First fully-integrated 'Made for iPhone' hearing aids are set to hit the market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

If you were requesting a link to a paper from the future, I cannot help you. 

No... just current or recent past.  

Never mind... I sort of answered my own question.... apparently you could not.

• Reply 22 of 34
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member

I have one of those 'streamers' that connects my hearing aids to my 3rd generation iPad via Bluetooth. Works great with the Music and Podcast apps, and also with the VoiceOver screenreader. Yes, it is expensive, but if you need it, you are glad to have this option.

The first items I saw regarding 'Made for iPhone' hearing aids were iOS apps that allowed a hearing aid user to manipulate various hearing aid controls. To me that was not was much of an advance, since hearing aids already have manual controls. But, removing the big 'streamer' around your neck (mostly a lithium battery) will be very nice. The Bluetooth 4.0 'low energy' technology enables the more direct Bluetooth routing. To find out more about Bluetooth 4.0 'low energy' technology, see http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/low-energy.aspx.

Since I also have low vision, I think maybe an iPhone + 'Made for iPhone' hearing aids + the Maps app walking directions (using location services) could be quite helpful, if not perfect.

Update: After reading the Reuters article on this subject, it appears that GN Resound had a 2.4 GHz technology in place, and that Apple has now included the 2.4 GHz bandwidth in its iPhone. So (I am guessing), the iPhone itself now becomes the 'streamer' with the lithium battery to power the stream to the hearing aids (which can receive that same bandwidth). In addition, an iOS app on the iPhone allows the user to have interactive manipulation of the hearing aid controls from the iPhone via Bluetooth 4.0 'low energy' technology.

• Reply 23 of 34

I did some checking and there's indeed potential for a cure for hearing loss based on stem cell. It's pretty much experimental with a couple clinical trials in the US, but im optimistic that by 2020 a basic treatment based on stem cell will be available. Much more importantly, dont go for cochlear implants. The CIs are rather primitive(they dont transmit the full audio range) and will become obsolete once stem cell treatment are available, BUT the implants does irreversible damage to the ear that makes the treatment impossible.

http://www.stemcellsportal.com/news-and-press/latest-news/371-first-fda-approved-stem-cell-trial-to-treat-hearing-loss-begins.html

• Reply 24 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    They sound like a great thing for Verizon to sell, they don't even need to think of a new tag line ... :D
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I have hearing aids (Phonak) and I use their Bluetooth streamer (ComPilot) to send my iPhone to my aids. The ComPilot also contains the microphone. I wonder where the microphones will be in these "iPhone" hearing aids. Phone calls have to be 2-way.
  • Reply 26 of 34

that sounds cool...but how much it will cost??????

• Reply 27 of 34
    that sounds cool...

Haven't you heard? There is a buzz going on about this. A resounding one ¡
  • Reply 28 of 34
    "But I would love to have control of the "mix" through my iPhone because, as everyone knows, sound quality differs in different venues."

A high quality, properly fit hearing instrument already not only does this for you, but will learn your preferred volume settings in very specific situations.

Do you really want to have to fiddle with your hearing aids every time you go into a new listening environment? Most folks want to put them in and forget about them. I see this upcoming product as little more than a novelty, based on what's already out there in the hearing aid industry.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I am professionally engaged in programming of hearing aids in Ukraine. My website: http://103.zp.ua/

Think on this.
    1. The next evolutionary step of hearing aids - the recognition meanings of words to improve understanding of the patient.
    2. The second step - translator built into the hearing aid
    Then there will be new steps

Technology of Hearing Aid was developed separately for many years. Uses unique interfaces, special programmators, closed programs.
    ReSound LiNX hearing aid is only the first very important step.

I apologize for my English.
    Dear moderator, please correct any errors.
  • Reply 30 of 34

Under the Beltone brand the equivalent Beltone First™ will be launched following the same release pattern.

http://www.beltone.com/products/beltone-first.aspx

• Reply 31 of 34
    The problem with all hearing aids is that the features use proprietary and not generic names for the features. There is no possibility for the consumer to know if there is a difference between one aid and another aid. They are completely dependent on hearing aid dispensers who prescribe and sell the aids. This is a conflict of interest that is not tolerated in any other industry so why hearing aids?

I have had a petition before the FDA for years requesting that ALL companies use generic names for their features and that all features be rated against international ANSI standards. Nothing has happened.

The issue with Bluetooth is connectivity. People with hearing loss need assurance that they can connect when they want to connect. Has Apple overcome this issue? T-coils always connect.

Apple was adding induction loops to their Genius Bars and began with their SOHO store in NY which I assisted. They have not moved forward with this project. Are consumers now only going to have access at their Genius Bar if they wear an Apple hearing aid?

Access for people cannot use proprietary technology under the ADA. Why is Apple not moving forward with induction loops at all their Genius Bars?

Janice Schacter Lintz, chair, Hearing Access Program
  • Reply 32 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Are consumers now only going to have access at their Genius Bar if they wear an Apple hearing aid?

How are they moving through life now? I presume with a hearing aid, which should work everywhere, including an Apple Store.

I don't think Apple will rename things in iOS for consistency purposes. Could the ANSI make this mandatory?
  • Reply 33 of 34

People cannot compare hearing aids which is a huge issue.  They are completely dependent on the person who prescribes and sells them.  This conflict of interest has been eliminated in other markets but not with hearing aids.  The FDA oversees the hearing aid market would have to require it.  I have had a petition before them on this issue since 2009 but the hearing aid manufacturers are an oligopoly.   Consumers need to demand this.  As Sy Syms said, an educated consumer is our best customer.  

• Reply 34 of 34
    katezkatez Posts: 3member

Iphone 4 and iphone 5 are hearing aid compatible under FCC requirements for HAC or Hearing Aid Compatibility.  There are two types of rating M and T, were M indicates reduced radio frequency interference and they enable acoustic coupling with hearing aid. But it doesn’t operate in telecoil mode. Whereas T refers to inductive coupled hearing aid that can operated in telecoil mode.