Apple includes US in annual '12 Days of Gifts' app

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rochford View Post

Anyone know what could possibly make an app like this, which is basically just a link to the iTunes Store, need to be nearly 65MB. It appears to have an info page, receives Notifications, and sends you a reminder. Maybe it plays a different Carol each day?

Well, it does have a dynamic wallpaper....

• Reply 22 of 35

I really wish Apple would stop insulting all of us non-believers who believe that giving things for free centered around Christmas is offensive and is pushing stuff on us.  It's pushy and religious and intolerant and unfair.  Instead, I recommend Apple give 13 things for free centered around a randomly formulated non-hindu-arabic numbering system and a neutral non-gregorian calendar system.

• Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I really wish Apple would stop insulting all of us non-believers who believe that giving things for free centered around Christmas is offensive and is pushing stuff on us.  It's pushy and religious and intolerant and unfair.  Instead, I recommend Apple give 13 things for free centered around a randomly formulated non-hindu-arabic numbering system and a neutral non-gregorian calendar system.

Please understand that most of the people celebrate christmass on 25th of December or 7th of January. And in between there is new years eve. I kinda understand your frustration but I dont find how they insult you or anyone else ? Its democracy... You may vote for person X but eventualy person Y becomes elected does that mean that your government or whoever run for election is insulting you ? No !

At least be happy you get something for FREE

• Reply 24 of 35

thanks

• Reply 25 of 35
    "Anyone know what could possibly make an app like this, which is basically just a link to the iTunes Store, need to be nearly 65MB. It appears to have an info page, receives Notifications, and sends you a reminder. Maybe it plays a different Carol each day?"

For the NSA tracking software.
  • Reply 26 of 35

The 12 days of Christmas are the days between Christmas day (December 25) and Epiphany (January 6). These are correspondingly the days celebrating the birth of Jesus and the visit of the three Magi bearing gifts. Hence the reason many people give gifts during Christmas time. Many people in the US incorrectly believe the 12 days of Christmas are the days before Christmas.

As far as insulting, I do not see how this could be insulting. Using this logic a christian person should be very insulted by seeing a muslin woman on the street wearing a Hijab. Or an atheist being insulted by seeing a church on the street...

Basically, non-believers are riding a wave of benefits since you are getting something for free or a discounted price due to Christmas sales. You can vote with your dollars and not participate. Believers would probably argue that Christmas has been too commercialized, so it is nice to see Apple participating in the spirit of Christmas giving.

Merry Christmas!

• Reply 27 of 35
    FWIW you don't need the app. Just check out iTunes each day. Is that so hard?

p.s. Looking forward to the 12 days of bitching and complaining.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

@dennyc2013 with a demographic containng hundreds of millions of users, getting 12 apps that everyone would appreciate is difficult. I count on hoping that 1 or 2 might be interesting to me, and typically there's a game that provides some free amusement for a couple of hours, and something for the kids (last year were some great Toy Story shorts which are still being watched now). It's free, and it's a gift - allowing us to choose our own would a) create all sorts of developer and payment issues (not to mention confusion over likely price caps etc), and b) smacks of entitlement which we don't have.

Apple can just survey the developers to see who wants to participate the program and developers may also limit the number of "free" copies to give out.  And Apple can display a special page for people to choose their own likes.  Every day is different for 12 days.  That'll be more interesting.

• Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I think you forgot to add the "/s" after your post. Some people might think you're serious.

• Reply 30 of 35
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

p.s. Looking forward to the 12 days of bitching and complaining.

On the 12th day before launch, competitors gave to AI:

12 trolls a’ trolling,

11 new sock puppets,

10 Chinese sweatshops,

9 accusations,

8 FUD-filled posts,

7 cries of ‘fanboy’,

6 mock-ed patents,

5 paid shills!

4 false concerns,

3 FRAND complaints,

2 anecdotes,

And “Steve Jobs would never have done that…”

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

I think you forgot to add the "/s" after your post. Some people might think you're serious.

But I was serious!  /s

;)

• Reply 32 of 35

X

• Reply 33 of 35
    Available in India as well now! The Indian iTunes store is now 1 year old. My iTunes Match subscription just got renewed late last month!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Have to see people whine about free stuff ... meh.

Not whining, just know that they didn't need to make it JUST for iOS7...

• Reply 35 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Problem is you looking at this as Apple just giving out free stuff.  It's not about that.  Their number one focus is to push the growth of iOS7.  This is a tool to get people who are on the fence about updating to say "What the heck.  If I update now I get some cool freebies."    Apple gains because things like iBeacons and other things become activated and "grow" the network.

You may not like iOS 7 and that's fine, the cool thing is you can stay on whatever version you have.  Just don't complain when Apple (and the extremely high percentage of iOS devices) are focused on the current version of the operating system.