Trojan/malware infection on MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

So, my MacbookPro has a virus/trojan called  Mal/BredoZp-B  floating around it somewhere. I've got the free version of Sophos antivirus running in the background and as such it has detected and "removed" the threat. Problem is, it keeps popping up every so often so I believe that it is still on the computer, hiding somewhere. Doing my head in!

Any advice on what to do to get rid of it and is it a real threat?  I believe that it is more of a threat to Windows machines?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mimac wrote: »
    So, my MacbookPro has a virus/trojan called  Mal/BredoZp-B  floating around it somewhere. I've got the free version of Sophos antivirus running in the background and as such it has detected and "removed" the threat. Problem is, it keeps popping up every so often so I believe that it is still on the computer, hiding somewhere. Doing my head in!

Any advice on what to do to get rid of it and is it a real threat?  I believe that it is more of a threat to Windows machines?

Thanks.
    You are correct.
    http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/BredoZp-B-not-staying-in-the-Manager-Updated/td-p/3855
  • Reply 2 of 4

I actually don't know what the problem is, but maybe this article here can help you.

Protect your computer from trojan/malware.

Hope you will fix your problem.

• Reply 3 of 4

It seems to be a email attachment with a zip file. Firstly check your email for any emails with zip attachments that look suspicious and delete them empty the trash within the email app. Then restart the email app and the problem should be gone hopefully.

• Reply 4 of 4
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Never open up an e mail you are not familiar with and also with something attached.A NO NO