Apple's iOS 7 now powers 74% of North American iPhones - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just three months after its release, Apple's latest mobile operating system is responsible for 74 percent of the internet traffic originating from iOS devices in the U.S. and Canada versus 22 percent for iOS 6, new web analytics data suggests.

iOS version distribution

Adoption has slowed since iOS 7's rocket-like first week --?which saw it explode to take more than 50 percent share --?but continues to outstrip that of its predecessor, iOS 6, according to data collected by web and advertising analytics firm Chitika. The company examined "tens of millions" of ad impressions served to iOS devices in North America between Oct. 25 and Nov. 18.

By comparison, iOS 6 took nearly six months to reach 83 percent of iOS devices.

The streamlined operating system has seen slower growth on Apple's iPad, though much of the difference is likely attributable to first-generation iPads which have not yet reached the end of their useful life. iOS 5 --?the last iOS version supported by the original iPad -- maintains a 9 percent share of iPad traffic.

Apple's ability to migrate device owners to the latest version of their software stands in stark contrast to its primary mobile competition, devices running Google's Android.

Android version distribution

Aside from Google's Nexus family of devices, which are designed to model a "pure Android" experience, phone manufacturers and carriers are in control of how and when their handsets will receive updates. Customizations, like carrier-specific apps and manufacturer-added skins, add to the time required to roll out updates.

Even recently-released flagship devices such as LG's G2, on which Google's new Nexus 5 is based, are not immune. LG has said that the G2 will not receive the latest revision of Android ?-- version 4.4, dubbed "KitKat" --?until March of 2014.

According to Google's developer platform versions dashboard, nearly one quarter of Android devices are still running versions of Android at least two years old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That chart below is the biggest reason I'd never go Android. I don't want my carrier deciding when I get the latest software on my phone.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Those Android statistics are only devices that can connect to Google's Play Store - a majority of "Android" devices on the market today do not have access to that store.
  • Reply 3 of 55

So the other 26% are writing click-bait articles about how awful iOS 7 is and how they will never upgrade and demand Apple return iOS 6 as an option to the 5S and 6 and all future releases?

• Reply 4 of 55

74% is very low.

• Reply 5 of 55
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I always felt that the original iPad should have, at the very least, received iOS 6.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    iOS7 doesn't power anything, it runs on stuff. Batteries power stuff. Com'on.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    chandra69 wrote: »
    74% is very low.
    What?
  • Reply 8 of 55
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

Anedotal evidence I know ....... but my (work provided) Samsung GS2 is still running Android 2.3.3 whereas my iPhone 4S of similar age is running iOS7!

• Reply 9 of 55
    Adoption percentage and the percentage in use are different. To get the full picture we need to know what percentage of iOS devises in use can not be upgraded to iOS 7. I still frequently see iPhone 3G's in use. If it is around 8% for example then iOS is at over 80% on upgradable devices.
    Any idea what percentage of Android devices can theoretically be upgraded to KitKat?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    74% is very low.

Sarcasm, I hope.

Wait, I thought iOS 7 was a complete failure and users are running to Apple HQ with torches and pitchforks.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That chart below is the biggest reason I'd never go Android. I don't want my carrier deciding when I get the latest software on my phone.

I hear you there. I've had 3 Android phones, 2 of them the carrier DROPPED support for the phone less than a year into the 2yr contract so any bugs were never fixed the entire 2 yrs. At least with Apple, they control the phone. When there's an issue they release it ASAP and everyone can get it. We don't have to wait for the carrier to create their own update and test it. 

• Reply 12 of 55
    People are still using iOS3?
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

74% is very low.

For me to POOP ON… wait…

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

People are still using iOS3?

Represent! I am the 0.1%.

• Reply 14 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Aside from Google's Nexus family of devices, which are designed to model a "pure Android" experience, phone manufacturers and carriers are in control of how and when their handsets will receive updates. Customizations, like carrier-specific apps and manufacturer-added skins, add to the time required to roll out updates.

Even recently-released flagship devices such as LG's G2, on which Google's new Nexus 5 is based, are not immune. LG has said that the G2 will not receive the latest revision of Android ?-- version 4.4, dubbed "KitKat" --?until March of 2014.

According to Google's developer <a href="http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html">platform versions dashboard,</a> nearly one quarter of Android devices are still running versions of Android at least two years old.

...yet roughly three weeks after Kit Kat was announced all the big three, Verizon, ATT and T-Mo, (US) already rolled it out to Motorola's Moto X. In fact Verizon was the first to do so :wow:

Even some of the smaller carriers like US Cellular are already offering OTA updates to KitKat for the MotoX. Perhaps Google has more influence with the carriers than they're being given credit for.
  • Reply 15 of 55

I hate hate hate 7.

It crashes and is often unresponsive on my 4S. Makes me so mad, I wish I could go back to 6...

So there.

• Reply 16 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    adyb wrote: »
    Anedotal evidence I know ....... but my (work provided) Samsung GS2 is still running Android 2.3.3 whereas my iPhone 4S of similar age is running iOS7!

Why didn't your employer update to Jellybean? It's been available to the S2 for a long time now. Maybe they consider 2.3.3 good enough for purpose or is it for some other reason?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Originally Posted by RangerD View Post

So there.

At least you didn’t say it was “terrible” or a “failure”; you simply spoke your mind.

• Reply 18 of 55

I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.  Through a quirk, I had to exchange my 5 - the replacement has iOS 6.1.4 on it - and I only wish there were a way to revert my iPad to 6.

7 may indeed be a substantial technical advance, but I agree with those who hatehatehate how it looks.

• Reply 19 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...yet roughly three weeks after Kit Kat was announced all the big three, Verizon, ATT and T-Mo, (US) already rolled it out to Motorola's Moto X. In fact Verizon was the first to do so :wow:

Even some of the smaller carriers like US Cellular are already offering OTA updates to KitKat for the MotoX. Perhaps Google has more influence with the carriers than they're being given credit for.

Googs probably has a say on Moto phones.
    rangerd wrote: »
    I hate hate hate 7.

It crashes and is often unresponsive on my 4S. Makes me so mad, I wish I could go back to 6...

So there.

Are you in 7.0.3? My 4S also froze a lot on 7.0 but it's so much better with 7.0.3.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.  Through a quirk, I had to exchange my 5 - the replacement has iOS 6.1.4 on it - and I only wish there were a way to revert my iPad to 6.

7 may indeed be a substantial technical advance, but I agree with those who hatehatehate how it looks.

At least it no longer looks like Microsoft Bob. :p