New Union Square Apple Store renderings add water feature to plaza

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Apple's latest plans for its new Union Square retail store in San Francisco involve a redesigned plaza lined with trees and a waterfall.

Union Square Apple Store

Apple's plans to demolish the former Levi's store on a prominent corner of Union Square and build a new glass-fronted minimalist box in its place were delayed by Planning Commission requests to shift the glass facade a few feet inward from the street and to break up the oppressive 20 foot high wall of steel Apple had intended to erect along Stockton.

The company submitted new plans accommodating the requests (above).

Since then, new renderings published by SocketSite depict changes to the rear plaza, including moving an existing fountain closer to the street and enhancing the currently barren concrete platform with trees, benches and a water feature.

The renderings depict what the space would look like during the day and at night, although the amount of sun portrayed reaching the plaza appears optimistic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Gosh, what did I just read that is a “protected landmark” in California… stack of tires, maybe? I think it was a stack of tires… And now I’ll be depressed for the rest of the day for not being able to remember, but half an hour from now I won’t remember why I’m depressed.

• Reply 2 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

I like the area between the buildings being made to look so inviting with people sitting outside at the tables.  The homeless and aggressive panhandlers that infest that area right now I'm sure will love calling that area home.

• Reply 3 of 19
    Way cool
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yes, they really needed an outdoor shower for all the bums in the area.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Trees and a waterfall? It's skeuomorphism gone mad!

• Reply 6 of 19
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Oops, wrong Union Square... :\
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Oops, wrong Union Square... image

Maybe only until that Barnes and Noble on the north side goes toes up eh….. Apples would fit right in with the greenmarket.

• Reply 8 of 19
    What happened to the oppressively ugly fountain the city was trying to "protect?" I don't see it in the new renderings.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

What happened to the oppressively ugly fountain the city was trying to "protect?" I don't see it in the new renderings.

It was in the Side/ rear view from Stockton Street one

• Reply 10 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Glad you asked that ... I skimmed this quickly not being interested in San Francisco and all its Apple Stores :no: ... and assumed it was that fountain they were talking about and I had to go back and read it properly to see there really is a waterfall and a different store ... so is this waterfall a diversion from the Stockton Street debacle ...?

Actually now I know we are getting our own Apple Store here next year I don't need to be snarky out of jealousy anymore. :smokey:
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Glad you asked that ... I skimmed this quickly not being interested in San Francisco and all its Apple Stores image ... and assumed it was that fountain they were talking about and I had to go back and read it properly to see there really is a waterfall and a different store ... so is this waterfall a diversion from the Stockton Street debacle ...?

Actually now I know we are getting our own Apple Store here next year I don't need to be snarky out of jealousy anymore. image

This is the same store. Stockton street borders Union Square. The fountain the city was trying to protect is in the rendering and moved a little closer to the street. They're adding their own water feature to the plaza. SF actually only has  3 apple stores though I would imagine that there's many more spread throughout the valley. For comparison Houston has 4 stores inside the city limit and 3 just outside

• Reply 12 of 19
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    sflocal wrote: »
    I like the area between the buildings being made to look so inviting with people sitting outside at the tables.  The homeless and aggressive panhandlers that infest that area right now I'm sure will love calling that area home.

Currently sitting in a hotel room looking down on Union Square. I was surprised by the number of homeless people here - is it just this locale, or more widespread in SF?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    muppetry wrote: »
    Currently sitting in a hotel room looking down on Union Square. I was surprised by the number of homeless people here - is it just this locale, or more widespread in SF?

And you should see the drug dealers near the BART.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    The Apple logo should be facing Union Square as it is in the original. They need to keep it like that
  • Reply 15 of 19
    They did something like this between the Lincoln Park store in Chicago and the North and Clybourne CTA Rapid Transit station.
    Nice solution, is everyone happy now?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Nice rendering scenes.  It'll become a landmark in SF after it's finished.

• Reply 17 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I actually posted this as a tip to AI, but just found this article so they already were way ahead of me. Stupid, I know. Well, more renderings here:

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/san-francisco-2-store-renderings/
  • Reply 18 of 19
    philboogie wrote: »
    I actually posted this as a tip to AI, but just found this article so they already were way ahead of me. Stupid, I know. Well, more renderings here:

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/san-francisco-2-store-renderings/

If you think AI will ever credit you or the source they recklessly steal imagery from, don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    If you think AI will ever credit you or the source they recklessly steal imagery from, don't hold your breath.

I'm not. I wasn't. I just posted my stupidity for tipping them on something they already had an article on.

I don't think DED stole the images; he credits SocketSite, yet they themselves didn't publish their source.