Apple honors Nelson Mandela on company homepage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple late Friday updated its website landing page with a tribute to late South African President and anti-apartheid advocate Nelson Mandela, who passed away on Thursday at the age of 95.

Mandela

Like it did for the passing of company cofounder Steve Jobs and a select few other world figures, Apple posted a picture of the late political leader to its homepage along with his birth and death dates.

Yesterday, Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted out a Mandela quote and message, adding his voice to the many world leaders, industry titans and media personalities who extended their condolences through the micro-blogging platform.

"Amazing human being. Champion of freedom and human dignity. He set an example for all of the world. RIP Nelson Mandela. We miss you already," read Cook's tweet.

Mandela died on Thursday after battling a number of serious health problems, including a recurring lung infection that required hospitalization, reports CNN.

During his life, Mandela rose to prominence fighting South Africa's apartheid state-enacted racial segregation policies, which ultimately landed him in jail for 27 years. From his cell, he inspired generations by preaching a civil rights message that sought to make peace instead of spark conflict.

Following his release from incarceration in 1990, Mandela became a central figure in the movement to abolish apartheid, winning the Nobel Peace Prize alongside then-South African President F.W. de Klerk. He petitioned for a multi-racial presidential election in 1994, won the office and served until 1999. His tenure was marked with monumental changes to South Africa's governmental system including a new democratic constitution and staving off a brooding civil war.

The later years of Mandela's life were spent counseling world governments as an elder statesmen and humanitarian work that won him numerous accolades.

Apple rarely pays tribute to an individual on its official homepage, but has made exceptions for Rosa Parks, board member Jerry York and Steve Jobs, among very few others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

That's awesome. Assumed only SJ would get that kind of treatment. Classy move by Apple. Mandela's life and achievements is one that should be celebrated, and more importantly, learned from. A legendary human being. 

• Reply 2 of 151

Apple rarely pays tribute to an individual on its official homepage, but has made exceptions

Yes, Madiba was an exception. Exceptional human being, an exception indeed!
  • Reply 3 of 151
    Nice move from Apple, Like Jobs, Mandela made me believe that one man can bring so much good to the world
  • Reply 4 of 151
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Extension of the Think Different campaign. Nice move Apple. Now let's see how Samsung responds
  • Reply 5 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Extension of the Think Different campaign. Nice move Apple. Now let's see how Samsung responds

Let's all just not go there

• Reply 6 of 151
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I agreed with his cause, but not his methods. Everyone wears blinkers & choose to only remember the good parts, conveniently forgetting (or ignorantly simply not knowing) the terrible actions that he took.

He was a terrorist, he wasn't imprisoned for being black.

For those who are not aware here is a small article that covers the basics: http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

To be fair to Mandela he asked people not to call him a hero. It's our media that has decided to turn him into some saintly perfect figure.

Now Gandhi, Gandhi was a real hero. And Gandhi achieved the same goal without blowing up civilian populations or necklacing ones own people who did not agree with his point of view.
  • Reply 7 of 151

Apple = Class act.

• Reply 8 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I agreed with his cause, but not his methods. Everyone wears blinkers & choose to only remember the good parts, conveniently forgetting (or ignorantly simply not knowing) the terrible actions that he took.

He was a terrorist, he wasn't imprisoned for being black.

For those who are not aware here is a small article that covers the basics: http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

To be fair to Mandela he asked people not to call him a hero. It's our media that has decided to turn him into some saintly perfect figure.

Now Gandhi, Gandhi was a real hero. And Gandhi achieved the same goal without blowing up civilian populations or necklacing ones own people who did not agree with his point of view.

That is nonsense!

Do you know of Steve Biko and many other peacefull activists , he was murdered, Mandela had no way out.

The fight against colonialism started peacefully, it was the bloody inhumanity of the colonial forces that forced the armed rebellion.

People talk about what they do not know.

Mandela was not killed because of his notoriety.

And it was the CIA that handled him to the Apartheid murderers.

… And Please, Tell me of a hero who is not human?

• Reply 9 of 151
    ochyming wrote: »
    That is nonsense!
    Do you know of Steve Biko and many other peacefull activists , he was murdered, Mandela had no way out.
    The fight against colonialism started peacefully, it was the bloody inhumanity of the colonial forces that forced the armed rebellion.

People talk about what they do not know.
    Mandela was not killed because of his notoriety.

And it was the CIA that handled him to the Apartheid murderers.

… And Please, Tell me of a hero who is not human?

Had Mandela attacked military/government/police based targets I'd put him into the freedom fighter category.

But his tactics were no different to Bin Ladens.
  • Reply 10 of 151
    Once again I see those who are somewhat blind to goodness and greatness. Looking for insignificant reason to disavow ones battle for humanity without the humility of others can never seem to reap the pleasures of the final outcome. Mr. Mandela may you rest knowing that you deeds were not in vane. God Bless!
  • Reply 11 of 151
    I am South African and this makes me truly happy. This is why I love Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

re

• Reply 13 of 151
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

My heroes are geniuses and scientists and inventors, not political figures. So I personally wouldn't call him a hero, but Tim Cook is a big human rights guy so I'm not surprised by this move. Tim Cook has a picture of Martin Luther King in his office supposedly.

• Reply 14 of 151
    Quote:

Had Mandela attacked military/government/police based targets I'd put him into the freedom fighter category.

You lie!

Why is it freedom fighters against the West must give the other face when Westerns slaughter and rape freely?

OH, i know.

• Reply 15 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

My heroes are geniuses and scientists and inventors, not political figures. So I personally wouldn't call him a hero, but Tim Cook is a big human rights guy so I'm not surprised by this move. Tim Cook has a picture of Martin Luther King in his office supposedly.

Yeah, Tim Cook thinks differently, clearly Mandela is his hero.

• Reply 16 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

You lie!

Why is it freedom fighters against the West must give the other face when Westerns slaughter and rape freely?

OH, i know.

I have not lied, Mandela openly admitted these acts. Get your facts right before calling me a liar. The difference between me and most other people here is that I see him in shades of grey as opposed to seeing him as some god like saint.

• Reply 17 of 151
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    saarek wrote: »

Point of view? May it be assumed that your own point of view is not the perspective of a non white African who endured a life of unending daily repression under apartheid? Hmm. Apartheid. The word itself is distinctly lacking from your comments. Not trying to provoke a fight here, but just agreeing with you that most revolutions involve various shades of gray - various shades of peacefulness and conflict. Various perspectives.

George Washington was a great and good leader and a hero to my country, but our Revolutionary War was not without its atrocities and yes - acts of terrorism.

Now I hope that we can bring this disagreement to a quiet resolution, because passions can be needlessly inflamed and this is neither the time nor place to set one against another. Otherwise, it's trolling, because we gather here to focus on Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 151

Yep, what I like the most is him singing "kill all whites".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOXqFQw2hc

He was just a plain communist with communist methods of killing.

If they honored Margaret Thatcher, the person who pulled down the Iron Curtain, I wouldn't blink an eye. There was no response to her death from Apple and of course our Commander in Chief sent no serving representation to her funeral. With Mandela, this public outcry is completely inappropriate, commie is a commie.

• Reply 19 of 151
    Quote:

Quote:

I have not lied, Mandela openly admitted these acts. Get your facts right before calling me a liar. The difference between me and most other people here is that I see him in shades of grey as opposed to seeing him as some god like saint.

You Lie!

Bin Laden was a byproduct of the West imperialism, wasn’t he?

• Reply 20 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Yep, what I like the most is him singing "kill all whites".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOXqFQw2hc

He was just a plain communist with communist methods of killing.

If they honored Margaret Thatcher, the person who pulled down the Iron Curtain, I wouldn't blink an eye. There was no response to her death from Apple and of course our Commander in Chief sent no serving representation to her funeral. With Mandela, this public outcry is completely inappropriate, commie is a commie.

Thatcher was a coward who stood only for the Rich and powerful.

Margaret Thatcher was barbaric and a terror says Morrissey

She did NOT tear down the european communist regime, the regime imploded.

So Communist regimes killed more than the West’s imperialism?

Get out of your cave.