Ousted Apple exec Scott Forstall reportedly advising startups, focusing on philanthropy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Steve created the Mac and then was ousted from Apple because he was hard to deal with, he then started Next.

Scott created iOS and then was ousted from Apple because he was hard to deal with, he then started ???

• Reply 22 of 66
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

It will be interesting to see.  I personally would love to see him join the FireFox group working on the FireFox OS project.  But, I bet he has quite the extensive non-compete contract...

• Reply 23 of 66
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Waits for the idiot(s) to say I hope he comes back to save iOS 7....

Yah. Because Jony Ive is a design genius who can design anything and do no wrong. Jony needs to stick with hardware. He is NOT an interface designer. And for good reason. He sucks at it. Big time.

• Reply 24 of 66
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Yah. Because Jony Ive is a design genius who can design anything and do no wrong. Jony needs to stick with hardware. He is NOT an interface designer. And for good reason. He sucks at it. Big time.

I wouldn't say is sucks at it, but there are a few things he left unfinished:

http://uxcritique.tumblr.com

• Reply 25 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I saw...MacRumors forums are full of idjits...which is why I don't have an account with them anymore. 

Must say it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi ....
  • Reply 26 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    kkerst wrote: »
    Let's see how successful he'll be without Apple. 

I am sure he will be very successful. I always liked Scott he was very talented and he was a superb presenter.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

I knew there was one. If more then 3/4 of North America is on iOS 7 then something must be right. And don't say you were forced to...that would be a bunch of BS right there. 

• Reply 28 of 66
    Apple owes a huge dept of gratitude to Forstall. iOS was a "bet the company" gamble according to Schiller. Now Apple is where it is because of iPhone and iOS, and Scott was right there leading the creation of iOS from nothing. To all the naysayers, give the guy a break... I expect big things from him in the future...
  • Reply 29 of 66
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    "...exactly what philanthropic activities he participated in is not clear, as the report falls short of providing specifics..."

Translation: He can't find a job and no one wants him. 

He doesn't care having more than enough money to last several lifetimes.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

The ironic thing about skeumorphism is that this particular form of visual imagery persists in the OS X application icons that appear on the Desktop and the Dock. A legal pad represents Notes. A star and camera represent iMovie. It begs the question: What else would you put there?

So skeumorphism brings to mind a story that I believe appeared in a book by Alexander King, an odd duck of a journalist, recovering morphine addict and bon vivant who frequently guested on Jack Paar's Tonight Show in the late '50s.

Many years ago, a rich businessman was motoring through the Russian steppe when his car broke down on the edge of a tiny shtetl. The car managed to make it as far as the village mechanic, where the businessman was told it would be several hours before it could be fixed. Checking his pocket watch for the time, the businessman saw that it had stopped running as well. On the chance that he could get his watch fixed while he waited for his car, the man sauntered down the single street through town, looking for a jeweler. He nearly reached the other end of town before spotting a shop with numerous watches suspended in the front window.

Stepping inside, the businessman discovered the shop was otherwise bare except for a table and chair near the back. Sitting there was an old, bearded fellow, wearing a yarmulke and studying the Tannach. The old man looked up briefly, nodded slightly and resumed reading. Puzzled, the businessman asked, "Hello; can I get my watch fixed here?"

The old man peered up again, and with the faintest shake of his head, looked back down at his reading. The businessman was irritated and - figuring that the man was hard of hearing - said in a loud and imperious tone, "WILL YOU FIX MY WATCH, OR WON'T YOU?"

The elderly Jew was startled and returned the younger man's stare, "I hear you very well, so you don't have to shout. I am unable to help you, however, because I am not a watchmaker."

Even more irritated, the businessman shot back, "Well, what are you then?"

"I am a mohel. It is my ritual duty to circumcise the male babies in our shtetl."

By now the businessman was beside himself. He roared, "Well if you aren't a watchmaker, why are all those watches hanging in your window??!!"

With a twinkle in his eye and a ghost of a smile, the old Jew responded. "So vat vould you hang in the vindow?"

• Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve created the Mac and then was ousted from Apple because he was hard to deal with, he then started Next.

Scott created iOS and then was ousted from Apple because he was hard to deal with, he then started ???

Stop using Steve Jobs' bio as the pattern for others to follow. Success isn't that simplistic. Each person takes a different path, based on their strengths, weakness, and different circumstances.

• Reply 32 of 66
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Wow I didn't know this was so personal on here folks. I'm just stating the obvious.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stop using Steve Jobs' bio as the pattern for others to follow. Success isn't that simplistic. Each person takes a different path, based on their strengths, weakness, and different circumstances.

Well the article already states that Apple employees (presumably who know him) think he is more likely to start a company than other options.

• Reply 34 of 66
    ascii wrote: »
    Capable high level execs like him are hard to find, I don't think even Apple could afford to let someone like him go (even though they did). Tim Cook should have found *some* way he could stay.

Some smart people are too mercurial to function within an organization once it passes a point in size. Had he been smart and could manage his emotions, it's a different story.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Wow I didn't know this was so personal on here folks. I'm just stating the obvious.

Don't take it so personal when someone disagrees with you. Especially when you state your opinion without giving some basis for it. Jest say'n.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Waits for the idiot(s) to say I hope he comes back to save iOS 7....

The good old times when a button still looked like a button. He will be missed.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    blah

Sorry I wasn't listening.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:

If we go by that sort of thinking, then Steve Jobs should have kept his mouth shut and shouldn't have gotten involved in computer design. He was not a designer of hardware, software or interface. And yet ...

• Reply 39 of 66
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    That's exactly all it was: an opinion. I never said it was fact. People need to stop taking themselves so serious on here and chill out.

Anyway, it seems to me Apple combines the best of the best who function, as a whole, at the top their game - kind of like a think tank that actually produces something. So there, that was another opinion.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    I might be in the minority, but I will be genuinely interested to see what he does for his follow-up act.

Remember, Jobs saw something in him as well as Cook and Ive.