"Can't innovate anymore, my a.." - Part I

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Apple does lots of innovations on usability more than hardware itself in my opinion. Some of these go unnoticed. The industry later realizes it and adopts it. USB itself was adopted by Apple first and then only the other markets (PC, servers etc). Adoption of 3.5" floppy drives, ditching them, ditching DVD drives from laptops etc. Curiously, they were a bit slow on the DVD-R addition compared to the WinPC market may be because they were worried about the copying nonsense.

Here is another example. http://feedly.com/k/1hxI5Li

Can u suggest others ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

Interestingly enough, I’ve been keeping a list. I’m sure there’s even more than this. I believe the QuickTake line even had some firsts.

commercial GUI

commercial mouse

keyboard+screen

recessed keyboard

laser printer

17" laptop

Retina laptop

Drop floppy

Drop ODD

USB printing over Wi-Fi

Gigabit Ethernet on consumer products

Sudden Motion Sensor

FireWire

Mini VGA

Mini DVI

Micro DVI

Mini DisplayPort

Thunderbolt

64-bit mobile processor
  • Reply 2 of 4
    luvosx wrote: »
    Here is another example. http://feedly.com/k/1hxI5Li

I still think this isn't the way it should be: it only goes in one way OR the other. A headphone jack goes in anyway you want it (well, except sideways).

But yeah, they innovate. And are proud of the products they didn't release, which might as well be as big as the ones they did release. Funny, they create a product, and then kill it when it became their best selling device. iPod got replaced by iPhone, laptops are being replaced by iPads. Laptops, 3 out of 4 Macs devices. Not saying they will disappear, mind you. That happened to Netbooks, which they fortunately didn't make.
  • Reply 3 of 4

Touch ID (Fingerprint Scaneer), Air Drop, Control Center, iOS 7, True Tone

Mac Pro 2013, iPhone 5s Gold and iPad Air all in one year, personally i am very very very impresed

If another company would have made just one of those, Media Tech it would have call it oh my god that's revolutionary

Like Blackberry they made one phone and build a entire company foundation on one single product

• Reply 4 of 4
    Interestingly enough, I’ve been keeping a list. I’m sure there’s even more than this. I believe the QuickTake line even had some firsts.

commercial GUI
    commercial mouse
    keyboard+screen
    recessed keyboard
    laser printer
    17" laptop
    Retina laptop
    Drop floppy
    Drop ODD
    USB printing over Wi-Fi
    Gigabit Ethernet on consumer products
    Sudden Motion Sensor
    FireWire
    Mini VGA
    Mini DVI
    Micro DVI
    Mini DisplayPort
    Thunderbolt
    64-bit mobile processor

Whoa, did not know they brought laser printing into the world. I thought it was xerox and then hp+apple. Will look it up. Thanks.