Walmart to cut $72 off iPhone 5c and 5s pricing in holiday sale

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a two-week holiday sale that starts this Friday, Walmart will be offering a substantial $72 discount on Apple's iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s when purchased with a two-year wireless agreement.

According to The Los Angeles Times, Walmart is planning to slash pricing on the 16GB iPhone 5c and 5s as part of its holiday promotion, resulting in some of the lowest prices currently available.

The largest discount by percentage of off retail will be the iPhone 5c, which is set to drop from $99 to only $27 with a two-year contract from AT&T or Verizon. Apple's flagship iPhone 5s will also see a $72 discount, dropping from $199 to $127.

In addition to the two iPhone models, Walmart said a range of other Apple products will also get special pricing, including $30 iTunes gift cards, which will sell for $25. The retailer is also giving out a $50 gift card with the purchase of a 16GB non-Retina iPad mini.

Also on Friday, Walmart is expected to start sales of contract-free iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models, to be available through wireless carriers Straight Talk Wireless and NET10 Wireless.

Walmart's holiday sale is set to go live on Friday at 8 a.m. local time, and will run through Dec. 24 or while supplies last.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

The funny thing is that Wal-Mart is actually not the best deal this time. Believe it or not Target has a better deal this time around on both I Phones and I got 3 ( 2 5C and 1 5S) this past Monday. The 5C was regular priced at 47.00 with a 50.00 gift card so it was basically free and the 5S was only 170.00 with a 30 gift card + with my trade in on my old I phone and another 25.00 added on made the 5s much cheaper than Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and definitely the carrier store. Lol who would have thought Target of all places? 

• Reply 2 of 7

$170 with a 30 dollar gift card is not cheaper than $127.

• Reply 3 of 7
    iobserve wrote: »
    $170 with a 30 dollar gift card is not cheaper than $127.

Depending on the condition and model of iPhone traded in, other options (& certainly Wal-Mart) would have been much better deals.

I've never gotten less than $100 for my used-unlocked-by-carrier-at-contract-end iPhones, and usually $200

At those prices one would be incredibly dumb to buy an AT&T or Verizon contract-subsidized iPhone anywhere but Wal-Mart.

I guess T-Mobile really is stinging the big boys (& homeskooled math is killing Amercia)...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Depending on the condition and model of iPhone traded in, other options (& certainly Wal-Mart) would have been much better deals.

I've never gotten less than $100 for my used-unlocked-by-carrier-at-contract-end iPhones, and usually $200

At those prices one would be incredibly dumb to buy an AT&T or Verizon contract-subsidized iPhone anywhere but Wal-Mart.

I guess T-Mobile really is stinging the big boys (& homeskooled math is killing Amercia)...

I get some people are better off getting a subsidized phone, but in most cases, it seems like people would be better off going to somebody like T-Mobile. At T-Mobile you can get an unlimited plan that provides a personal hot spot and free global roaming for as little as $50 a month. Currently, T-Mobile will give you the iPhone 5C and 5S for zero dollars down. You then just have to pay for the phone over two years in a monthly installments on an interest free loan. That comes out to about $25 a month. So for about $80 a month you have a contract free service plan with an iPhone. That beats these Walmart type deals. 

• Reply 5 of 7
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

PS:

I just sold a four year old 16 GB 3GS for $78. 

• Reply 6 of 7

Actually, looking at our receipt the total price paid on the 5S was 40.00 not 127.00 so, no Wal-Mart at this time would not have been the price for me. 

As far the a T Mobile deal..well I was with T Mobile for 9 years and could not wait to end our agreement and went with AT&T. I Travel for a living and have been left high and dry in more than a few locations. Arkansas, Wisconsin, Utah Minnesota Ohio and Maryland have all been states I had issues with the service. Now, while when I lived in Texas and GeorgiaI I was okay and had little issues however, as stated before the other states I either got Edge, 2G ( which actually was on a ATT tower guess that have an agreement with them) or no service at all despite being in visual range of three cell phone towers. I had a 4G phone so I should have had no issues plus the call center being routed over to India is an aggravation I just did not need. 

The whole subsidies from the carriers vs T Mobile is more of a marketing gimmick. Rather you pay a monthly price on top of your bill or just your bill is with the other carriers is it really comes out to the same. The " no contract" TM is running is just a contract for the phone whereas with the other guys it is a contract for the service. Believe me you may be able to walk away from TM without having to pay an early termination fee however, you WILL have to pay that phone off they gave you in full. 

I guess one would have to look at what works for them and go from there and TM is no longer an option for me additionally, mg deal at Target worked out to be a better deal than Wal-Mart on the 5S and definitely the 5c with them owning me money on the phone after the sale. 

• Reply 7 of 7

Walmart can be screwy though. Last week on their website they were offering the 16GB WiFi iPad Mini (non retina) for a whopping $399, which is $100 over what Apple asks.