iPhoto Archiving

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When you burn to a CD-R what format are the pictures in on the CD?

Are the readable on PCs or does it basically make an iPhoto library on the CD-R?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    It basically copies the iphoto library structure of the photos you had selected to be burned.

Interesting thing is it automatically starts iPhoto when you put the cd in, and shows the photos within the cd. on screen. Shows up as a separate iphoto library. Dragging photos from the disk to the iphoto library on the computer puts them in a new roll.

It does not save the roll heirarchy of the photos you save (all in one big window in iphoto)

The cd looks & tastes like a normal cd full of photos.

Another interesting thing is that it must read the date of the EXIF information, because two photos I had taken back in 2000 are in their own folder under '2000' and separate folders inside for the date they were taken. Useful...

They should be readable on PC's but you will have to wade through the folder heirarchy to get to them.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    uhg.... i was hoping it would store them in a more logical hierarchy on the CD

i guess i'll just do the old export and save them to the disc image to be burned
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I usually use image capture and only put the ones I intend to use with the different iApps in iPhoto... I make a cd based on each month.

iPhoto does not allow you to name the cd, either.

I was hoping there would be a better method of organizing these, since there was no concise way of deleting the files from your hard drive after burning them... Damned peculiar, that... Why else would you be backing them up than to clear up hard drive space...

More feedback to the Apple mill, I guess...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by nosey:

<strong>It basically copies the iphoto library structure of the photos you had selected to be burned.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ack! What library structure?!?

I updated iPhoto 1 (with the date-based directories), and it lost the database on upgrading, but the pictures were still in the folders.

I then added new photos to iPhoto 2, and they did *not* appear in the date-based directories. I took this to mean that new photos are *not* added to such a directory structure, and instead were probably linked through file IDs... (I moved one of them just to make sure it wasn't paths, and it still showed up in the album.)

Am I missing where it is now storing photos? And how?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

I then added new photos to iPhoto 2, and they did *not* appear in the date-based directories. I took this to mean that new photos are *not* added to such a directory structure, and instead were probably linked through file IDs... (I moved one of them just to make sure it wasn't paths, and it still showed up in the album.)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure? When I imported a roll today the pictures ended up it ended up in the usual date-based location (iPhoto Library/2003/02/01).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I just snapped some pics and imported them...

They are in ~user/pictures/iphoto library/2003/02/02

It does seem to be keeping a structure of some kind.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My bad.

Between the upgrade to iPhoto ignoring my existing archive (grrr), and leaving the archive in place, I couldn't tell if items were added appropriately or not. They didn't seem to be.

I wiped the archive clean, and started over, and now pictures are populating the folder structure as expected.

On one hand, I'm almost disappointed, it would have been nice to have iPhoto act like a conceptual organizational tool for pictures that I already have sorted according to other criteria in folders. Ah well.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I just tried the CD burn function in iPhoto. All of the images seem to appear on the CD after burning, but there is no actual image that opens up in Photoshop (or Preview). What's up?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Okay, I located all of my jpg's and burned them to CD the "old fashioned" way. I then deleted all of the images from the updated iPhoto library.

Is there any hope that as I import new image files into iPhoto2 I will actually be able to use iPhoto's built-in burn function to write CD's that have useable images?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Thank you for picking up my thread, applenut.

There are still a few questions left:

1. Does iPhoto 2 use multi-session burning to fill the CD or do you need a new one every time you archive?

2. Is it possible to burn slide-shows that can be played on DVD-players?

3. Does iPhoto use the Kodak-Photodisc standard?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    An answer to your first question. I just tried this and it does not do multi-session burning. To do this you have to export the images to a file folder and use Disc Copy or Toast to burn a multi-session disc.

The big advantage here is that iPhoto does burn the images as an iPhoto Library, solving the problem of having your hard disk fill up with images. Once you burn the images to CD or DVD, you can then delete the originals from iPhoto. When you insert the disc, it opens iPhoto and shows the images as an iPhoto library.

I think this solves one of my major complaints about iPhoto - having to keep all the images on the hard disk to use its features.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I was hoping for a 'browser' feature where you could skim through archived thumbnails, see one you want, click on it and have iPhoto ask you to 'insert iphoto disk x in the drive'

Now that would have been really neat, and very useful if you have gobs of photos...

For now, though, you can at least have fewer photos on the hard drive at any one time.