Messaging app 'WhatsApp' gets updated for iOS 7, 'Paper' adds support for new drawing stylus

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Two popular iOS apps received updates on Monday, with WhatsApp getting a makeover more consistent with iOS 7's "flat" design aesthetic, while drawing app Paper prepares for its new Pencil stylus.

WhatsApp Messenger

Popular iMessage alternative WhatsApp Messenger has been redesigned to fit in with iOS 7, meaning a "flatter" user interface, new notification sounds and improved picture handling features.

WhatsApp

From the release notes:
- new iOS 7 User Interface
- broadcast lists: communicate with your classmates, work colleagues or just friends by messaging many people at once.
- improved share location: 3D map view, hide places, search places
- large thumbs: see more
- new notification alerts and sounds: WhatsApp Settings > Notifications > New Message.
- application will now use your device text size as configured in iOS Settings > General > Text Size
- new improved User Interface for managing your blocked contacts: WhatsApp Settings > Chat Settings > Blocked
- crop image before sending
WhatsApp was initially a free app, but with explosive growth worldwide and an anti-ad "mantra," the company changed its pricing structure to include a year of no-cost access followed by a yearly charge of $0.99. Those who were using the app prior to the switch were grandfathered in with no annual fee.

WhatsApp Messenger is available as a free download from the iOS App Store.

Paper by FiftyThree

Paper by FiftyThree has made a number of backend changes to accommodate the new "Pencil" hardware accessory made specifically to go along with the app.

Pencil, which began shipping out to preorder customers on Monday, is a stylus shaped like a carpenter's pencil, with a large nib, virtual eraser and magnetic snap that attaches to an iPad's Smart Cover.

Pencil

Adjustments to the Paper app include new palm rejection technology, the ability to sense Pencil's eraser tip and a new blend function that allows users to blend colors and smooth out edges with their fingers.

Finally, the app's "Kaizen" ink engine has been rebuilt, allowing for faster draw times and an overall boost in responsiveness.

Paper by FiftyThree is a free download from the App Store, while Pencil can be ordered through FiftyThree's website for $50 for an anthracite model or $60 for a walnut version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    So still no iPad support with WhatsApp?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Graphite, not anthracite.

I'm going out on a limb here, but if Apple doesn't acquire '53' they are as dumb as a pair of spoons. A drawing app is integral to iPad for businesses and school. They could literally acquire the company, rebrand the Paper app; possibly as a free part of the iWork suite and sell Pencil as a system wide supported peripheral accessory, a feature in iOS 8. So any drawing app can take advantage of pencil. Heck, they could even bring down the price of Pencil to $30+ given the numbers they could sell.

These guys are too talented to let Facebook snap them up. I couldn't think of a better way for Apple to spend $100M. And God knows what new great ideas that talented group are working on. I don't just think Paper is the best drawing app on iPad, I think it's one of the best apps, period.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ireland wrote: »
    Graphite, not anthracite.

I'm going out on a limb here, but if Apple doesn't acquire '53' they are as dumb as a pair of spoons. A drawing app is integral to iPad for businesses and school. They could literally acquire the company, rebrand the Paper app; possibly as a free part of the iWork suite and sell Pencil as a system wide supported peripheral accessory, a feature in iOS 8. So any drawing app can take advantage of pencil. Heck, they could even bring down the price of Pencil to $30+ given the numbers they could sell.

These guys are too talented to let Facebook snap them up. I couldn't think of a better way for Apple to spend $100M. And God knows what new great ideas that talented group are working on. I don't just think Paper is the best drawing app on iPad, I think it's one of the best apps, period.

I don't agree with your idea of Apple purchasing this company at all, regardless of my huge respect for '53' product(s).

1) I think you have to consider that a large part of Apple's ecosystem is made of developers and accessory manufacturers, and supporting any and all of them in any way they can to put out these great products for Apple devices. Choosing one or the other could put a huge damper on innovation and choice of products "Made for Apple" over time.

2) IF there was a company that I would suggest Apple purchasing in the "stylus" category it would be Wacom. First and foremost due to their patents, but also because it is an integral device for the "truck owners" in Post-PC content creation. Every... and I do mean... every(!)... photo doodler to retoucher should have a Wacom tablet. Considering that the majority of pros use a Mac, this is an easy accessory to sell to them in the Apple Store if it was Apple branded and supported. The support provided by Wacom is still lacking, and not all that creditworthy regardless of platform you're using IMO. Search Adobe Forums for current problems.

Just asking: but why is a pair of spoons dumb? Other than "traditional" good manners and etiquette, it allows one to "fill up double as fast". I'm surprised it's not common-place and accepted in America by now, judging by the weight gain of it's populace over the years... :p... :embarrass
  • Reply 4 of 6

WhatsApp is now the largest target for email phishing scams on iOS, Android, PCs and Macs.  I get fake emails all the time alleging I have a "new voice mail" and I have never heard of the app, nor have I ever used it.  So be careful if you use the app, because the notification you receive might be fake.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/whatsapp-new-voicemail-malware-emails.shtml

• Reply 5 of 6

I love Paper…and use it regularly for sketching quick ideas (I like Procreate better for more in-depth illustration/digital painting), but my big gripe here is the Pencil accessory. First of all, all new BT styli (is that the proper pluralization?) seem to have a minimum asking price of $100 these days. That's fine and some are well worth it, but if 53 can produce a stylus like this for as cheap as it is, why not just open it's features up to all drawing apps? They would sell like hotcakes…limiting it to just Paper is…well…limiting.

Not everyone uses Paper or uses it for more serious artwork. Like I said, it's great for sketching quick ideas and while many people might use it for more than that, the toolset and the "notebook" theming of the UI kind of suggest sketching is what its for. Take Pencil and open its feature set up to all drawing/painting apps (or at least those that willingly add support for it) and I foresee a lot more demand in it's future. Not that there isn't any demand for it now…you'll just likely increase it by leaps and bounds now that people won't have to spend $100 for a stylus that recognizes the holy grail feature of iOS drawing apps: palm rejection. One could buy two graphite Pencils for the price of one Adonit Jot Touch or Wacom Intuos Creative stylus. If it works as well as those two styli, then I would definitely buy an extra as a backup for when the first is charging. Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

• Reply 6 of 6
    WhatsApp was initially and for many years sold for $0.99. It's only recently that they offered it free "for a limited time" followed by the pricing model that they've had on other platforms of free for the first year followed by $0.99 per year.