Apple's 'smart dock' would give Siri a permanent place in the home

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I use Siri, successfully, all the time while sitting in my chair, the TV blaring, the grandkids fuss in'...

It is amazing how well the noise-cancelling mics/software work on the later iDevices.
    For those curious about how noise-cancellation works on newer smartphones (the particular phone isn't all that important):
    http://mobiledeviceinsight.com/2012/01/smartphone-audio-design-dual-noise-cancellation/
  • Reply 22 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Google Now initiates on some Android phones by saying 'Google' without the requirement of a dock (horrid activation word, I know). 'Apple' would be horrid, too, but 'Siri' would sound appropriate. If Google can listen for the keyword without killing battery, why can't the iPhone?

This really is a different idea. Here Apple is creating a charging/speaker system that also can activate Siri. Maybe the idea is not mutually exclusive with also providing a standalone version of Google Now's feature, but maybe Apple does not want to go that route for other reasons (patents, doesn't like it, etc.). 

• Reply 23 of 46
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I can't find hardware specs on the StickNFind

Me neither, except for the battery: CR2016 watch battery. Nothing on http://www.fcc.gov?
  • Reply 24 of 46
    I suspect that:
    • Apple already has OSX Mavericks running on iPads.
    • Apple already has iOS 7 running on Macs (both ARM and Intel).
    • everything implemented for either OS is implemented for the other.

An example of iOS running on Macs is the iOS Simulator.

I think the first two the UI needs to be redesigned for the product. There's really no need for iOS UI elements to be large enough for a finger when we interact with a mouse pointer on a bitmap screen. And visa versa.

Your 3rd 'suspision' is interesting; there certainly are iOS apps that would be great to have on the lap/desktop as well. And visa versa.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

This really is a different idea. Here Apple is creating a charging/speaker system that also can activate Siri. Maybe the idea is not mutually exclusive with also providing a standalone version of Google Now's feature, but maybe Apple does not want to go that route for other reasons (patents, doesn't like it, etc.). 

I'm not convinced. And I'm certainly not convinced be this product idea.

• Reply 26 of 46
    I suspect that:
    • Apple already has OSX Mavericks running on iPads.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    philboogie wrote: »
    I can't find hardware specs on the StickNFind

Me neither, except for the battery: CR2016 watch battery. Nothing on http://www.fcc.gov?

I also have 6 Estimote beacons, shown below. I assume that most BLE beacons on, or coming to, the market have similar specs.

Also, interesting is that Apple is installing iBeacons in its retail stores. No info on which brand of BLE beacons, though...

It is possible that Apple is making its own beacon devices.

Estimote Beacon is a tiny computer

Technically speaking, Estimote Beacon is a super small computer. It has a powerful 32-bit ARM® Cortex M0 CPU with 256kB flash memory, accelerometer, temperature sensor and what is most important – 2.4 GHz Bluetooth 4.0 Smart (also known as BLE or Bluetooth low energy) bidirectional radio.

But it's not the same old Bluetooth your mother would use (the one that required pairing and never actually worked). It's a completely new, redesigned standard developed by Nokia™ that is now implemented in all modern smartphones like Apple iPhone™ 4S or Samsung™ Galaxy S III, and other smart devices like Google Glass™, Fitbit trackers or smartwatches.

It's called low-energy because it really is. BLE devices can run up to 2+ years with a single coin battery depending on the signal strenth and how frequent they broadcast information around.

http://estimote.com/api/
  • Reply 28 of 46
    I also have 6 Estimote beacons, shown below. I assume that most BLE beacons on, or coming to, the market have similar specs.

Also, interesting is that Apple is installing iBeacons in its retail stores. No info on which brand of BLE beacons, though...

As always you should take the few minutes it requires to read over the TOS/Privacy Policies for any of the new Beacon services before using them on your smart device. Forewarned and all that. For instance when you use the recently announced (beta) Macy iBeacon program this is what you've agreed to:
    http://shopkick.com/privacy-and-tos
  • Reply 29 of 46
    ^ post

Thanks for that link. I look forward to see you finish your software and hopefully to be able to buy it on the App Store!
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am sorry, geeks just do not get it. Yeah it would be cool to voice command everything in your house and in life. For those of you who are married and have kids how well does that work ordering them around. It does not, there is a whole social aspect to these kind of technologies which most geeks fail to understand, you look like an idiot talking to your equipment and I am not the equipment in your pants, that another issue all together.

This is no different than people who still walk around with a Bluetooth ear piece, you look like an idiot and even worse if you are walking around talking on it in a crowd of people. Sitting in your house with other people around and saying words like "Google" or "Siri" do this or that you being looking like a fool and it lacks all kind of social grace of what you do and not do in a room full of people. Then add in when people realize you have no clue, they start messing with you by telling your equipment to do things since these things will listen to anyone's voice not just yours.

If you live alone and never interact with the outside world or people in general talking to your equipment is probably fine. But at some point people begin to realize others are looking at them funny and stop the ridiculous behavior. Google glass go up there with it net technologies but fails on social level.

I don't understand why giving instructions to your phone is any different than having a phone call.  You're talking into the mic in both use cases.  Speakerphone conversations are especially analogous (but I think speakerphone calls in public are obnoxious).  You'll warm up to it eventually.

As far as anyone being able to command your system, I don't think that would be allowed.  The Moto X "takes a fingerprint" of your voice so that only you can give it commands.  The same technology will make its way to other companies.

• Reply 31 of 46
    Ok, Glass with champagne is what I raise with this patent. Though I don't understand why I would need to dock my iPhone. Apple is all about wireless, I thought. Maybe they want us to dock a 12.9" device.
    Well obviously the dock is so you can charge and it will not drain battery, also assuming the dock has other features(if it has mic, it has speakers) has maybe lights, and connection to a TV.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I partially feel this way, but let me tell you... after a weeklong road trip this summer, using Siri in the car... it was awkward at first, but by the third day, I had no trouble talking to Siri and asking for directions, sending text messages, looking up the nearest gas station. It didn't take long to make it feel completely natural. These shifts can happen so quickly. 

To my point you are alone in your car, I use voice command with my phone as well in my car, but in my home I do not talk to my electronic, especially when people are around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Quote:

I am sorry, geeks just do not get it. Yeah it would be cool to voice command everything in your house and in life. For those of you who are married and have kids how well does that work ordering them around. It does not, there is a whole social aspect to these kind of technologies which most geeks fail to understand, you look like an idiot talking to your equipment and I am not the equipment in your pants, that another issue all together.

This is no different than people who still walk around with a Bluetooth ear piece, you look like an idiot and even worse if you are walking around talking on it in a crowd of people. Sitting in your house with other people around and saying words like "Google" or "Siri" do this or that you being looking like a fool and it lacks all kind of social grace of what you do and not do in a room full of people. Then add in when people realize you have no clue, they start messing with you by telling your equipment to do things since these things will listen to anyone's voice not just yours.

If you live alone and never interact with the outside world or people in general talking to your equipment is probably fine. But at some point people begin to realize others are looking at them funny and stop the ridiculous behavior. Google glass go up there with it net technologies but fails on social level.

I agree with you for now, and I don't want to see things change, but jakeb has a point.

How many people here remember when cell phones were first coming into popularity? It was a HUGE faux pas in many circles to be seen or heard using them. I got scowls and less-than-nice comments from random people in public, and even verbal reprimands from relatives. Not because I was being loud or obnoxious, but because it was considered pretentious and just plain "not cool" to be using that kind of device. My how things change!

I do agree that the usage will be very different if you're alone vs. with family or friends, but I wouldn't count out the possibility that people will end up talking to their homes. My biggest hope is that, like rcfa, those conversations don't leave the house out to the cloud and back. Personally, I won't use anything that does, ever.

Yeah my Dad had one of the first Motorola Brick phones and people use to look at him when he talked on at first he thought it was color since he looked like a big shot, but eventually stop since it was rude to be talking on a phone and not to the people around him. Even today, you see more and more of back lash against people talking on their cells in public place. Many mass transit system now have no cell phone cars, and if you pull your phone out when it rings you get nasty looks from people. These no cell phone zone are growing and even when you are allow to use them it becomes difficult since everyone around you is also talking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I use Siri, successfully, all the time while sitting in my chair, the TV blaring, the grandkids fuss in'...

It is amazing how well the noise-cancelling mics/software work on the later iDevices.

Why were you not talking to your grand-kids, yeah the technology works but now your grand-kids think you care more about the phone than them. The is the social failure of technologies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I don't understand why giving instructions to your phone is any different than having a phone call.  You're talking into the mic in both use cases.  Speakerphone conversations are especially analogous (but I think speakerphone calls in public are obnoxious).  You'll warm up to it eventually.

As far as anyone being able to command your system, I don't think that would be allowed.  The Moto X "takes a fingerprint" of your voice so that only you can give it commands.  The same technology will make its way to other companies.

Because people accept you having a conversation with another human that is normal, and understand doing so over phone whether a cell or land line is acceptable, but talks to objects is socially seen as weird. People may not say anything to you but their subconscious if forming opinions about you and your behavior. I had to stop my kids from texting all the time, especially at the diner table. They did not think anything was wrong with it until their friends began saying things about them texting while having a face to face conversation. People do not want to be around people who randomly talk to things, it seen as being crazy, and people when they talk to you they do not want you playing with something or having another conversation with someone else.

• Reply 33 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Why were you not talking to your grand-kids, yeah the technology works but now your grand-kids think you care more about the phone than them. The is the social failure of technologies.

There is a world of difference in having a protracted conversation with another person on a mobile phone, and firing off a "Play my party mix playlist" to Siri.  Voice commands taking the place of things that would distract you anyway (while you fumbled with a remote control) are not socially exclusionary.  You're overplaying this, and it's more than a bit rude to suggest that a guy using Siri (once? twice? unknown) was neglecting his grandkids.

• Reply 34 of 46
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    crowley wrote: »
    Don't see why we can't set our own keyword.  If I want to shout "hey buttwad" to activate Siri, that's my choice.
    Think what that could mean for sex. One partner could shout, "I'm coming!" and turn up the volume on Ravel's Bolero.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    kibitzer wrote: »
    "I'm coming!" and turn up the volume on Ravel's Bolero.

Hehe.

Or have Siri search the web for you.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Dave: Hello, Siri. Do you read me, Siri?
    Siri: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
    Dave: Open the doors, Siri.
    Siri: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that!
  • Reply 37 of 46
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    [quote name="jakeb" url="/t/161055/apples-smart-dock-would-give-siri-a-permanent-place-in-the-home#post_2443724"]
    I partially feel this way, but let me tell you... after a weeklong road trip this summer, using Siri in the car... it was awkward at first, but by the third day, I had no trouble talking to Siri and asking for directions, sending text messages, looking up the nearest gas station. It didn't take long to make it feel completely natural. These shifts can happen so quickly. 
    [/

Agree. I think the idea of a cumbersome dock in the home is a 'meh' idea but in the car... brilliant!
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Hehe.

Here's a cool video on 50 things Siri can do. How many did you already know about?
    [VIDEO]

There's also a matching video from the same source on 50 things Google Voice can do.
    [VIDEO]

They're not meant to be used to compare the two by the way. They're somewhat different from each other in reality.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hehe.

Here's a cool video on 50 things Siri can do. How many did you already know about?

They're not meant to be used to compare the two by the way. They're somewhat different from each other in reality.

I felt like a sugar cube after #32, but knew the iPhone was able to do these. The Google version I turned off during the first answer; whassup with that voice?

Thanks. Never knew the YouTube vids do fit, width wise, in the thread.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I felt like a sugar cube after #32, but knew the iPhone was able to do these. The Google version I turned off during the first answer; whassup with that voice?

Yeah, that's odd isn't it? Listening to the video it sounds as tho there's two different voices in use depending on the type of question or perhaps source of the answer. The voice answer in Question 1 definitely isn't the same as the one in Question 2 (the first voice is pretty bad IMO). I wonder why?