Tim Cook tweets support for World AIDS Day, tints Apple Store logos red

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Apple's chief executive Tim Cook called attention to World AIDS Day via Twitter, noting that the company would be "turning Appe's logo red" in support of achieving an AIDS-free generation.

World AIDS Day

Included in the tweet was an image of an Apple Store with a red-tinted logo, an awareness campaign Apple began last year on December 1. Using antiretroviral drugs, researchers believe it may be possible to achieve an AIDS-free generation by 2015, reducing the 700 babies born with HIV every day in 2012 to virtually zero over the next two years.

We are marking #World AIDS Day by turning Apple's logo red. Together we can achieve an AIDS free generation. pic.twitter.com/3kdx9UZr9f

— Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

In 2011, Apple Store employees began specifically promoting Product(RED) products, which Apple donates part of the purchase price to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa.

Apple has been selling Product(RED) devices since 2006, the year the program was created by U2 lead singer Bono and Bobby Shriver. Bono praised Steve Jobs for calling attention to the program, noting that Apple has has been the largest contributor to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS and that "Apple's involvement has encouraged other companies to step up."

Last year, Apple started tinting store logos red for World AIDS Day, as well as linking to the JoinRed.com site from its public web page, calling attention to other fund raising activities linked to the Global Fund.

In November, Apple's lead designer Jony Ive and industrial designer Marc Newson collaborated on a series of products auctioned off to raise money for the Global Fund.

The products offered for auction included a special Product (RED) Mac Pro that brought in $977,000, a pair of rose gold Apple Earpods that sold for $461,000; a 1966 bottle of Dom P?rignon housed in a red cooler auctioned for $93,750; a custom designed Leica Digital Rangefinder Camera that fetched $1,805,000 and "The (RED) Desk," which was sold for $1,685,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I saw them changing the logo to red at the 5th Av cube last night. Unbelievable amount of effort to reach the apple. They built scaffolding from the sales floor around the spiral staircase that met in the middle high above the staircase. They had to cover all the glass handrails on the staircase with cardboard just in case a tool fell. All while the store was still open (5th av is open 24hrs)
  • Reply 2 of 19
    And this holiday season, instead of getting any of you here a gift, I've made a donation in your name to The Human Fund. You're welcome! ;P
  • Reply 3 of 19

So if Apple supported LGBT, they could return to the classic rainbow-colored logo from the 70s! 

• Reply 4 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So if Apple supported LGBT, they could return to the classic rainbow-colored logo from the 70s! 
    Ew, no. Fugly colors. Anyway, since when doesn't Apple support LGBT causes?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They could do a modern version of it. I would like that...The old version is ugly. 

Something like this:

• Reply 6 of 19
    Too bad the sign doesn't use programmable LEDs. Would make adjusting the color much easier
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Too bad the sign doesn't use programmable LEDs. Would make adjusting the color much easier
    If only they sold those Phillips Hue bulbs in Apple stores.... oh... wait a minute.... :D
  • Reply 8 of 19

Agreed.... but for one day a year? :D

Maybe if they colored the Apple logo many times a year that would make sense...
  • Reply 9 of 19

Green for St Patrick's Day.

Orange for Hallowe'en.

The possibilities are, well, not as endless as the 250-color instrument cluster on a Mustang.

• Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

If only they sold those Phillips Hue bulbs in Apple stores.... oh... wait a minute.... image

Ah, yes. Perhaps it's time to update ye olde logo lighting.

• Reply 11 of 19
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Aids is out of control in Africa and the problem will not be solved by anti retroviral drugs, in fact drugs that can be taken the day after  suspected contact with a person with the virus, are being used by prostitutes to have unprotected sex. This, is but one example showing that the problem is one of education that tackles the problem at it's most fundamental level. This pink apple logo is nothing more than a little pet feelgood project by Tim and has more to do with his own agenda than anything else. Give me a break.

• Reply 12 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    analogjack wrote: »
    Aids is out of control in Africa and the problem will not be solved by anti retroviral drugs, in fact drugs that can be taken the day after  suspected contact with a person with the virus, are being used by prostitutes to have unprotected sex. This, is but one example showing that the problem is one of education that tackles the problem at it's most fundamental level. This pink apple logo is nothing more than a little pet feelgood project by Tim and has more to do with his own agenda than anything else. Give me a break.

Sure, we'll give you a break. If you give Tim a break as well.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ew, no. Fugly colors. Anyway, since when doesn't Apple support LGBT causes?

I didn't say they didn't. I wanted an excuse to bring back the classic rainbow logo.

• Reply 14 of 19
    Enough of this already. The color is fine but leave your agenda in your bedroom because I for one and many others are tired of it in our faces. I don't care if you or he is gay, just write a fucking check and and shut up.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbll View Post

Enough of this already. The color is fine but leave your agenda in your bedroom because I for one and many others are tired of it in our faces. I don't care if you or he is gay, just write a fucking check and and shut up.

Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you posted this in the wrong thread?

• Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you posted this in the wrong thread?

No, he posted it in the right thread, he's just an immature brat. If Jobs was supporting anti-AIDS efforts while he was alive, what's the difference anyway?

• Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, he posted it in the right thread, he's just an immature brat. If Jobs was supporting anti-AIDS efforts while he was alive, what's the difference anyway?

Heh…two posts. Figures.

• Reply 18 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Curing AIDS is important, but given what happened to Steve, I think it would be better if cancer was their big cause. It also kills more people than AIDS.

• Reply 19 of 19
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    robbll wrote: »

I'm sorry? Did someone in 2013 still classify AIDS as a gay only disease? I suggest you go read up.

Apple are doing sterling work here. They are utilising their brand and channel to highlight the continual threat of AIDS. Good on them.