How will the MacPro be introduced?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

ANY news at all about the MacPro? Jesus, Apple is really just trying to kill their Mac division aren't they? No more 17inch MacBook, a MacPro line that has been languishing beyond belief... just spin it off already and concentrate your demise on the consumer device bullshit

• Reply 22 of 80
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

Jesus, Apple is really just trying to kill their Mac division aren't they?

No, since they’re explicitly releasing it and have obviously done a few million dollars worth of R&D to continue to build these new models of computer… 

Think.

EDIT: Hey, you’re right, Phil; that is a nice signature. Describes my life perfectly.

• Reply 23 of 80

Just a couple of days to go. 

The suspense...

• Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just a couple of days to go. 

The suspense...

Just out of curiosity, are you actually planning on buying anything?

• Reply 25 of 80

Yes.  I am certainly considering a MacPro.  

• Reply 26 of 80

December is here...

• Reply 27 of 80

December is here...

And 20 more days until they hit their deadline.

• Reply 28 of 80
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And 20 more days until they hit their deadline.

Typically they make store updates on Tuesdays. I don't see how the sense of urgency would be so great that they would break such a cycle due to a change in month. That's just how I see it.

• Reply 29 of 80
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Typically they make store updates on Tuesdays. I don't see how the sense of urgency would be so great that they would break such a cycle due to a change in month. That's just how I see it.

Simple answer, then. It will either be available for purchase on the 3rd, 10th, or 17th. Three shots.

• Reply 30 of 80
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Yes.  I am certainly considering a MacPro.  

Not a slam, but I don't know how anyone can truly consider a Mac Pro without knowing the price of the monitor to which it's being attached.

Are we really going to buy a new monitor with FW800 ports? It seems odd that the replacement hasn't been announced [or rumoured] yet.

• Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Are we really going to buy a new monitor with FW800 ports? It seems odd that the replacement hasn't been announced [or rumoured] yet.

There are 6 thunderbolt ports. There's no compelling reason to only consider that in a monitor. If you use displayport, you'll still have enough thunderbolt ports to saturate the allotted bandwidth. It's 3 chips to 6 ports.

• Reply 32 of 80
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Maybe I phrased that badly. I didn't strictly mean a 'replacement' for the FW ports.

I meant that the replacement for the Apple 27" Thunderbolt display is overdue.

I presume Apple's just going to swap USB 3 ports on the monitor for the FW ports and ship a new version, unless they have managed somehow to produce a new 4K Thunderbolt monitor without anyone getting wind of it.

The release of the Pro is supposed to satisfy pent-up demand for high end machines from cheese grater owners over the last five years.

I can't imagine Apple asking those guys to pair the new next-gen machine with last year's monitor.

• Reply 33 of 80

Dell seems to be planning one. It's quite expensive, but prices will come down.

• Reply 34 of 80
    hmm wrote: »
    Dell seems to be planning one. It's quite expensive, but prices will come down.

Thanks for that link. It didn't state any indication of the price though. You got it from another site? Anyway, 24" will be too small for me, as I now use an ACD 30". I really hope Apple will release a similar sized 4k monitor, but I don't think they will release one. Perhaps when it is adapted by some, lowering panel prices.

edit: Asus has a 31.5" for $3322

Aperture looks 'kinda nice' on it

As for size, Firefly7475 posted good info on The Verge:
    The desktop monitor I’m using at the moment is 108 PPI and that’s pushing the limits of what is comfortable. I’d say the minimum size for a 4K monitor to be comfortably viewed would be around ~38 inches (115 PPI).

The trouble is this… a 38 inch monitor is too large to view from 2 feet away ? you move a foot further away ? 115 PPI is now too small to be viewed comfortably ? you increase the size to 40 inches ? a 40 inch monitor is too large to view from 3 feet away ? you move a foot further away ? etc etc

I think the maximum 16:9 monitor size comfortable to use is <30 inches, which means the “ideal” monitor would actually be 30 inches with a resolution of 3040×1710 (116PPI).

Since the view-size issue is mainly with the vertical resolution, a solution (of sorts!) might be found in ultra-wide or curved monitors. I could imagine a 37 inch 21:9 monitor at 3990×1710 would be both functional and comfortable.

• Reply 35 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for that link. It didn't state any indication of the price though. You got it from another site? Anyway, 24" will be too small for me, as I now use an ACD 30". I really hope Apple will release a similar sized 4k monitor, but I don't think they will release one. Perhaps when it is adapted by some, lowering panel prices.

There are suggested prices for both the 24" and 28" here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/02/dell-ultrasharp-4k-monitors/

"The UltraSharp 32 is now up for grabs worldwide for $3,499, while the $1,399 UltraSharp 24 is only available in South and North America to begin with and elsewhere on December 16th. No word yet on how much exactly the UltraSharp 28 will cost, but Dell did say we can expect it to be under $1,000 when it hits shelves in "early 2014"".

It's odd that a 28" 4K would be under $1000 while a 24" 4K would be $1399 but it says the same in Dell's press release:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/secure/2013-12-2-dell-ultrasharp-ultra-hd-monitors

Currently Dell has a 27" IPS 1080p panel at $349:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=210-ABIH

and a more expensive 24"

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-9567

so perhaps the 28" will be a slightly lower quality panel but still, if it's an IPS panel, it should be good enough for most uses.

If Apple can use the same panel, I imagine they can get below $1000 too because they undercut Dell's 27" last time. Maybe this is what's been holding up the Mac Pro launch after all. If they didn't have a 4K Thunderbolt display ready in time, people would likely just opt for the Dell ones and Apple would miss out on a whole bunch of display sales.

It'll be Thunderbolt 2, Magsafe 2, USB 3, I'd guess slim design like the iMac without the bump (which may affect speaker quality) and laminated anti-glare panel.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Marvin wrote: »

There are suggested prices for both the 24" and 28" here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/02/dell-ultrasharp-4k-monitors/

"The UltraSharp 32 is now up for grabs worldwide for $3,499

Well, that's not expensive then. The 30" ACD was $3,299

I wonder what a compatible video card would cost for my 5,1

It'll be Thunderbolt 2, Magsafe 2, USB 3, I'd guess slim design like the iMac without the bump (which may affect speaker quality) and laminated anti-glare panel.

I don't think they'll want to put speakers in. If they release a 4k monitor I think it's aimed at the Pro market. They could add a recommendation section when choosing option for your MP and add speakers there.

It really should be a matte screen, but somehow I think they truly think the glossy ones are what Pros want to use nowadays. I know, they're way less glossy now, but still...I prefer matte.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wonder what a compatible video card would cost for my 5,1

An expensive option would be the Quadro K5000:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000-mac.html#pdpContent=0

Displayport 1.2, 4K, 60Hz. But you'd be as well buying the new Mac Pro at that price.

There's a Radeon 7950:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1777&psn=&leg=0&lid=1#

but it says 4K support is only on Windows. I'm sure someone will buy one of these displays eventually and test which cards work. It's important to get one that'll run it at 60Hz too and not 30Hz.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

but it says 4K support is only on Windows. I'm sure someone will buy one of these displays eventually and test which cards work. It's important to get one that'll run it at 60Hz too and not 30Hz.

I noticed the same thing with the 680 mac edition, although that one doesn't officially support 4K on OSX at all. It might be possible to fool OSX into believing a 7970 is a mac edition card. Some people have claimed to get Windows cards to show up as firepros under Mavericks. I never jump on these things quickly. It's always an expensive nightmare trying to be the first with a new display spec.

• Reply 39 of 80

One Tuesday down in December and still no nMP. Sigh.

• Reply 40 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One Tuesday down in December and still no nMP. Sigh.

Apple is on California time so we still have a couple of hours to go. But yeah it is sad. What other company out there could take a pro product off the sales sheet for so long and not suffer because of it. By the way isn't it Winter yet, I'm thinking they missed their fall debut.