Review: FiftyThree's Pencil Bluetooth stylus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow, Samsung didn't just copy it from Wacom, there's a first!

Pity. Samsung could have, and their fans would have attacked Wacom if Wacon dared to sue Samsung over any patents with "LOL@WACOM" pictures to showing prior art of Sumerians using styluses in 3500 B.C.

• Reply 22 of 37

Nice review. Just ordered one. Because I support FiftyThree's pro-iPad disposition.

• Reply 23 of 37

I don't have any opinion about this device because I do not own one, nor have I ever tested one.  Hmmm.  Seems like many of the opinionated commenters may be in the same position.  

I mention this interesting thought because I was hoping for  report by people who had actually used the product.

• Reply 24 of 37
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I ordered a Pencil because I'm still on my quest for a good replacement for a paper/pen notepad. I have a SmartPen but hate the requirement for special paper. I have a Pogo Connect but don't think it feels as natural as a pen, plus I never found an app that really handles palm rejection effectively. We'll see how this one goes...

Without an active digitizer, the iPad really struggles with having the pieces in place to work effectively with a stylus. It's the only feature on the Surface Pro that I really jones for.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    snowdog65 wrote: »
    So it uses a battery and electronics to power an Eraser?

Because really you don't get anything else of note.  It doesn't have pressure sensitivity, it isn't more accurate because it is still using capacitance to capture strokes. 

It seems utterly pointless to me.

I haven't drawn with my fingers since I was 4. This seems more like what I'm used to for making art. If it's nothing but a better capacitive stylus, I'm happy.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Over priced junk. The goddamn tablet stylus business is a rip off.

I can buy a dozen, medium tipped Parker brother pens for literally a few bucks. Awesome pens! But a freaking stylus even in TJ Maxx is costing $9. Kiss my.....

Ignorant comment. You clearly don't know one stylus from another.

• Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

I don't have any opinion about this device because I do not own one, nor have I ever tested one.  Hmmm.  Seems like many of the opinionated commenters may be in the same position.  

I mention this interesting thought because I was hoping for  report by people who had actually used the product.

Wait a while first. This thing was launched quite recently.

• Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Yes. I don't spend time there. I have limited time to divert from my job as a software developer. So I focus on areas that interest me (Apple, the sun, Icelandic volcanoes, thedailywtf) to the exclusion of nearly all (digital) 'trade rags'. The exception being when I actively seek information on a particular item that I'd like to purchase/use/understand.

Having reviews here allows me to note it, skip or read.

Good for you. Clearly, some people have not figured out that if you don't like an article, you don't have to read it. Furthermore, you don't have to take more time out of your life to first read it and then criticize it. OTOH, they may be secretly thankful for articles they allegedly don't like because it gives them a chance to do the one thing they are good at - gripe.

• Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Unfortunately it is available only in the US and Canada, and only online. I wish it was available elsewhere (or at least at Apple Stores in the US). I imagine they would sell a lot! I contacted them (I am in Switzerland) and asked if it was available at brick and mortar stores and the answer was no. But I'm headed to NYC, maybe I could figure out something in the week I'll spend there. As an architect I can say that the request for such a tool is incredible. I feel we are among the prime targets of such a product (judging from the requests I got from my colleagues for "If you find one, buy one for me too" I think the market is really big).

Well designed, well crafted and well implemented software wise. It only works with the paper app? For the time being, I think. But future apps might come along that license the tech. Anyway, the Paper app is really good, so there's no particular need for it to work with other apps (my opinion). As long as the ecosystem works. I prefer products that work perfectly doing one thing really well, than half assed solutions (but then again, this might explain why I own Apple products in the first place)

If you want, I will buy a bunch and send them to you to sell in Europe. You'll have to prepay me first, of course. :)

But seriously, why would architects need a stylus specifically made for Paper? 

• Reply 30 of 37
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If you want, I will buy a bunch and send them to you to sell in Europe. You'll have to prepay me first, of course. :)

But seriously, why would architects need a stylus specifically made for Paper? 

I am in touch with them, stock has almost been sold out. They told me to let them know prior to departure or upon arrival and see whether it might be possible to get hold of 4 of them.

As to why.

Well, I am not talking about "all" architects, but in our office the ability to create quick drawings in an easy manner is very important (think about constructive details or generally "idea drawing"). The use of a thin stylus (by thin I mean the stylus itself, not the line it draws) conveys less of a feeling and allows less precise drawing. It might seem counterintuitive, but a stylus with some weight is the best to draw straight lines and sketch an idea.

And using a digital device allows for easier archiving, sharing (to the design team for instance) compared to paper.

Architecture is still made of "pencil and paper" especially in the early drawing phases. There's know way you can freely design ideas on a computer with a drawing software.

Imagine this: you are on the go, somewhere in a city, and you see a building that inspires you in some lines. You'd sit down, draw the perspective that interests you and then you have it. You can share it with the office, archive it, print it or do whatever you want.

Now you are at a construction site, you have to explain to a worker how to build something. You can quickly draw it on the iPad (usually you would use the same "pencil" as the one that inspired the designers of 53 and draw it on a wood board or on a wall or a piece of paper) and then keep it for future reference when the building is complete.

Other use: you are in a meeting, try to explain something to a client. Of course you could use paper, then photocopy it or scan it and hand it to the client or sen via email. With this system you can draw it on the iPad and send it right away, archive it and send it to the design team.

Besides saving countless trees, you'd also have a much smoother information flow and a better organization of the drawings "from paper to computer". With AirPlay you can even project the design on a TV in the meeting room, hassle free, for everyone to see. Immediately

Size and weight of this pencil seem perfect (I don't own one, but this review suggests it is so) for sketching, creating. Architect have in their pencils one of the few "manual" tools left today. And they keep it almost as a sacred item. This is almost the only thing that still make architecture design a manual process. Digitalizing it with so little compromises as 53's idea seem to imply, is a big step forward.

Hope I gave you my take on this idea and why it is interesting for architects. Are there alternatives? Yes. Is it perfect? No. Is it "needed"? Nope.

But it is nevertheless a great idea. Especially on the go, where a Wacom tablet is of no use because you cannot see the result.

In our office there are 4 architects who asked me to buy one. So, all in all, it would make 5 sold.

:-)

(Edit: added the AirPlay use)

• Reply 31 of 37
    @iMat - just curious...

1) How is it hat you're first discovering styluses for the iPad now?

2) What is it that you think you will specifically like for your jobs as architects with the 53, that isn't available in say, the [URL=http://adonit.net/jot/script/]Jot Script Fine Point from Adonis[/URL] or the Wacom Bamboo?

Only curious... and no... I have no affiliation whatsoever with Adonis or Wacom.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    So only one model has a magnet?
    Too expensive IMHO without pressure sensitivity included.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@iMat - just curious...

1) How is it hat you're first discovering styluses for the iPad now?

I have discovered styli quite some time ago. And considered many alternatives.

2) What is it that you think you will specifically like for your jobs as architects with the 53, that isn't available in say, the Jot Script Fine Point from Adonis or the Wacom Bamboo?

It depends what you are shopping for. Are you looking for a technical design pen, with many features, then maybe some of the mentioned alternatives might be perfect. But if you are looking for something to draw ideas, then the size and the overall feel is important, whereas some other features are less so.

That is the reason why some people buy a Bic roller, others buy a Pentel, others buy a Mont Blanc and so on. Why should i buy a Faber Castell when I can get 20 of them for less money at my local supermarket?

As it happens with everything, some people value things a little differently than others. To me, design aside, the "feel" of a writing instrument is important. Does it feel solid, can i grab it and just freely draw a line? Well, that's what I am looking for. It is quite hard to explain in words, especially as english is not even my language.

Is the glass trackpad better than a plastic one? They perform the same function, are more or less the same precision, and the glass one costs a lot more.

But they "feel" completely different. Apple as a company spends hours on these things, as an architect i try to do the same. Why shouldn't the feel of a pen be important? Why shouldn't I value its design and overall feeling the same as I do the function?

As I said before, it is not perfect, by no means. But to me, personally, it represents the best solution for drawing and creating on the go. I don't need millimetrical precision, but I cherish a solid object, one that I can draw "strong lines" with.

If form follows function, then not all drawings on tablet are created equal (a diagram is different than a perspective), so why should all pens be equal?

Only curious... and no... I have no affiliation whatsoever with Adonis or Wacom.

neither do I with 53 or any other company. I hope I provided some more insight as to why I will purchase the Pen. It was an interesting thing to do. Explaining why the pen is important to an architect is always nice. I know, half of you might consider architects crazy, and you are probably right :-) But the pen really is a "totem" of some sorts.

• Reply 34 of 37
    imat wrote: »
    neither do I with 53 or any other company. I hope I provided some more insight as to why I will purchase the Pen. It was an interesting thing to do. Explaining why the pen is important to an architect is always nice. I know, half of you might consider architects crazy, and you are probably right :-) But the pen really is a "totem" of some sorts.
    Funny enough, I'm 8 credits and a board exam short of a degree in architecture... from almost 30 years ago. I've written here many times that Apple changed my life, well it also caused me to skip my last semester, which I never found the time... and to be quite honest the need... to go back to (don't tell my nephew!).

Since I was specializing primarily in architectural conceptualization, I was working 2 part time jobs as a photographer's assistant and in a print shop as a graphic designer. The photographer needed a computer to create a database of his photos/negatives, and the printer was naturally curious about that new thing called "desktop publishing" to possibly bring down his imagesetting costs and flexibility.

There was only one computer to consider at the time to "catch 2 cats with one mouse": an Apple Macintosh, Summer '85.

Gut instinct on my part and a huge leap of faith from my employers in my ability to make it work, paid off for them and for me for the last 30 years. No need to look back. I love architecture to this day, and still use it and many of it's star designers as inspiration for graphics work. Naturally getting in on the ground floor of computer tech and realizing another of my childhood interests in electronics; and combining it with all of my creative interests such as photography, printing, etc... well what can I say: the Mac gave me a chance to realize all of my dreams and interests in one small package. It just all came together thru luck and being in the right place at the right time. That's why I rarely recount me story... and never to young people, because an education and a degree in anything is a must AFAIC(!)

Back to the present: I was curious mainly as to what you saw in the 53 as opposed to the others, because I have worked and lived with an Xacto or Rapido in my hand or at my side for a few decades now. Even though I have used carpenter pencils, I prefer the slim, light and well balanced in the hand... when considering writing/drawing instruments. Since these are "traditional factors" and common instruments for architects... it was why I questioned your and your team's particular choice. Also I thought it helpful pointing to a device that *I* might consider if I wanted a stylus for my iPad.

It would be interesting to hear your collective responses once you've had a chance to use the 53's for a while... so if ya think about it, be sure to come back to the thread here and comment.

:rolleyes:.. I'm such a hopeless Fanboy, I'm starting to get worried about myself!
  • Reply 35 of 37
    There is most definitely a way to check the battery status. Hit the 53 logo on the main page of Paper and then go to Pencil.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    What's up with all this pap reporting from AI these past few days!?

There is a lot of serious Apple (and tech) news floating around, and all you can come up with is product placements?

No one forced you to read it
  • Reply 37 of 37
    charlituna wrote: »

No one forced you to read it

I guess you missed the point of the post.

What else is new.