Android users accounted for 40% of Apple's iPad sales on Black Friday - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Android loyalty does not seem to extend to tablets, as new data suggests that 4 out of every 10 iPad units moved during last week's Black Friday shopping event were purchased by customers who use smartphones powered by Google's operating system.

iPad sales rankings
Sales rankings at major retailers on Black Friday. | Source: InfoScout

The report --?by retail analytics firm InfoScout --?brings color to the massive popularity of Apple's new iPad lineup, which extends even to users already invested in rival mobile platforms. The firm tracked over 100,000 shopping trips during the annual holiday shopping kick-off.

Apple's tablets took 5 of the top 15 sales slots at major retailers Walmart, Target, and Best Buy. The 16-gigabyte iPad mini was the top seller at Walmart, while the 16-gigabyte iPad Air, 16-gigabyte iPad mini, and 32-gigabyte iPad Air swept all three podium positions at Target.

The iPad 2, despite lacking a Retina display and toting Apple's previous-generation 30-pin dock connector port, put in a surprising second-place showing at Best Buy, beating out Amazon's Kindle Fire and Samsung's Galaxy Tablet. iPad 2 sales were exceeded only by the heavily-discounted 32-gigabyte Microsoft Surface RT.

Despite reports that Android is gaining ground in market share, Apple's iPad continues to dominate real-world tablet usage. Data revealed this summer by web analytics firm Chitika showed Apple with a mountainous 84.3 percent usage share, data that Apple CEO Tim Cook later cited when asked about Android's growing portion of tablet sales.

Earlier this month, a report from Singapore proffered a unique explanation for the sales-versus-usage gap: low-cost, Android-powered TV sticks --?similar to Google's new Chromecast dongle --?are said to register as Android tablets during the registration process. The devices, which can be had for as little as $100, are a popular means of watching pirated video content throughout Asia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53

• Reply 2 of 53
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Another Fake report paid by Samsung. Android users dont have money let alone money to buy an ipad.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I think (former) Android users were getting so fed up buying replacement tablets every so often because they were such crap, that in the long run it was just cheaper to buy an iPad once and be done with it.

Fear not, there will be some moron Fandroid here that will spin this story.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think (former) Android users were getting so fed up buying replacement tablets every so often because they were such crap, that in the long run it was just cheaper to buy an iPad once and be done with it.

Fear not, there will be some moron Fandroud here that will spin this story.

Don't blame them

• Reply 5 of 53
    iPad 2 sales were exceeded only by the heavily-discounted 32-gigabyte Microsoft Surface RT...

Future headline:
    The heavily-discounted 32-gigabyte Microsoft Surface RT had the highest gift return ratio of any tech product sold this holiday season....
  • Reply 6 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Fear not, there will be some moron Fandroud here that will spin this story.

Well it's obvious, due to Android's openness anyone familiar with the command line will be able to sync photo's between their awesome Android phone and the iPad viewing platform media consumption device, in a mere seventeen steps.

Google+ is abuzz with two or three people who can help a novice out.

• Reply 7 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sflocal wrote: »

I don't know, this is pretty tempting¡

[video]
  • Reply 8 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I have never owned an Android tablet but I would think the biggest drawback would be the lack of native tablet apps. The iPad has how many iPad native apps? Around 300,000 or so I believe. There are a few apps on my iPad that are not native like Kakao Talk and it is really an inferior experience. You can double the size but it just isn't the same. With so many Android tablet sizes and resolutions I would imagine that most apps will not give you an optimum experience. I can understand why some may prefer an Android phone to an iPhone due to screen size but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would prefer an Android tablet over an iPad on anything other than price. 

• Reply 9 of 53
    how mad are the people who got the 200 buck surface tablet going to be when they realize its a heavy app'less tablet and a poor preforming laptop.

MS has tried this before and failed
  • Reply 10 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I have never owned an Android tablet but I would think the biggest drawback would be the lack of native tablet apps. The iPad has how many iPad native apps? Around 300,000 or so I believe. There are a few apps on my iPad that are not native like Kakao Talk and it is really an inferior experience. You can double the size but it just isn't the same. With so many Android tablet sizes and resolutions I would imagine that most apps will not give you an optimum experience. I can understand why some may prefer an Android phone to an iPhone due to screen size but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would prefer an Android tablet over an iPad on anything other than price. 

The two most common reasons I read/hear about for not buying an Apple product is cost and a general dislike for Apple.

The former is oft irrational and the latter is always irrational.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Might be worth Apple's time to create an Android version of the Apple Store app for those "thinking" about getting Apple products.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Even The PepBoys Part stores are offering $69 Android tables, I wonder how many of those piece of crap will end up in the electronic recycle bins but also show up in market share analysis.

There were a few other stores which you would not associate with selling electronics is offering these cheap Android tables. They are definitely flooding the market with more cheap Android stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know, this is pretty tempting¡

Yeah.. tempting to throw it in the trash bin.  :)

• Reply 14 of 53
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I wonder how many iPhone/iPad users bought Android tablets in comparison?

Android tablets are lacking in quality apps (which non-iPad users don't believe!) they are abandoned by their makers very quickly, they lack the complete clone backup-restore process that makes getting a new iOS device (or warranty swap) far more painless, they have malware and fake apps galore even on Google's own store, and the wrong download can destroy your battery life, privacy, or system stability in ways that iOS prevents.

But hey, you can customize your home screen more :)
  • Reply 15 of 53
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

The iPad 2 seems to be seen as a sort of 1980's mercedes benz, a bit long in the tooth but quality nevertheless.

• Reply 16 of 53
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Android users buying into Apple?

Welcome to the club.

Seriously.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I wonder how many iPhone/iPad users bought Android tablets in comparison?

Two*

* reflects net sold after 17.5million units returned during specified quarter.

• Reply 18 of 53
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The two most common reasons I read/hear about for not buying an Apple product is cost and a general dislike for Apple.

But, but, but.....!!! Walled garden!!! Open!!! Umpteen-cores!!! Cheap!!!
  • Reply 19 of 53
    solipsismx wrote: »

But they claim to have a monopoly on rational thinking.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »
    Android users buying into Apple?

Welcome to the club.

Seriously.

Ever so subtle; well played!