Apple falls to 35th spot in annual 'Best Places to Work' employee survey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In job listing website Glassdoor.com's annual "Best Places to Work 2014" list, reviews from Apple employees put the Cupertino company at No. 35, down one spot from last year's finish.

Glassdoor
Source: Glassdoor

After breaking into the top-ten on Glassdoor's list in 2011, employee reviews now have company in 35th place despite dropping only 0.1 points on a five-point "Satisfaction" rating scale. For this year's list, Apple received a score of 3.8 out of 5.

Glassdoor ranks the top 50 U.S. companies to work for based on responses from over 500,000 company reviews that came in over the past 12 months. Apple's score is the result of an average taken from 2,557 ratings. As for the company's leadership, CEO Tim Cook received an approval rating of 92 percent on 1,152 ratings.

The "Review Highlights" section, which generates snippets from extrapolated recurring keywords found in individual reviews, notes two "Pros" and two "Cons" of working at Apple:

Pros:
  • "The pros are that you work with great people with great hours and great benefits"
  • "You get to meet a lot of great people since you are always in the public eye"
Cons:
  • "Being relentlessly driven also means it is not easy to achieve work/life balance"
  • "Sometimes long hours because of product launches, but thats the best part of apple"
While Apple is flirting with the bottom fourth of the list, it is still the 16th-best tech company to work for in the nation. This year, technology firms accounted for 22 of the top 50, with giants Twitter and Facebook mixed in with smaller, less well-known companies like Slalom Consulting, an IT business services operation out of Seattle, Wash.

Overall, consulting firm Bain & Company took the top spot, followed by Twitter and LinkedIn, each of which received a score of 4.6. Facebook was the next tech company on the list at No. 5, while enterprise telecom services firm Interactive Intelligence came away with 6th place. Google and Qualcomm followed in 8th and 13th place, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Weird way of scoring companies. Most of the businesses on the list seem more like "corporate" jobs that score high while some of the companies rate a combined "corporate" and retail. Obviously retail will cause scores to falter as there are always unhappy retail workers. I think it would have made sense to put them in two separate categories.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    So it's a yelp rating created by volunteer surveys of employees and not any kind of actual factual information in a statistically sound protocol.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cons:

• "Sometimes long hours because of product launches, but thats the best part of apple"

Hmmmm... Some one seems very confused... lol...

• Reply 4 of 32
    j4zb4 wrote: »
    Cons:

Hmmmm... Some one seems very confused... lol...

Apple has "problems" (too much cash, can't keep up with overwhelming demand, slavishly devoted employees and customers) that Skamstung, Google and Microsoft would kill for...
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Tim said at AllThingsD on 5/29/2012 (D10):

[quote]We decided over a decade ago that there were things we could do better than anyone else; but there are others who do things as well or better. Operational expertise, and supply chain management, Apple has driven that. But manufacturing, that’s not true. In terms of how the factories are doing, this year, we put a ton of effort into taking overtime down. That’s hard because some people want to work a lot. We are already up to 95% compliance. We are measuring working hours for 700,000 people, and we’re reporting it, you can see it on our website. We are micro-managing that, doing it in a way, showing a level of care, that I don’t see in other places. I think it is really important.[/quote]

So perhaps the employees of many outsourced work were also reviewing?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Hmm, in other news, Apple broke into the top 25 "happiest companies": http://www.businessinsider.com/25-happiest-companies-in-america-2013-12?op=1
  • Reply 7 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Tim said at AllThingsD on 5/29/2012 (D10):
    So perhaps the employees of many outsourced work were also reviewing?
    My guess is retail pulls Apple down. And it seems like this survey would be more meaningful if it separated retail from corporate.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    charlituna wrote: »
    So it's a yelp rating created by volunteer surveys of employees and not any kind of actual factual information in a statistically sound protocol.
    Pretty much.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    powersfoss wrote: »
    Hmm, in other news, Apple broke into the top 25 "happiest companies": http://www.businessinsider.com/25-happiest-companies-in-america-2013-12?op=1

So now we know why Forstall was let go. :D
  • Reply 10 of 32

Samsung, emboldened by the success of paying off JD Power & Associates to give Apple the highest score but themselves the award, has decided to pay off LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE OTHER RATING SYSTEM ON THE PLANET.

• Reply 11 of 32

Seems the happiest places are also the ones that throw the most gimmes and handouts to employees.

VACATIONS + BENEFITS. That's what Made-in-America is all about today. Never mind product quality and consumer satisfaction, make sure the employee is livin' large, yo. Small wonder then, about foreign manufacturing.

It would appear that "Being relentlessly driven" is what was responsible for Apple's success in the first place. Glad to see it's still alive and well in Cupertino. 

• Reply 12 of 32
    rogifan wrote: »
    My guess is retail pulls Apple down. And it seems like this survey would be more meaningful if it separated retail from corporate.

Indeed, and that's what Rokrad also wrote. There were overtime issues, bag search in their own time and so on.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    So Bain is first with 480 reviews and Apple is 35th with 2558 reviews. What kind of a stupid survey is that? They should have split it by number of reviews and not by number of employees.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

How to go from 10th best place to work to 34th best place to work in 1 year, just add John Browett.

That guy really ballsed it up.

• Reply 15 of 32

I think there is some accuracy in this.  I don't know anyone at Apple who isn't at least D-level who aren't unhappy.  In the past year, two of my friends have quit, due to the extremely long hours, extensive travel, and, while the stock has not been doing well, poor compensation.

Apple do need to compete for the best people, and at the moment, the only thing they compete well on is that they are a "cool" brand.  Their pay is significantly worse than companies like Google, Facebook and Netflix, and these are all companies who Apple have to compete with directly for talent.

Personally I'd love to work for Apple at some point, because I'd love to have some part in the products they make which I love so much, but providing for my family comes first for me, and the facts are I can earn significantly more money elsewhere, with less travel, and hence provide a much better home life.

• Reply 16 of 32
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

…while the stock has not been doing well, poor compensation.

Yeah, I refuse to believe this.

• Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, I refuse to believe this.

You can believe whatever you like.

I was genuinely stunned by how low the salaries are at Apple.  I've never heard of any software engineer making over $200k at Apple.  For comparison, in my team at another Silicon Valley tech company (a big one), I don't have any software engineers making less than $200k.

• Reply 18 of 32
    You can believe whatever you like.

I was genuinely stunned by how low the salaries are at Apple.  I've never heard of any software engineer making over $200k at Apple.  For comparison, in my team at another Silicon Valley tech company (a big one), I don't have any software engineers making less than $200k.

Does your company rank higher than Apple?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Does your company rank higher than Apple?

We're not in the ranking list Apple are (we don't qualify as a "large" company).  We also have some cultural issues as well.  I don't put us up as a model company, what I do say is that many companies (us included) pay significantly more than Apple.

• Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's hard to sell snake-oil when statistically sound studies and factual information are required to back up the claims.