Apple updates Remote app with iTunes Radio control

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released an update to its Remote iOS app, adding functionality to control the recently released iTunes Radio when playing on a Mac or PC.

New Remote app

No other changes were made to Remote beyond the added iTunes Radio control, though Apple did refresh the app's aesthetics in November to bring the title up to date with iOS 7.

Prior to today's update, Remote was limited to controlling and iTunes running on a Mac or PC, as well as navigate the Apple TV UI.

Remote comes in at 20MB and can be downloaded for free from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Keep rolling, iterating, improving. Your doing great Apple
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Is Apple running 2 code bases for this app, one for iPhone and the other for iPad? I cannot find "visualizer" or "up next" controls on the iPad (they are available on the iPhone). It is unusual to find an iPad app with less functionality than the equivalent iPhone app. Nice to be able to control iTunes Radio though.

(Aside: Safari on my first-gen retina iPad (iOS 7.0.4) crashed 4 times while I was typing this. AppleInsider, care to streamline your code - I don't expect Apple to fix whatever issue is causing the extreme data entry lag and crashes any time soon so Tag, You're It).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    red oak wrote: »
    Keep rolling, iterating, improving. Your doing great Apple

I am sure it'll get better, but at the moment, I am completely underwhelmed by the content in iTunes Radio. Little improvements like this don't matter all that much if the content is not up to par.

I find that the selection in jazz, world, classic rock, and Indian classical are limited and repetitive. Moreover, the radio suddenly tends to stop after a couple of dozen songs have been played. This despite the fact that I have iTunes Match and am, therefore, not ad-dependent.

My personal collection in each of these categories far exceeds what Apple is offering me so far.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    softeky wrote: »
    (Aside: Safari on my first-gen retina iPad (iOS 7.0.4) crashed 4 times while I was typing this. AppleInsider, care to streamline your code - I don't expect Apple to fix whatever issue is causing the extreme data entry lag and crashes any time soon so Tag, You're It).

Same thing happened to me. Earlier today, in OSX safari as well. AI's website has become truly crappy. I've complained to them, but let's see if something happens. Otherwise, I am giving up on it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Glad to see their continuing to improve the Remote app. I really wish it had equalizer controls.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Now all Apple has to do is get their Butts into gear & get moving with the international roll out!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    softeky wrote: »

Same thing happened to me. Earlier today, in OSX safari as well. AI's website has become truly crappy. I've complained to them, but let's see if something happens. Otherwise, I am giving up on it.

Same here. Zoetmb even started a thread, but knowing Huddler this is going to take ages for them to fix it.

Pfew, this post without a single crash!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The Remote app%u2019s UI was changed. It went from a white (blinding) screen to a transparent charcoal - do you people even use the app?