MacMall launches Black Friday sale, prices may hint at Apple's official discounts; $699 MB Air

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Authorized Apple resellers begun unveiling their Black Friday deals on Wednesday, with discounts of roughly $101 off Macs and as much as $70 off new iPad Air models-- but none on Retina iPad minis -- potentially hinting at the kinds of discounts Apple will or will not provide at its own stores. Meanwhile, more AppleInsider exclusives and a $699.99 MacBook Air doorbuster are also up for grabs.

MacMall Black Friday Sale

Some highlights of MacMall's Black Friday sale, which begins now and runs through Friday, include: MacMall's sales suggest that Apple may not be offering special pricing on the new iPad mini with Retina display for this year's Black Friday sales event. This is in line with previous years, as Apple does not usually offer discounts on items that are in limited supply.

Meanwhile, MacMall has also extended AppleInsider readers exclusives discounts on 7 MacBook Pro configurations when using the links in this article or our price guides below (updated regularly at prices.appleinsider.com) and then manually applying Promo Code APPLEINSIDER01. In our price guides, Macs that have exclusive discounts for BlackFriday have an exclamation point (!) after their price , while those with special pricing for AppleInsider readers via the aforementioned Promo Code have a carrot (^) after their price. It should be noted that MacMall also only charges sales tax on orders shipped to CA, NY, IL, WI, MN, CO, TN, NC and GA. Readers can also check out how MacMall's prices stack up against the competition when 3-yeas of AppleCare are purchased on the same order via our New Mac + AppleCare Price Guide.

Discounts on iPods are also available, with $11 off iPod nanos, up to $31 off iPod touch models, and $11 savings on the iPod classic. The Apple TV is also available with a $9 savings, while $21 can be had off the AirPort Extreme Base Station and AirPort Time Capsule.

The discounts advertised by MacMall may offer an indication of what Apple plans to offer for its own Black Friday discounts, both at the company's retail outlets and its online store. Readers who pick up new gear over Black Friday should also consider trading in their old iPads, iPhones, and Macs for cash to help offset the costs.

This Black Friday, most Apple Retail Stores will open at 6 a.m. local time, according to Gary Allen of ifoAppleStore. Closing times will vary, but many locations will have special hours open until 10 p.m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Agggg.

That 11" MacBook Air is _mighty tempting_. Is that a for-real, current model offer?

Must control impulse to buy.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Agggg.

That 11" MacBook Air is _mighty tempting_. Is that a for-real, current model offer?

Must control impulse to buy.

Ah- it is last year's (non-Haswell) model.

Still mighty tempting, tho.

• Reply 3 of 9
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Still mighty tempting, tho.

Indeed. And 64GB does seem cramped, but if you compare it to an iPad it's on par with it. And there are tools to trim OSX a bit, by deleting all the language stuff and apps you don't need. Flush caches and what not and it can be a great machine. You could pull a Samsung and use an USB stick or SDXC card with adapter for larger storage options.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

This is breaking news??? Bahahahaha

• Reply 5 of 9
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Those MBAs are on sale because nobody wants one with a miserly 4GB of RAM.

Pay the extra and get one with 8GB. It's worth every penny.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dualie wrote: »
    Those MBAs are on sale because nobody wants one with a miserly 4GB of RAM.

Pay the extra and get one with 8GB. It's worth every penny.

ormally I max stuff out to make it future proof. But I'm a techie, and not your average Joe. For those, simply browsing, email, FB whatnot - light stuff - I'd say 4GB is enough. Heck, I even think 64GB storage is enough for Joe.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Beware of MacMall deals. Last year I fell for a free Parallels 8 offer on Black Friday only to have my rebate rejected for generic reasons. I tried contacting them numerous times to find out why my rebate was rejected. When some one finally did respond they tried negotiating a store credit with me for half the value of the original rebate. I never did get my rebate. Well, they might have "won" that little fight with me for $40 but they lost the war as far as I'm concerned. I will never give them another dime of my business and routinely direct others to purchase elsewhere. By my numbers that's equalled out to about $4k over the last year. Maybe not big number to them but it does make me feel better after backing out on a $40 rebate. These guys always have fine print somewhere, and if you're unluckily like me you never find it even after a year later.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

ormally I max stuff out to make it future proof. But I'm a techie, and not your average Joe. For those, simply browsing, email, FB whatnot - light stuff - I'd say 4GB is enough. Heck, I even think 64GB storage is enough for Joe.

A techie on a board full of techies.

There are better, and cheaper, devices to recommend if all one wants to do is email and browsing. But for things like travelling, expanded networking options, graphics apps, games, and general multitasking 4GB is decidedly nowhere near enough. A MacBook Air with only 4GB of RAM is a waste of money. Even with the deceptively attractive sale price. Now if they offered the 8GB version for a $100 more it would be and outstanding deal.

• Reply 9 of 9
    dualie wrote: »
    There are better, and cheaper, devices to recommend if all one wants to do is email and browsing.

There are? Like an iPod you mean? I wouldn't want to call that an alternative.
    But for things like travelling, expanded networking options, graphics apps, games, and general multitasking 4GB is decidedly nowhere near enough.

Travelling? Network options? Graphics? What has that got to do with system memory? And with 10.9 even multitasking isn't tasking the RAM as much as it used to. I've seen Macs with 2GB RAM running 10.9 and they work perfectly fine.