Apple's iOS nabbed 76% of small & medium business device activations in 2013, study says

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to SMB email management company Intermedia, some 190,000 iPhones and iPads were activated on its network in the first ten months of 2013, grossly outpacing No. 2 Samsung's 29,000 activations.

Intermedia
Source: Intermedia

In its annual "2013 Small + Medium Business Mobile Trends Report," hosted Microsoft Exchange provider Intermedia said Apple devices helped push SMBs further toward mobile with 190,000 device activations from January to October, a number representing 76 percent of total activations seen by the firm.

Intermedia claims to be the world's largest third-party provider of hosted Exchange, delivering integrated email, calendars, contacts and other business tools to nearly 700,000 business users. Findings were gathered anonymously from the company's ActiveSync activation program.

While Apple accounted for a huge portion of activations over the first ten months of the year, Samsung also grew with 29,000 device adds. Coming in third was Motorola with over 13,800 activations over the same period. Microsoft's Windows-powered smartphones and tablets saw activation increase of 93 percent, though their baseline marketshare was quite small.

Intermedia

Other interesting takeaways from the study include SMB's predilection for the iPhone 5s over the cheaper 5c. Since launching in October, the iPhone 5s rang up 6,906 activations, compared to the 1,521 for the 5c. Further, the iPhone 5, 4S and 4 all saw more activations than the newer low-cost model.

The firm postulates the lackluster iPhone 5c performance may be attributed to businesses being more motivated to buy a device based on functionality than by price.

Finally, the overall SMB mobile market is still expanding, with the total aggregate of device activations increasing from 88,680 in 2011, to 217,050 in 2012. Up to October, total activations for the 2013 calendar year stood at 249,872 devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    While Mr. Balmer was wondering - How Can I MaKe Money?
    What will happen if SamScum ( yeah!!! ) stops using the android kernel ( i doubt it )?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

While Mr. Balmer was wondering - How Can I MaKe Money?

What will happen if SamScum ( yeah!!! ) stops using the android kernel ( i doubt it )?

It's interesting that a lot of dullards and the perpetually ignorant accuse Apple of money-grubbing and profiteering, but all Ballmer can do for his big exit is try to boast about how much money he (allegedly) made the company. 

You can tell when someone is overly concerned about their (negative) legacy when instead of talking about great product milestones (MS has barely had any for the past decade) they descend into bean-counting drivel. Ballmer has nothing to show for his tenure, apart from slowly but surely running the company into the ground re: all the areas that actually matter in consumer tech for the past decade. 

Oh. But they DO have a money-losing, dodgy quality-control console you can play Halo on or some shit. 

"Microsoft Research", yo.    LMAO

• Reply 3 of 15
    This re[port is in line with an earlier Good Technology survey of 5.000 companies/organisations in 130 countries which found that[B][COLOR=blue][B] "Apple leads business adoption with 72% mobile devices, 90% of tablets, 95% of apps%u201D[/B][/COLOR][/B]

They found:

* Total mobile device activations are up nearly 60% year on year

* iPads have a 90% share of tablets in enterprise/organisations. The Surface/Windows tablets have almost Zero share

* 95% of all Apps activations for business are iOS

* iPhones share of smartphones in enterprise/smartphones has increased from 69% to 72%, in just the last quarter.

* 65% of respondent companies/organisations have BOYD policy and another 23% are in the midst of developing one

media.www1.good.com/documents/Good-Q2-Q3-2013-Device-Activations.pdf
  • Reply 4 of 15
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

* iPhones share of smartphones in enterprise/smartphones has increased from 69% to 72%, in just the last quarter.

Wonder how much that is down to Touch ID? Seems to me it's a defining feature for a business-use phone. 

• Reply 5 of 15
    I'd like to know why, if Apple is such a great company, with so much money and talent, how come the President of the United States HAS to use a smartphone made in Canada? BlackBerry is a company nearly out of the smartphone picture, yet it's the only smartphone that's secure enough for POTUS. Apple ought to be ashamed of itself for such blatant incompetence. To me that's like the U.S. Air Force having to use Russian MIGS for defense. So freaking stupid. I consider POTUS having to use a Canadian-built smartphone a national embarrassment.

If Apple really wanted to prove itself, it would design an iPhone far more secure than a BlackBerry, take it to POTUS and tell him to use a smartphone designed in America instead of some Canadian crap. Of course, Tim Cook doesn't have the stones to do something like that and that's why Apple is so disrespected as a company by Wall Street and the rest of the tech industry. If the leader of the nation can't rely on an iPhone then Apple deserves all the dirt that's constantly heaped upon it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'd like to know why, if Apple is such a great company, with so much money and talent, how come the President of the United States HAS to use a smartphone made in Canada? BlackBerry is a company nearly out of the smartphone picture, yet it's the only smartphone that's secure enough for POTUS. Apple ought to be ashamed of itself for such blatant incompetence. To me that's like the U.S. Air Force having to use Russian MIGS for defense. So freaking stupid. I consider POTUS having to use a Canadian-built smartphone a national embarrassment.

If Apple really wanted to prove itself, it would design an iPhone far more secure than a BlackBerry, take it to POTUS and tell him to use a smartphone designed in America instead of some Canadian crap. Of course, Tim Cook doesn't have the stones to do something like that and that's why Apple is so disrespected as a company by Wall Street and the rest of the tech industry. If the leader of the nation can't rely on an iPhone then Apple deserves all the dirt that's constantly heaped upon it.

I doubt Apple cares what phone the POTUS is using .I doubt consumers care.  It has absolutely zero influence on marketing ROI, market share, or any other measure of popularity or success. Apple doesn't care (nor should they) that it's not secure enough for the White House when it *is* more than secure enough for deep enterprise penetration almost everywhere else, as we've seen over the years. Hell, that's even made clear by a news item posted right here sometime over the past couple of days. 

POTUS phone usage is really a question of curiosity. It's just trivia compared to metrics that actually matter. No one's really dying to use what Obama's using. And if it's embarrassing for him to use a Blackberry, that's really his own problem. There are bigger fish to fry for Apple than satisfy niche patriotic fetishes. They already rule the US market. And if we'd like to give credence to what phone a world leader is using, the Chinese President's product choice would probably be more in line with Apple's concerns at this particular juncture.

• Reply 7 of 15
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But but but market share!!! Big screens!!!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    It's very strange that Android hasn't broken into tablet market as easily as they did the handset* market. There are plenty of great HW options but the SW and app selection is still incredible poor.

*[SIZE=2] I mean handset, not smartphone, as I believe most Android-based phones should fall under the feature phone category.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 9 of 15
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's very strange that Android hasn't broken into tablet market as easily as they did the handset* market. There are plenty of great HW options but the SW and app selection is still incredible poor.

* I mean handset, not smartphone, as I believe most Android-based phones should fall under the feature phone category.

You answered your own question there. Some people buy a cheap android phone but want a highly competent iPad. They put their money where they want to spend their time.

What really warms my cockles is that the MS Surface is getting no love, and that's what got to burn Ballmer buns the best! Given a choice, people vote for Apple iOS not Windoze...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    enzos wrote: »
    Wonder how much that is down to Touch ID? Seems to me it's a defining feature for a business-use phone. 

Touch ID and App-secific VPN policies as well as account specific email signatures.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So this is why AAPL is down $6 so far today,
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

* I mean handset, not smartphone, as I believe most Android-based phones should fall under the feature phone category.

Because there are no 'feature' tablets, a smartphone (I use that term lightly) can get away with being used simply to make calls, SMS/MMS, email, FB, Twitter, and IG. A tablet needs a multitude of good tablet specific apps (which Android still woefully lacks) to be worth the purchase, and anyone with half a brain knows that the iPad is the best choice.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I doubt Apple cares what phone the POTUS is using .I doubt consumers care.  It has absolutely zero influence on marketing ROI, market share, or any other measure of popularity or success. Apple doesn't care (nor should they) that it's not secure enough for the White House when it *is* more than secure enough for deep enterprise penetration almost everywhere else, as we've seen over the years. Hell, that's even made clear by a news item posted right here sometime over the past couple of days. 

POTUS phone usage is really a question of curiosity. It's just trivia compared to metrics that actually matter. No one's really dying to use what Obama's using. And if it's embarrassing for him to use a Blackberry, that's really his own problem. There are bigger fish to fry for Apple than satisfy niche patriotic fetishes. They already rule the US market. And if we'd like to give credence to what phone a world leader is using, the Chinese President's product choice would probably be more in line with Apple's concerns at this particular juncture.

I am certain he can't explain why BlackBerry 10 is more secure than Apple iOS; because, in fact, Apple iOS is more secure than BlackBerry 10. Security certifications are another matter altogether and BlackBerry does have more security certifications than Apple iOS.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I am certain he can't explain why BlackBerry 10 is more secure than Apple iOS; because, in fact, Apple iOS is more secure than BlackBerry 10. 

Can you explain what security advantages iOS has over BB10?