too many different models of smartphones.  I wish they would get out of the finished goods aspect and just be a really good component supplier and quit trying to control the entire industry by doing both.

While I wholeheartedly agree, it's hard to argue with results. Making a multitude of devices has seemingly made them successful.
  • Reply 149 of 205
    Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Tim Cook has ran Apple like any PC hardware maker has which is pushing incremental updates down the chain and forcing customers and businesses to subscribe to their hardware.

There really aren't much innovations left at Apple because every year we're only seeing refinements and fixes that already existed in the industry.

The Apple showcases are so corporate is Apple the "different" technology company anymore?  

When you listen to Tim Cook talk in interviews, all he talks about is how they are meeting sales goals and playing down criticisms while offering zero insights to what Apple's vision of the future is going to be.  

Every Apple product these days is so one-size fit all mindset is very uninspiring for forward thinking technology users.

Just shut up. It’s too early, it’s too late, and it’s too midday to put up with this frippery. When you want to make a post where every single sentence isn’t a lie, feel free to post again. Until then…

• Reply 150 of 205
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, as I said before, AFAIK they're the only ones making a profit off of Android hardware.  So, I'm not sure they need to change anything.  

• Reply 151 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Sure, the S4 was released and its sales peaked in June quarter, but there has been virtually no change since May.  Apple frequently records significant QoQ sales drop after new iPhone is released.  For instance, after the 4S release in 1Q 2012, the iPhone sales plummeted by -5.34% and -25.77 the next two quarters; again by -21.75% (2Q 2013)  and -16.04% (3Q 2013)  after the 5 release in 4Q 2012, 

Samsung reportedly sold some 1 million Galaxy lines in Japan -- that's a teeny weeny fraction of their overall Galaxy sales.  Samsung isn't going to lose any sleep over it. 

Where are you getting your iPhone sale figure from?   Here's the total number of iPhone sales, by quarter since the inception of the iPhone.  If you take the data and create a chart, it will have a seesaw effect. It's kind of peaking as of last quarter, but we have to see how well they do in this quarter which is historically their best quarter. I will be the first to agree that Apple needs to kick out a larger line of iPhones to help increase unit sales, gross rev/profits, etc.  but they will also increase these numbers significantly once they get China Mobile lined up AND can actually get their production levels to meet demand so they don't have a 2 to 3 week lead time.  I think they are at the 500 thousand units a day production levels that's running 24/7, but they have to increase that number to meet the next wave of demand from the larger screen phone AND adding China Mobile to the carrier list.

Q3 2007  270,000
    Q4 2007  1,190,000
    Q1 2008  2,315,000
    Q2 2008  1,703,000
    Q3 2008  717,000
    Q4 2008  6,890,000
    Q1 2009  4,363,000
    Q2 2009  3,793,000
    Q3 2009  5,208,000
    Q4 2009  7,367,000
    Q1 2010  8,373,000
    Q2 2010  8,752,000
    Q3 2010  8,398,000
    Q4 2010  14,102,000
    Q1 2011  16,240,000
    Q2 2011  18,650,000
    Q3 2011  20,340,000
    Q4 2011  17,070,000
    Q1 2012  37,044,000
    Q2 2012  35,100,000
    Q3 2012  26,030,000
    Q4 2012  21,849,600
    Q1 2013  47,800,000
    Q2 2013  45,000,000
    Q3 2013  33,800,000

Right now, they are at 500K a day, so that's about 45MIllion per quarter if they cranked phones out 360 days a year (they have to give them at least 5 days a year for holidays).  That's about 180 Million a year at current capacity.  Now, if  the last 4 quarters they did 148+ Million Units.

So, it's conceivable that they might be able to kick up to 180 Million units over the next 12 months, especially if they kick in China Mobile AND a 5inch model.  I'm sure they will add more production lines during the next 12 months.

It's just going to be interesting to see if they can actually sell more than 47.8Million units this quarter since their production level is around 45MIllion (yeah, this quarter has a couple of major holidays in it) where the physical stores (Apple and resellers) are shut down for sales.

• Reply 152 of 205
    solipsismx wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    They won't ever get it. Not with a 4 day meeting, not with 600 managers, not by spending $14B on ads. It's simply not in their DNA.

But they're not doing bad. They have their insurance, shipping and other branches doing very well. and SE will simply continue to pump out stuff for people that think they are better off. This won't ever change, and that's probably a good thing.

Maybe not, but they also seem to be the only company that is actually trying to figure out how and why Apple has the following it has. That as unique among Android-based vendors as Apple is among smartphone vendors.

True. I don't understand why they don't follow up on their Bada efforts. They might have a shot at replicating Apple by creating both the software and hardware. This will require for them to rethink the way they have been working and not pimp-up the hardware so much with everything that could be added, but only add things that make sense or are truly useful.

Perhaps a custom version of Tizen, if that is allowed. And only IF that is a viable option. There was a summit in Korea, just two weeks ago, or so their homepage tells me.
  • Reply 153 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Well, as I said before, AFAIK they're the only ones making a profit off of Android hardware.  So, I'm not sure they need to change anything.  

It depends on how they want to run their business. If you look at their entire catalog of smart phones, they make a LOT of dog products that probably lose money, run outdated OS (like Gingerbread/ICS) and are just not profitable junk.   It might hurt their gross sales and market share, but they might actually be able to retain more profits.   The only reasons why they actually make a somewhat decent Net Profit is they don't put as much effort into supporting their products.

Take a look at what they do, they don't really design the Android OS, and they don't really do anything to update the OS on older model phones other than MAYBE the S series.

How many of their phones are actually running 4.2.2?  I think maybe only a couple, most are running much older OS versions. That's kind of chicken $hit if you ask me.  That shows no pride in what they do.  That's what sucks about the OEM Android smart phone industry as a whole,  It's like passing a bad penny around acting like it's gold when it isn't.  They don't really develop anything in the area of decent apps.  All they do is packaging different processors, screen sizes in different cases and spitting them out at different price points, but it would be interesting to find out which products of their actually have REASONABLE profit margins.  I don't know how they can sell a phone with a $150 MSRP and make a decent amount of net profit after you factor in returns, defective product, and support costs. Is it worth being in that market segment just to "buy" market share?  That's why most every PC company can't make any decent profits.  The only thing that's saving Samsung is that they mfg components.    But I would think that they should start getting rid of products that lose money and slim down their product line to what sells and makes a decent profit and get off of this market share BS.   It really makes the company look more schlocky if you look at their entire product line.

Think of it this way, what happens when you walk into a car dealership, do you want to see a bunch of brand new cars that are essentially 4 year old models?  Or do you want to see only the latest and greatest models from a wide range of categories?  At least Apple sells brand new product where they actually run the latest version OS.  But they won't sell a computer or iDevice that can't run the latest OS, Apple would be chastised by everyone if they did.  So why do so many people allow Samsung and other Android device mfg to get away with that practice?  I don't understand why the media is so lenient about that practice.  To me, that's the main reason why I don't do OEM Android, that's unacceptable.  Even Microsoft would get ridiculed to no end if they sold products that actually didn't or couldn't run the latest OS.  Imagine walking into a store and buying a brand new unit that ran XP on it and the unit couldn't run Windows 8 or even Windows 7.  Most intelligent people would think that the company that does that is STUPID.

• Reply 154 of 205
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    True. I don't understand why they don't follow up on their Bada efforts. They might have a shot at replicating Apple by creating both the software and hardware. This will require for them to rethink the way they have been working and not pimp-up the hardware so much with everything that could be added, but only add things that make sense or are truly useful.

Perhaps a custom version of Tizen, if that is allowed. And only IF that is a viable option. There was a summit in Korea, just two weeks ago, or so their homepage tells me.

I'm not the person to ask on that front. I don't know what they don't seem to be evolving Bada faster, why HP bought Palm just to can it, why Dell, Compaq, etc. all didn't slowly evolve a great OS knowing that longterm with Windows would ruin them.

Well, let me take that back regarding Samsung. Samsung could theoretically evolve Android and then fork it so it's a licensed or private OS the way Bada and iOS are, respectively. With an Android-based OS Samsung can let Google do all the heavy lifting — we know they like others to do all the real work — and then put their own final touches on it, which include not including Google's licensed apps. This would actually be legal (which may be why it doesn't sit well with Samsung :D).

They are also in a prime position to copy Apple's curated App Store model and create a better SDK that is Samsung specific. They already have APIs for their Note product line for the digitizer. This could theoretically give Samsung the best of both worlds by allowing any and all Google Play apps on their "Samdroid" OS which gives them a rich app environment from the start, but also offer higher quality apps similar to how Apple's App Store and SDK work. No one else is in the position to make this move.
  • Reply 155 of 205
    Quote:

It depends on how they want to run their business. If you look at their entire catalog of smart phones, they make a LOT of dog products that probably lose money, run outdated OS (like Gingerbread/ICS) and are just not profitable junk.   It might hurt their gross sales and market share, but they might actually be able to retain more profits.   The only reasons why they actually make a somewhat decent Net Profit is they don't put as much effort into supporting their products.

Take a look at what they do, they don't really design the Android OS, and they don't really do anything to update the OS on older model phones other than MAYBE the S series.

How many of their phones are actually running 4.2.2?  I think maybe only a couple, most are running much older OS versions. That's kind of chicken $hit if you ask me.  That shows no pride in what they do.  That's what sucks about the OEM Android smart phone industry as a whole,  It's like passing a bad penny around acting like it's gold when it isn't.  They don't really develop anything in the area of decent apps.  All they do is packaging different processors, screen sizes in different cases and spitting them out at different price points, but it would be interesting to find out which products of their actually have REASONABLE profit margins.  I don't know how they can sell a phone with a $150 MSRP and make a decent amount of net profit after you factor in returns, defective product, and support costs. Is it worth being in that market segment just to "buy" market share?  That's why most every PC company can't make any decent profits.  The only thing that's saving Samsung is that they mfg components.    But I would think that they should start getting rid of products that lose money and slim down their product line to what sells and makes a decent profit and get off of this market share BS.   It really makes the company look more schlocky if you look at their entire product line.

Think of it this way, what happens when you walk into a car dealership, do you want to see a bunch of brand new cars that are essentially 4 year old models?  Or do you want to see only the latest and greatest models from a wide range of categories?  At least Apple sells brand new product where they actually run the latest version OS.  But they won't sell a computer or iDevice that can't run the latest OS, Apple would be chastised by everyone if they did.  So why do so many people allow Samsung and other Android device mfg to get away with that practice?  I don't understand why the media is so lenient about that practice.  To me, that's the main reason why I don't do OEM Android, that's unacceptable.  Even Microsoft would get ridiculed to no end if they sold products that actually didn't or couldn't run the latest OS.  Imagine walking into a store and buying a brand new unit that ran XP on it and the unit couldn't run Windows 8 or even Windows 7.  Most intelligent people would think that the company that does that is STUPID.

I agree with nearly everything you said here.

Samsung may actually make tiny profits on the junk phones they sell, I don't know.  But their goal to seems to be to flood the market at any cost, as you basically said.  Actually, that's Google's plan with Android as a whole, if you think about it.  All Google wants is any (premium or piece of shit -- doesn't matter) device running Android so that they can get advertising returns.  So, I guess it's no surprise that Samsung is basically following the Android business model for now.

As to the press, I think it's fairly obvious to any of us here that the general press doesn't understand tech AT ALL.  They don't understand the underlying technology involved, they don't understand the business of tech, they don't understand how things develop and change -- they just don't understand any of it.  And let's face it:  You're never going to see a story that actually explains (let alone calls them on it) OS fragmentation among Android devices on something like the Today Show.  One, I'm not sure they have anyone who actually understands the issue, and Two, it wouldn't fit into one of their 3-5 minute segments.

I mean, I have no problem in general with Samsung -- the uber-Samsung company.  I have both a Samsung HDTV and a Samsung Blu-Ray.  And when I replace the HDTV -- it seems to be showing its age a bit, and I'd like to move up in size -- I would consider a Samsung as a replacement.  OTOH, you couldn't pay me to buy one of their mobile devices.

• Reply 156 of 205
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Samsung could theoretically evolve Android and then fork it so it's a licensed or private OS the way Bada and iOS are, respectively. With an Android-based OS Samsung can let Google do all the heavy lifting — we know they like others to do all the real work — and then put their own final touches on it, which include not including Google's licensed apps. This would actually be legal (which may be why it doesn't sit well with Samsung :D).

Classic already: "...which include not including Google's licensed apps"

They will need to create an incentive for developers to put their apps on the All Apps from Samsung (A.S.S.)
    They are also in a prime position to copy Apple's curated App Store model and create a better SDK that is Samsung specific. They already have APIs for their Note product line for the digitizer. This could theoretically give Samsung the best of both worlds by allowing any and all Google Play apps on their "Samdroid" OS which gives them a rich app environment from the start, but also offer higher quality apps similar to how Apple's App Store and SDK work. No one else is in the position to make this move.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it. I agree that from all the companies out there, Samsung seems to be in the best position. But if this Korean thinking and business approach of theirs' is anything to go by I also don't see them doing anything sensible, anything innovative.

Yes yes, that is a negative view on their MO, but looking at past endeavours...oh well, I might be surprised after this 'crisis meeting' though I don't think we'll see any changes soon. In 12 months time, perhaps.
  • Reply 157 of 205
    Quote:

I agree with nearly everything you said here.

Samsung may actually make tiny profits on the junk phones they sell, I don't know.  But their goal to seems to be to flood the market at any cost, as you basically said.  Actually, that's Google's plan with Android as a whole, if you think about it.  All Google wants is any (premium or piece of shit -- doesn't matter) device running Android so that they can get advertising returns.  So, I guess it's no surprise that Samsung is basically following the Android business model for now.

As to the press, I think it's fairly obvious to any of us here that the general press doesn't understand tech AT ALL.  They don't understand the underlying technology involved, they don't understand the business of tech, they don't understand how things develop and change -- they just don't understand any of it.  And let's face it:  You're never going to see a story that actually explains (let alone calls them on it) OS fragmentation among Android devices on something like the Today Show.  One, I'm not sure they have anyone who actually understands the issue, and Two, it wouldn't fit into one of their 3-5 minute segments.

I mean, I have no problem in general with Samsung -- the uber-Samsung company.  I have both a Samsung HDTV and a Samsung Blu-Ray.  And when I replace the HDTV -- it seems to be showing its age a bit, and I'd like to move up in size -- I would consider a Samsung as a replacement.  OTOH, you couldn't pay me to buy one of their mobile devices.

Well, in order to fully understand an industry, it's best if you have a finance background so you can analyze the numbers, but also have been in the industry knowing what's really going on and not listening to the media all of the time and looking at REAL numbers that are meaningful and not based on some stupid survey.  Some surveys that have been conducted didn't have very good sample sizes, asking good questions and some of the metrics floating around are improperly used in the media.  As a whole, I find very few journalists that actually discuss numbers they have properly, they seem to gloss over important factors to consider.

Yeah, I agree Apple needs to kick down a larger screen model.  Not just because I want one for my next phone, it's because that market has defitinitely shown pver the past year that it's worthwhile going after.  I'm still not convinced the 5.5 to 6inch models will sell much more than 12 million units a year since that's basically how many they are selling.   I don't know if Apple wants to approach that line just yet.  I think the 5inch or thereabouts is definitely worth going after, but they have to increase their capacities as running at 500,000 units a day 24/7 isn't enough capacity to handle another two flagship lines, plus the additional demand stemming from China Mobile and other carriers they haven't yet added to the list.

Apple STILL isn't being sold in some countries and by all carriers because they can't meet the demand for everyone when they do a product release, they STILL have to roll out the product in a phased approach.   If Apple rolled out their product to their entire carrier list, with unlocked versions and added China Mobile, they wouldn't do 9 million units in the first weekend of a major product announcement, they would do more like 12 to 15 million units in the first weekend, maybe even more.  I think Apple has to kick up their max production levels to be able to handle more like 750,000 units a day 24/7 within a year.  That's still a LOT OF freaking phones.  If you think about it, Apple is maxed out production wise, which is why they have to add more assembly plants with other outsource companies, so Foxconn is having difficulties catching up.

It might have actually been a smart move if Apple bought Nokia for not only their IP, but mfg capabilities, since it would take them about a year to can their product line and turn them on to do new models as the market demands.  God, would that have pissed Ballmer off if they did that. Ballmer would have turned beet red, steam coming out his ears and head while his brain oozed out from a total melt down.  I would have LOVED to have seen that. If nothing else, that would have been funny.

• Reply 158 of 205
    Quote:

Well, in order to fully understand an industry, it's best if you have a finance background so you can analyze the numbers, but also have been in the industry knowing what's really going on and not listening to the media all of the time and looking at REAL numbers that are meaningful and not based on some stupid survey.  Some surveys that have been conducted didn't have very good sample sizes, asking good questions and some of the metrics floating around are improperly used in the media.  As a whole, I find very few journalists that actually discuss numbers they have properly, they seem to gloss over important factors to consider.

Yeah, I agree Apple needs to kick down a larger screen model.  Not just because I want one for my next phone, it's because that market has defitinitely shown pver the past year that it's worthwhile going after.  I'm still not convinced the 5.5 to 6inch models will sell much more than 12 million units a year since that's basically how many they are selling.   I don't know if Apple wants to approach that line just yet.  I think the 5inch or thereabouts is definitely worth going after, but they have to increase their capacities as running at 500,000 units a day 24/7 isn't enough capacity to handle another two flagship lines, plus the additional demand stemming from China Mobile and other carriers they haven't yet added to the list.

Apple STILL isn't being sold in some countries and by all carriers because they can't meet the demand for everyone when they do a product release, they STILL have to roll out the product in a phased approach.   If Apple rolled out their product to their entire carrier list, with unlocked versions and added China Mobile, they wouldn't do 9 million units in the first weekend of a major product announcement, they would do more like 12 to 15 million units in the first weekend, maybe even more.  I think Apple has to kick up their max production levels to be able to handle more like 750,000 units a day 24/7 within a year.  That's still a LOT OF freaking phones.  If you think about it, Apple is maxed out production wise, which is why they have to add more assembly plants with other outsource companies, so Foxconn is having difficulties catching up.

It might have actually been a smart move if Apple bought Nokia for not only their IP, but mfg capabilities, since it would take them about a year to can their product line and turn them on to do new models as the market demands.  God, would that have pissed Ballmer off if they did that. Ballmer would have turned beet red, steam coming out his ears and head while his brain oozed out from a total melt down.  I would have LOVED to have seen that. If nothing else, that would have been funny.

Yes.  Yes it would have been hilarious. :)

As to a larger phone, I don't really care.  I know it's a near certainty.  And I also know that I probably won't like it.  But there's no point in complaining about something that is going to happen, no matter what I do.  I mean, it was 19F this morning.  What's the point of complaining about it?  It doesn't make it any warmer.

*shrug*

It would be great if they could keep both sizes as flagship models, but I understand what you're saying about the logistical problems inherent with that.

• Reply 159 of 205
    Quote:

Yes.  Yes it would have been hilarious. :)

As to a larger phone, I don't really care.  I know it's a near certainty.  And I also know that I probably won't like it.  But there's no point in complaining about something that is going to happen, no matter what I do.  I mean, it was 19F this morning.  What's the point of complaining about it?  It doesn't make it any warmer.

*shrug*

It would be great if they could keep both sizes as flagship models, but I understand what you're saying about the logistical problems inherent with that.

I think they'll probably call the new flagship possibly an iPhone 6 and then maybe a 4inch version and call it a iPhone6S or something silly to designate a different screen size and then either a iPhone 6C or IPhone 6SC for a polycarb version.  Or the iPhone Air and a iPhoneX, etc..  I'm sure their marketing department that's in charge of their naming conventions probably has lots of heated discussions as to what the call these things....

It's almost like we know what they are going to do, but sometimes they do things differently just to keep us on our toes. 

LOL.

• Reply 160 of 205

call the new flagship possibly an iPhone 6 and then maybe a 4inch version and call it a iPhone6S or something silly to designate a different screen size and then either a iPhone 6C or IPhone 6SC for a polycarb version.

My “these names cannot possibly work” senses are tingling.