Justin Bieber wanted $200k to represent BlackBerry, advertises iPhone for free

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A retrospective on the "Rise and Fall of Blackberry," which portrayed the company's product alongside other historical artifacts (including the magazine itself), outlines a number of mistakes the company made including the dismissal of a "brand ambassador" offer made by teen idol Justin Bieber.

BusinessWeek relics

Bieber, who like BlackBerry (formerly Research In Motion) is Canadian, was mentioned in a new BusinesssWeek report by Vincent Washington, a senior business development manager at the company from 2001 through 2011.

BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer

"One thing we missed out on," Washinton stated, "was that Justin Bieber wanted to rep BlackBerry. He said, 'Give me $200,000 and 20 devices, and I'm your brand ambassador,' basically.

"And we pitched that to marketing: Here's a Canadian kid, he grew up here, all the teeny-boppers will love that. They basically threw us out of the room. They said, 'This kid is a fad. He's not going to last.' I said at the meeting: 'This kid might outlive RIM.' Everyone laughed."

Washington didn't say exactly when the offer was made. Bieber is now 19. He achieved his superstardom after being discovered by a talent manager on YouTube in 2008, and released his first album in 2010. By 2012 he was listed by Forbes as begin the third most powerful celebrity.

BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise

Bieber's rapid ascent as a pop star occured in reverse of BlackBerry's ailing fortunes. The company discovered iPhone competition in 2008 when Apple temporarily passed the company to become America's best selling smartphone platform in the fall quarter.

By 2010, Steve Jobs could say, "We've now passed RIM. I don't see them catching up with us in the foreseeable future. It will be a challenge for them to create a mobile software platform and convince developers to support a third platform."

Apple is currently listed by Forbes as begin the world's most valuable brand.

Apple gets Bieber's milk for free

It's not clear how much value Bieber could have offered Blackberry. The company subsequently announced a similar "brand ambassador" deal with Alicia Keys at the beginning of 2013, but the most newsworthy aspect of that relationship was Keys' tweeting from her iPhone just a couple weeks after the announcement.

Last year, Oprah Winfrey similarly used her iPad to send out a tweet endorsing Microsoft's Surface, and at least three times this year, sports celebrities and executives retained by Samsung have forwarded Twitter ads to their legions of followers tagged with "Twitter for iPhone."

Apple hasn't announced any "creative director" or "brand ambassador" endorsement deals with celebrities to promote iPhone or iPad, but celebrities continue to use the company's products anyway. Last year, Justin Bieber used Instagram and Twitter to send a selfie to his online fans with the quickly typed message "Took this on my Iphone 5 the front camera is definitely clearer."

Took this on my Iphone 5 the front camera is definitely clearer http://t.co/DgXvOlfi

-- Justin Bieber (@justinbieber)

Over 45.5 thousand Twitter followers retweeted the message and 321,000 Instagram followers "liked" the image.

"I have a iPhone 5c it's blue and shining with awesomeness," one girl posted in reply, adding in a second comment, "Like u."

Celebrities and the Ping of death

Having celebrity support doesn't necessarily make up for a weak product however. A recent report by Reuters noted that despite an "aggressive marketing and promotion splurge," Samsung's $14 billion budget for ads and promotion "doesn't always bring the desired result," an instead has alienated audiences with its over the top product placement.

Apple's effort to build social sharing features into iTunes via Ping also failed despite support from pop icons Lady Gaga (who endorsed Ping with an immediately popular profile page and recorded a video presented by Jobs, above) and Coldplay's Chris Martin, who performed at the end of Apple's Ping announcement. Britney Spears, Katy Perry and U2 also created early Ping account pages.

Part of Ping's demise was related to the fact that Apple didn't maintain Ping as a real social network, but instead censored posts (including Gaga's) to avoid potentially offending anyone. Combined with ineffectual spam management and a blockade by Facebook seeking to extort more user data from Apple, not even the world's top stars could maintain its relevance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    It is not Justin Bieber's fault that he is Canadian but Blackberry has a choice in where they locate and more importantly who they choose to represent them. They also chose to rest on their laurels and make no effort to compete in the market with Apple. BB deserve everything they have gotten in the past and now in the future.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

That Alicia Keys, Oprah and others have been "caught", as it were, tweeting from their iphones when they're supposed to be shilling for competitors does more for Apple's brand than any compensated brand ambassador could, IMO.

• Reply 3 of 39
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    <h2>BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer</h2>

<h2>BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise</h2>

you should fire the twelve-year old who wrote this crap.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer

Almost sprayed my coffee out of my nose when I read this.  Only DED could have come up with this.  Hilarious. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

What crap?  Word for word, he's precisely right.  Are you reading this differently??  Hmmm... OH!!  OMG!!! You need to get your mind out of the gutter... /s

• Reply 5 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    If BB offered me $200,000 I'd shill for them every minute of every day, and troll this site like there's no tomorrow :)
  • Reply 6 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

BlackBerry bosses made a lot of mistakes, but I'll give them a pass on not being fans of Bieber.

• Reply 7 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    pooch wrote: »

If you'd like to point out the technical inaccuracies I'm sure AI will be happy to correct them.

<< snigger >>
  • Reply 8 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    This is a bizarre and perverse article. Dilger should be fired.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

...listed by Forbes as third most powerful celebrity...

What is the nature of this 'power', can he cure cancer with his touch, does he glow in the dark, can be bed 101 sweet 16 year olds in an afternoon without taking his trousers off? Whatever the this power is, I think we should be told.

• Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

What is the nature of this 'power', can he cure cancer with his touch, does he glow in the dark, can be bed 101 sweet 16 year olds in an afternoon without taking his trousers off? Whatever the this power is, I think we should be told.

Celebrity marketing power (influence).

• Reply 12 of 39
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

"BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer"

"Apple gets Bieber's milk for free" 

"BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise"

Things that make you go :???:

• Reply 13 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

and Force Lightning.

• Reply 14 of 39

Justin Bieber made over $75 million in 2012!  $200K and 20 phones is a giveaway!  BB should take him up on it!  Tons of PR go or bad for BB!

• Reply 15 of 39
    harry wild wrote: »
    Justin Bieber made over $75 million in 2012!  $200K and 20 phones is a giveaway!  BB should take him up on it!  Tons of PR go or bad for BB!

I'm guessing that this happened several years ago.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

"BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer"

"Apple gets Bieber's milk for free" 

"BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise"

Things that make you go :???:

At least we're having fun; best titles I've read all night ;)

• Reply 17 of 39
    ...listed by Forbes as third most powerful celebrity...
    analogjack wrote: »

Celebrity power is defined as the ability to push real news off the news because the celebrity did something... anything... For example, Kim Kardashian can make a fatal train wreck disappear from all the news sources by merely showing up to a non-event in a dress that shows off her extra wide ass.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Bieber would be an ass-ome brand ambassador for iPhone 5c

• Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Bieber would be an ass-ome brand ambassador for iPhone 5c

5C is for suckers!  For another $100s; you get the metal case, A7 SoC(5X faster then A6), M7 Chip and Touch ID!  Plus, if you plan on reselling it and buy it in Champagne Color; you can get $100 more for it then other colors.  No data on resell on 5C but it not selling well; so reselling it will be more discounted.

Justin probably would refuse the 5C as an endorsement unless Apple puts out "big" money to him - say $200 million for an annually contract probably would make his agent force him to do it!  Otherwise; he using the Champagne 5S - for free!

• Reply 20 of 39
    harry wild wrote: »
    No data on resell on 5C but it not selling well; so reselling it will be more discounted.

There's no data because people aren't selling their used iPhones 5c yet.