Linux Now Works on the iPod!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

It only works on Windows iPods right now, but maybe soon it will work with Mac ones.

Visit the site: <a href="http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/"; target="_blank">http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/</a>;

This proves that Linux fans will do anything to get Linux to run on any thing with a microprocessor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    !!Nice!!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I have one question though... Can you get a Window Manager to run on there? i.e. KDE, GNOME etc....
  • Reply 3 of 12
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>I have one question though... Can you get a Window Manager to run on there? i.e. KDE, GNOME etc....</strong><hr></blockquote>

no
  • Reply 4 of 12
    so X11 programs wont run...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sure they will. They'll just crash
  • Reply 6 of 12
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>Why would I want to run Linux on my iPod???</strong><hr></blockquote>

So you can play Doom.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh boy. This looks really useful, just like the rest of Linux.

(apologies to all you Linux g33ks out there, I had to poke fun at y'all!)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i cant wait until nibbles makes it to 'Pod. then life'll be grand(er than presently). i wont have to be near my computer (or any other internet capable computer) to play nibbles. oh, life is swyyt (why the heck did i put y's where e's belong? why did i not correct it and instead comment on it? do these ridiculous questions ever cease?)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    For the curious, X11 apps wont run as the cut down version of Linux used lacks mmap().

For those wordering about the utility, it already plays ogg vorbis files and has the potential to allow two iPods connected by firewire to swap songs.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>...why the heck did i put y's where e's belong? why did i not correct it and instead comment on it?...</strong><hr></blockquote>

The same reason someone ported Linux to the iPod: because you could, and you were probably bored.