Apple stock closes above $550, breaks into positive territory for the year

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post



    Thank goodness for small favors. It's high time Apple stock started to move. It's only taken nearly all of 2013 to get some life into a very left-for-dead stock. Even companies like H-P, Cisco and Intel have put Apple to shame as an investment in 2013. It's hard for me to fathom how a company like Apple that has a huge mountain of cash reserve can't create some sort of an additional revenue stream and simply allows shareholders to be bashed in their heads while the entire stock market is reaching record heights and every other tech company is making out like a bandit. Money was being thrown around like confetti by investors and Apple got next to nothing. Amazon, Google, Netflix and Priceline have gone into the stratosphere while Apple simply sat parked in the hangar without an engine or a pilot.



    Exactly what kind of management is Apple running when they can't take advantage of a market where investors are just throwing money at everything, no matter how risky? It's not that easy to turn one's company into a toxic investment. A company would have to do something very, very wrong. H-P must be one of the sickest tech companies around and yet it's share price doubled in 2013. It just seems like Apple took a leave of absence the entire year. Apple treats shareholders like dirt considering the amount of wealth the company has at its disposal for anything it could possibly dream of doing. I'm just hopeful Apple doesn't shaft shareholders like they did last year by handing over their entire mobile business to Samsung two years in a row. What a fiasco that was. It still hurts to think about it.

     

    Oh please, just shut the **** up. I think I speak for this entire forum when I say we're beyond sick of your mind-numbingly asinine rants. Maybe the rapidly rising stock should have clued you in to the fact that investors/analysts were wrong, as were their assessments, and now they're correcting that. THEY were wrong, and not Apple.  Even with this story, instead of saying a shred of something positive, all that comes out of you is incessant bile. So what exactly do you expect for the future? Should Apple's stock price keep rising, linearly, to perpituity? How does that work, exactly? And when if it doesnt (cause you know, we live in reality, where that's impossible), is Apple a failure of a company? In case you haven't noticed, Apple doesn't, and has NEVER, ran itself to please shareholders. Also, amazing how Apple "handed its entire mobile business to Samsung" while increasing it's sales dramatically over 2 years. That's some fucked up, twisted math you're using to back up your shit-filled ramblings. Incredibly, Apple saw record sales, revenue, and profit when it had "no engine, and no pilot" as you say, and last I checked, those are some pretty fucking important in order to define the success of a company.  Instead of spending all your time mocking and attacking the leadership of the most successful company on the planet, maybe you should assess what exactly you've accomplished in life to make you think you're in a position to dish out such mockery. Other than being a hate-filled keyboard warrior, that is. If I didn't own stock, I'd almost wish it would drop to zero just to spite you, you deserve to lose all that money because of your incredibly shitty, short-sighted perspective. Comparing Apple to those other companies, and saying they're "making out like bandits" shows where your priorities lie, in terms of the goals of these companies.  I invested @ $400 because I had confidence in the company. I was right. Apple was right. You were wrong. Investors were wrong. Deal with it. Apple doesn't owe you, or anyone, a fucking thing. Stop acting as if they do. 

  • Reply 22 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member

    I am a tech guy not an investor, but I know enough to know that price goes up when supply goes down. And Apple has been buying up a lot of their own stock haven't they, so could that explain it?

  • Reply 23 of 32
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post



    Thank goodness for small favors. It's high time Apple stock started to move. It's only taken nearly all of 2013 to get some life into a very left-for-dead stock. Even companies like H-P, Cisco and Intel have put Apple to shame as an investment in 2013. It's hard for me to fathom how a company like Apple that has a huge mountain of cash reserve can't create some sort of an additional revenue stream and simply allows shareholders to be bashed in their heads while the entire stock market is reaching record heights and every other tech company is making out like a bandit. Money was being thrown around like confetti by investors and Apple got next to nothing. Amazon, Google, Netflix and Priceline have gone into the stratosphere while Apple simply sat parked in the hangar without an engine or a pilot.



    Exactly what kind of management is Apple running when they can't take advantage of a market where investors are just throwing money at everything, no matter how risky? It's not that easy to turn one's company into a toxic investment. A company would have to do something very, very wrong. H-P must be one of the sickest tech companies around and yet it's share price doubled in 2013. It just seems like Apple took a leave of absence the entire year. Apple treats shareholders like dirt considering the amount of wealth the company has at its disposal for anything it could possibly dream of doing. I'm just hopeful Apple doesn't shaft shareholders like they did last year by handing over their entire mobile business to Samsung two years in a row. What a fiasco that was. It still hurts to think about it.

     

     

    By the way, you should take English lessons - e.g. "its" not "it's". It hurts you to think because you're not good at it.

  • Reply 24 of 32
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

     

     

    Only the SPECULATORS were getting bashed ... INVESTORS have been doing quite well via Apple...  I have shares purchased for $60 and they did just fine in 2013. :)

    Even the majority that were purchased at $130 have been "up" for years now ... AND generating dividends (recently).


    Great for you that you bought in at $60. But what are you smoking to think that your $AAPL shares did just fine in 2013? Only now has the share price gone back to its starting price at beginning of the year. 

     

    You bought in at a great time, but what value you have now is no thanks to 2013.

  • Reply 25 of 32
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

     

    I am a tech guy not an investor, but I know enough to know that price goes up when supply goes down. And Apple has been buying up a lot of their own stock haven't they, so could that explain it?


    Interesting question.

     

    Let's look at $AAPL's latest run starting from its most recent low of $450 on Sept 16. On the same day, its market cap was $409B.

    $AAPL is now at $556. Its current market cap is $500B.

     

    The share price has gone up by 23.5%. The market cap has gone up by 22%. What do you think?

  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kantx View Post



    I had two iPhone 3 from 2008, still perfectly functional until last month when I gave one to a monk and another to an elderly couple.

    Why would a monk want an iPhone? Aren't they supposed to have taken a vow of silence?

     

    Oh wait...there's always the Jesus app ;-)

     

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jesus-evangelism-tool-by-mobile/id318621078?mt=8

  • Reply 27 of 32
    kantxkantx Posts: 22member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

     

    Why would a monk want an iPhone? Aren't they supposed to have taken a vow of silence?

     

    Oh wait...there's always the Jesus app ;-)

     

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jesus-evangelism-tool-by-mobile/id318621078?mt=8


    You should update your vision of a monk.

  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

     

    ... But what are you smoking to think that your $AAPL shares did just fine in 2013? ...


     

    Because I'm INVESTING... not SPECULATING.  I'm not playing short-term market changes, I own part of a company. I really don't care much about ups and down over periods of months ... that's just part of the game.  I'm more concerned with what I think my investment will be worth DECADES down the road (years, at the least.)

    So despite the swings and "poor" performance if measured over ONLY the last 12 months, I'm taking a longer view, and my AAPL stock is still doing quite well.

     

    The smoking, however, is going to have to wait till I'm done with my current "career".

  • Reply 29 of 32
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member

    It's pretty clear by now that the 2012 run up to $700 was not based on Apple's performance. It was unrealistic. It was based on the greed of a lot of Wall Street investment professionals who were late to the AAPL story and were jumping on the bandwagon at the last minute. The bandwagon broke from the weight of all those clowns, but note what happened in 2013: AAPL hit a bottom mid year & has been recovering steadily ever since. This represents the Facts about Apple reasserting themselves! Now, AAPL is poised on the threshold of a realistic run to $600, $700 & beyond, this time for real. This is not exactly the sad story many are making it out to be. Apple is doing fine. Leave Tim Cook alone & let him run it.

  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by garyp View Post

     

    It's pretty clear by now that the 2012 run up to $700 was not based on Apple's performance. It was unrealistic. It was based on the greed of a lot of Wall Street investment professionals who were late to the AAPL story and were jumping on the bandwagon at the last minute. The bandwagon broke from the weight of all those clowns, but note what happened in 2013: AAPL hit a bottom mid year & has been recovering steadily ever since. This represents the Facts about Apple reasserting themselves! Now, AAPL is poised on the threshold of a realistic run to $600, $700 & beyond, this time for real. This is not exactly the sad story many are making it out to be. Apple is doing fine. Leave Tim Cook alone & let him run it.


    There is no such thing as a realistic, performance based run or an unrealistic run. When the wind blows, go with it and stop pretending you know when it is going to stop or change directions.

  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

     

     

    Because I'm INVESTING... not SPECULATING.  I'm not playing short-term market changes, I own part of a company. I really don't care much about ups and down over periods of months ... that's just part of the game.  I'm more concerned with what I think my investment will be worth DECADES down the road (years, at the least.)

    So despite the swings and "poor" performance if measured over ONLY the last 12 months, I'm taking a longer view, and my AAPL stock is still doing quite well.

     

    The smoking, however, is going to have to wait till I'm done with my current "career".


    I think he's talking about the fact that, while the stock has done well since you bought it years ago, it is right now the same as it was in early 2013. So 2013 has not be a good (or awful) year for the share. Once 2013 is not over yet!

  • Reply 32 of 32

    I made a chunk of money buying AAPL as it dipped down in value this year, and sold yesterday at $572.  I think that's about what AAPL should be valued, or at least close enough that I want to take my profits.  

     

    Personally I'm just waiting for a stock market correction at this point.  There are almost no "value" stocks available.  The stock market is very overvalued.  I still have a small portion of AAPL stock that I'll hang on to, but I'm young and am currently at something like 55% bonds 45% stocks.  I'll keep selling stocks if the stock market keeps moving up.

Sign In or Register to comment.