Apple improves iPhone 5s ship times to 1-3 days for all models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a sign that Apple's supply chain is finally catching up with demand, the company on Thursday updated its online storefront to reflect a change in iPhone 5s ship times, with all models save for the SIM-free version available to go out in one to three days.

iPhone Ship

The boost in availability comes a little over two weeks after Apple was quoting shipping times of three to five days for all versions of the hot-selling handset.

As noted by MacRumors, the one to three day estimate is being advertised in North America and multiple Online Apple Stores worldwide, including locations in Europe, the Asia-Pacific region, and the Middle East.

Since the iPhone 5s launched in September, the flagship device has seen non-stop supply constraints as Apple reportedly faced low yields of the Touch ID fingerprint sensor. The inclusion of the component sets the 5s apart from the competition, but the company was seeing difficulties ramping up production to its usual levels.

Just hours after the device launched, initial supply of certain versions were exhausted, prompting Apple to push back delivery dates to seven to ten business days. The new gold color option was hardest hit and ship-by dates quickly fell to October.

Apple was able to bring ship times down to two to three weeks in mid-October and one to two weeks the month following.

According to a report earlier this week, Apple had ample supply of both the iPhone 5s and newly redesigned iPad Air over the Black Friday weekend, suggesting production is finally coming close to matching demand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    According to a report earlier this week, Apple had <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/02/apple-had-ample-supply-of-ipad-air-iphone-5s-over-holiday-weekend-retina-ipad-mini-was-constrained">ample supply</a> of both the iPhone 5s and newly redesigned iPad Air over the Black Friday weekend, suggesting production is finally coming close to matching demand.

According to all the financial wags, Apple's products aren't selling and inventory is backing up in all the warehouses. /s
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I work in the warehouse of the company that handles all the distribution of all apple products for Australia and New Zealand. I can tell you, inventory is barely in the warehouse long enough to gather dust before it goes out again.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    The demand is weaker than expected , Apple is doomed !!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Strange that the SIM-free takes 1-2 weeks. Over here in Europe most Stores sell them unlocked (SIM-free) and also has the improved delivery times of 1-3 days. And this while it's merely a software setting; looks like this is done in the factory before shipping, but still.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    The demand is weaker than expected , Apple is doomed !!
    Can you give me a source saying "The demand is weaker than expected"?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    He was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

This is interesting since I ordered my iPhone 5s on December 2 and it hasn't shipped yet. It was 3-5 days back then. If they are shipping quicker now I would think mine would already be on the road. It's not expected to get here until next weekend.

• Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

I work in the warehouse of the company that handles all the distribution of all apple products for Australia and New Zealand. I can tell you, inventory is barely in the warehouse long enough to gather dust before it goes out again.

based on reports like above, I would think the fact that iPhone Inventory flies through a warehouse (literally for the 'accepted' scan and waiting for the outbound truck to the retailer)... sucking the dust off all the Samsung and Nexus phones in it's vortex.

• Reply 9 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

He was being sarcastic.

And I think we need to start laying off the sarcasm a little. Yes, we know the standard boilerplate responses of the trolls and analysts but they are looking bad enough on their own these days. Every prediction has blown up in their faces. They now look silly and petty. And the constant sarcasm on we fans part makes us look a tiny bit scared that those predictions might have been valid. 

But that’s just me. Revenge is best served cold and sarcastically.:mad:

• Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

This is interesting since I ordered my iPhone 5s on December 2 and it has shipped yet. It was 3-5 days back then. If they are shipping quicker now I would think mine would already be on the road. It's not expected to get here until next weekend.

where is 'here' and what flavor?  It could be a particular model and packaging combination.  (a CDMA/LTE phone sent to lower Elbonia waiting for the Elbonic translated box).

• Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange that the SIM-free takes 1-2 weeks. Over here in Europe most Stores sell them unlocked (SIM-free) and also has the improved delivery times of 1-3 days. And this while it's merely a software setting; looks like this is done in the factory before shipping, but still.

Carrier/partner specific demand is probably a higher priority.

I'm curious if the factories 'batch' phones by carrier/nationality and/or Firmware config.  That would make QA easier  ("Okay, phones off the line XX after 23:44:59.99 GMT and before 23:59:59.99 are all SIMless phones destined for France.  QA check all HW and Firmware Config Settings for the 10 phones prior, 10 phones after each config swap and every 100th phone in between").

If there is a minimum batch (a pallet of packaging materials.... you don't want to be storing every language and every config in the assembly room) size, I could see where a non-committed (example: O2 requires  per contract 10,000 iPhone 5s(grey) and 17,000 iPhone 5s(gold) a day, etc.) phone may have to wait until a production run for them in that language is scheduled to be made.

• Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And I think we need to start laying off the sarcasm a little. Yes, we know the standard boilerplate responses of the trolls and analysts but they are looking bad enough on their own these days. Every prediction has blown up in their faces. They now look silly and petty. And the constant sarcasm on we fans part makes us look a tiny bit scared that those predictions might have been valid. 

We need Oppenhiemer and Cook to adopt the Pinkman Practice of Business Principals

"Yo... Here's our earnings report..... B*tches!!!!!"

• Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Could not agree more. Whenever I read the comments here, I automatically think in my head, "Wonder how many people will use sarcasm here." We get it, analysts are wrong and Apple is king. No one is disputing that. Does it really get you off when you mock them in roughly 35% (estimate) of the overall comments on this site? 

• Reply 14 of 23
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Does it really get you off when you mock them in roughly 35% (estimate) of the overall comments on this site? 

No, but it prevents people who actually believe it (or who are paid to believe it) from posting it, which is fine by me.

• Reply 15 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And I think we need to start laying off the sarcasm a little.

Should I change my title? Because that's gonna be difficult now that TS isn't an admin anymore; I believe he was the only one able to change that.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Should I change my title? Because that's gonna be difficult now that TS isn't an admin anymore; I believe he was the only one able to change that.

You might be able to get it changed if you PM Kasper, though that’s a little low on the priorities list. The Huddler team told me there’s a tickbox somewhere that the higher-ups can tick over to let users edit their titles themselves, but doing that and committing would require the site to go down for a little bit (like the “we’re making the site better” pages we see sometimes when they do updates), so don’t hold your breath for that.

• Reply 17 of 23
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote:

Carrier/partner specific demand is probably a higher priority.

I'm curious if the factories 'batch' phones by carrier/nationality and/or Firmware config.  That would make QA easier  ("Okay, phones off the line XX after 23:44:59.99 GMT and before 23:59:59.99 are all SIMless phones destined for France.  QA check all HW and Firmware Config Settings for the 10 phones prior, 10 phones after each config swap and every 100th phone in between").

If there is a minimum batch (a pallet of packaging materials.... you don't want to be storing every language and every config in the assembly room) size, I could see where a non-committed (example: O2 requires  per contract 10,000 iPhone 5s(grey) and 17,000 iPhone 5s(gold) a day, etc.) phone may have to wait until a production run for them in that language is scheduled to be made.

Adding to that, the SW in question is firmware so they may be able to them flashed to the cellular chips before it reaches the factory to be added to the iPhone logic board, or at least flashed when it's still a logic board without being put in a casing with the other components.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Should I change my title? Because that's gonna be difficult now that TS isn't an admin anymore; I believe he was the only one able to change that.</span>

You might be able to get it changed if you PM Kasper, though that’s a little low on the priorities list. The Huddler team told me there’s a tickbox somewhere that the higher-ups can tick over to let users edit their titles themselves, but doing that and committing would require the site to go down for a little bit (like the “we’re making the site better” pages we see sometimes when they do updates), so don’t hold your breath for that.

Oh, good to know, thanks. No problem though; now I can write sarcastic remarks without typing the inverted exclamation mark lol
  • Reply 19 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

where is 'here' and what flavor?  It could be a particular model and packaging combination.  (a CDMA/LTE phone sent to lower Elbonia waiting for the Elbonic translated box).

Pacific northwest, 32GB gray, AT&T. Case is supposed to be here today. (edited my original post, changed "has" to "hasn't")

• Reply 20 of 23
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

According to all the financial wags, Apple's products aren't selling and inventory is backing up in all the warehouses. /s

What "financial wags" are you reading?  Apple products were 5 of the top 15 products sold over Black Friday weekend.  Everything I've read is that Apple products are flying off the shelves.  You are the first person I've heard that has suggested otherwise.  Do you have any sources for this information?  I'm really curious.  

EDIT - Just noticed your /s.  (I really hate the /s and therefore must have blocked it out.)