Apple falls to 35th spot in annual 'Best Places to Work' employee survey

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You can believe whatever you like.

I was genuinely stunned by how low the salaries are at Apple.  I've never heard of any software engineer making over $200k at Apple.  For comparison, in my team at another Silicon Valley tech company (a big one), I don't have any software engineers making less than $200k.

This. I've worked for two of the companies ranked higher than Apple, and my wife was head-hunted by Apple. The compensation offered at Apple is lower than competing firms; Apple banks (successfully) on its cachet to attract talent.

• Reply 22 of 32
    Samsung, emboldened by the success of paying off JD Power & Associates to give Apple the highest score but themselves the award, has decided to pay off LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE OTHER RATING SYSTEM ON THE PLANET.

Interesting. Did not know this. Do you have a link? Thanks!
  • Reply 23 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I was genuinely stunned by how low the salaries are at Apple.  I've never heard of any software engineer making over $200k at Apple.  For comparison, in my team at another Silicon Valley tech company (a big one), I don't have any software engineers making less than $200k.
    So you've "never heard of any software engineer making over $200k at Apple" = Apple's salaries are low. Because anecdotal evidence equals fact these days. :no:
  • Reply 24 of 32
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    I work for one of the large companies on the list... and I think its too low on the list... from my own experience, to what I read about most of these other companies, I think the list is quite accurate.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So it's a yelp rating created by volunteer surveys of employees and not any kind of actual factual information in a statistically sound protocol.

I'm not sure if they list their methodology.  Fortune has been publishing a list since 1998 that at least shows their criteria and methods- though I'd think any ranking along these lines is going to have a measure of subjectivity.

Their 2013 list is here:   http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/best-companies/2013/list/?iid=bc_sp_full

• Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So you've "never heard of any software engineer making over $200k at Apple" = Apple's salaries are low. Because anecdotal evidence equals fact these days. image

No, anecdotal evidence does not equal fact, but the fact that neither Apple, nor any of the big tech companies, are going to boldly publish all of their salaries, anecdotal evidence is what we have.

I can tell you from experience that when I've been recruiting software engineers, and I've had someone from Apple apply, compensation has never been a barrier for me hiring them - I've always been offering more than Apple pay.

I assume you want Apple to have the best people working for them, because I assume you want Apple to keep making great products?  Well, I'm saying that in my experience, Apple are not competing for the best people at the moment.  I consider my competition when I'm looking for (experienced) talent, to be Google, Facebook and Twitter.

• Reply 27 of 32

Yeah, I refuse to believe this.

Yeah, I refuse to believe this.

You do understand the majority is working in retail, with over 400 Stores their head count is now over 80,000. Very rough estimate tells me 50,000 employees are in the $25,000 - $35,000 range, leaving some 32,000 at corporate. Of those, I believe the number of engineers is around 18,000 making their salary quite a bit higher than the average stated in the article.

Edit: what's up with the double quoting I'm getting tonight? Side effect of the newly implemented Draft feature?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You do understand the majority is working in retail, with over 400 Stores their head count is now over 80,000. Very rough estimate tells me 50,000 employees are in the $25,000 - $35,000 range, leaving some 32,000 at corporate. Of those, I believe the number of engineers is around 18,000 making their salary quite a bit higher than the average stated in the article.

Edit: what's up with the double quoting I'm getting tonight? Side effect of the newly implemented Draft feature?

The article doesn't say anything about salaries.

I'm saying that in my experience of hiring software engineers in the Valley, Apple are not paying in line with companies they are competing with for talent.

• Reply 29 of 32
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

…the newly implemented Draft feature?

Oh, so that explains why Safari crashed TWENTY-SIX TIMES during my writing of a reply somewhere else on the site.

And six times while writing th seven times while wr eight times while writing this reply.

Okay, I’m done. Fix the problem; I’m not posting again until it stops cras

…nine times.

• Reply 30 of 32
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So it's a yelp rating created by volunteer surveys of employees and not any kind of actual factual information in a statistically sound protocol.

I was thinking the same thing, so what we are probably seeing:

1. People were encourage to go do the survey to help a company promote themselves as a good place to work so they can hire them at a lower wage

2. The people at the top company have way too much time on their hand so they have time to spend yelping about where they work, so of course they ranked them well.

3. Lastly, just like a yelp ranking it is subject to the person expectations and much life experience and what they consider good or bad. Not like you have not seen someone going into the upscale restaurant and complain about the portions being small and the price being high, what did they expect. 

• Reply 31 of 32
    The article doesn't say anything about salaries.

Strange. I really thought I read it here earlier today when I was on my desktop. Perhaps I followed the links, but now I cannot get he same page. I did find this:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Apple-Salaries-E1138.htm

Salary for senior software engineer maxes out at $182,000 according to this Glassdoor company.
    I'm saying that in my experience of hiring software engineers in the Valley, Apple are not paying in line with companies they are competing with for talent.

Ah ok, that May, I have no idea and never heard anyone speak of salary while working at Apple, or afterwards, making the above link useless.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Now can we have a list of top 100 things to have done with your life. I'm guessing that working for any one of those companies wouldn't appear on the list.