China Mobile denies iPhone deal, insists talks ongoing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForThought View Post

If I was China Mobile and scheduled a huge event around my 4G announcement, I wouldn't want to spoil it by giving up a secret before the date. If I was Apple, I wouldn't want to screw my partner and announce something before their big day. 

Expect Tim Cook on the dias with CM Chairman on Dec 18 - which, will be one hell of a Christmas gift to all investors. 

You've got it, just as Apple doesn't confirm rumors before an announcement.

Obviously it's coming soon!

AAPL may break 600 before the new year !

• Reply 42 of 56
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

The WSJ. Don't. Believe. A. Word.

Worst newspaper ever.

Least professional. Least reliable.

Piece of crud WSJ.

Plus WSJ is very negative on Apple.

What a Shitty Journal...

• Reply 43 of 56
    It seems that many on this board are underestimating the leverage china mobile has over apple. the matter of fact is that china mobile has been doing quite well even without iPhones over the years. Besides, Chinese New Year, the biggest holiday and shopping season in china is months away. China mobile really is in no rush to reach final agreement with Apple.
    And I have to remind you that to an average consumer in China the premium cell phone brand is samsung, not Apple. This May sound hard to believe, but the huge amounts of money Samsung spends in that market does work to its advantage. Apple in many ways is perceived arrogant as a company and it's products overpriced and not offering the best value. Besides, Average Chinese consumers don't really value apple's design or taste that much. They prefer something is more in your face --- so the bigger and the flashier, the better. In that regard, the Chinese market is a total different beast from the US or Japanese market, and don't expect similar results as NTTDocomo had after it inked its deal with apple. Japanese adores Apple and despises anything Korean, but in china it is the opposite. If you read Chinese, you will find many comments in Chinese tech blogs and onlin forums are rooting for china mobile to stick it to apple in favor of Samsung and local brands.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    China mobile needs Apple more than other way around. All they have to do is look at docomo of Japan, who was the largest carrier in Japan. Goto completely crushed last three years without iPhone, finally got it and now sales back up
  • Reply 45 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by george li View Post

...but in china it is the opposite. If you read Chinese, you will find many comments in Chinese tech blogs and onlin forums are rooting for china mobile to stick it to apple in favor of Samsung and local brands.

Samsung has been caught paying posters before, just ask HTC.

It's part of their $14 Billion marketing budget the same as ads on TV or billboards.

Maybe there should be a crack down on this form of misleading advertising.

post at 8:20

• Reply 46 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
    What a fucking joke?
    So you're saying that it's the province of an open-minded person to rant about what he perceives to be real stereotype of a racial group. If you think it's true, then it's ok to say whatever, right?
    In that case, why don't you go ahead and give us some example of what it is like to negotiate or hang out with Jews, Chinese, Koreans, African Americans, Russians and Italians. Go ahead, I dare you.

What the heck are you on about?
    GQB's comments had nothing to do with racism.
    It was all about how the Chinese companies (in China) do business, which is based on their culture, their political views and dozens of other things which are different than Jewish, Korean, Russian, African and Italian cultures.
    African Americans are Americans so you'd deal with "African American" companies as you would with any other American company.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    vtwovtwo Posts: 14member
    Quote:

It seems that many on this board are underestimating the leverage china mobile has over apple. the matter of fact is that china mobile has been doing quite well even without iPhones over the years. Besides, Chinese New Year, the biggest holiday and shopping season in china is months away. China mobile really is in no rush to reach final agreement with Apple.

And I have to remind you that to an average consumer in China the premium cell phone brand is samsung, not Apple. This May sound hard to believe, but the huge amounts of money Samsung spends in that market does work to its advantage. Apple in many ways is perceived arrogant as a company and it's products overpriced and not offering the best value. Besides, Average Chinese consumers don't really value apple's design or taste that much. They prefer something is more in your face --- so the bigger and the flashier, the better. In that regard, the Chinese market is a total different beast from the US or Japanese market, and don't expect similar results as NTTDocomo had after it inked its deal with apple. Japanese adores Apple and despises anything Korean, but in china it is the opposite. If you read Chinese, you will find many comments in Chinese tech blogs and onlin forums are rooting for china mobile to stick it to apple in favor of Samsung and local brands.

I am not sure about that.  Although Samsung is definitely up there is terms of their brand name due to huge advertising campaigns, I think the average customers in China view both as the top premium brands for cell phones.  iPhone probably slightly more in big cities and Samsung is the smaller cities.

In terms of being overpriced and best value, Samsung's Galaxy S and Note series ain't exactly cheap.  If anything, the customer looking for value is likely going with local brands like xiaomi, Lenovo, etc.

The top income group in China that can afford the top end phones value brand names a lot.  That is why you see luxury brands like LV, Mercedes, Hermes, BMW, Lafite (wine) are doing so well in China.  I would say the Chinese (top income group) are actually willing to pay more for a brand name compare to US, EU.

As for reading Chinese blogs, I am not sure it gives us the best picture.  Not saying all the pro Samsung/Anti Apple bloggers are paid by Samsung.  But I think some of that 14 billion advertising budget is spent on 'internet marketing' so it will skew results a bit.

• Reply 48 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I believe he was originally referring to businesses in China, not Chinese people in a collectivist sense.

Exactly!
    Glad to see someone here with a bit of reading comprehension.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    I don't believe wall shit journal , it always lies .

Coz of its name , I sold all of my aapl to wait for a big pull back on 18th .
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:

George, 

Nice to see someone on these forums who has some knowledge of the Chinese market.  Your observations are absolutely correct.

The backlash from the 5C/5S launch was quite bad in Guangzhou and Shenzhen.  For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the Chinese felt very slighted that the first Apple launch to take place in China was a replay of the US event.  This was viewed as a huge disappointment and then an insult, as it was expected that Tim Cook would actually attend.  There is a strong perception of arrogance surrounding Apple, and Apple has done a poor job of understanding the uniqueness of the Chinese market.

The Note 3 in China is considered the premium phone and the wealthy tend to use them, albeit the Gold iPhone 5S is also desirable.  On the other hand, in tablets, Apple are definitely viewed as the top tier.

The one thing you don't mention is government interference.  If you know the Chinese market, you will know full well that the Chinese government also has their hand in all this, and have at times made anti-Apple remarks.   I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that the Government may be holding this agreement up.

• Reply 51 of 56
    While the bride is still pouting her lips, pre-nuptials have been going on for some time. Haha. It's all typical China style fun. A friend of mine in Shanghai has already received the second iPhone directly from China Mobile. They offer it to high volume users at a subsidised discount by directly contacting customers. The model is not the PRC version sold by Apple's official partners Unicom and China Telecom. Instead, it's a Hong Kong model, which one can tell from the HK specific plug included in the box. No doubt, though, an official deal will significantly spur sales.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    looking at the face of usa vice president , look at how impolite his face is when he visits china .
    u know the china mobile deal is not inked .
    it is not only company to company , it is political to political .
  • Reply 53 of 56
    The china mobile deal is not only business to business , it is also political to political .

By looking at the face of USA Vice President when he visited china , u know china won't send this gift to America.

Nobody seems to talk about what will happen to aapl if the deal isn't inked .
  • Reply 54 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Well you do, constantly.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Nobody seems to talk about what will happen to aapl if the deal isn't inked .

Because nothing will happen.

• Reply 56 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because nothing will happen.

Nothing's happened on all  these years of rumors so why would there me any movement from a continuation of that? Agreed. Nothing priced in to get retrieved at this point.

WAY too many times to that well.