Apple provides iOS 7.1 beta 2 to developers with bug fixes for iTunes Match, Touch ID tweaks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday provided developers with the second beta of iOS 7.1, its forthcoming maintenance and security update for iPhone and iPad, with the pre-release software featuring fixes for issues related to iTunes Match, and also making it easier for users to access Touch ID settings on their iPhone 5s.

Beta

iOS 7.1 beta 2 is now available for download from Apple's developer website, as well as over the air on test devices. It is not intended for general public use, and is provided solely to developers for testing purposes. The software is said to be identified as build 11D5115d.

People familiar with the second beta of iOS 7.1 revealed that the update addresses a bug with iTunes Match that would make load times of large libraries particularly lengthy. The new update should address that bug and make it easier for iTunes Match subscribers to access their music in the cloud.

In a more obvious change to the software, Apple has reportedly moved the "Touch ID & Passcode" options to the main menu of the system's Settings application. Options for Touch ID and lockscreen passcodes can now be found sandwiched between the "Sounds" and "Privacy" settings.

Apple is also said to have informed developers that crash logs for testing will now appear in the Diagnostics & Usage Data menu in Settings starting with the second beta.

The software is not yet ready for prime-time, and issues remain, including a bug that prevents audiobooks from playing. Apple is also said to have warned developers that iCloud Keychain may not be able to be enabled during new iCloud account setup.

Bugs also exist when running 32-bit apps on 64-bit devices, like the iPhone 5s or iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display. Those 32-bit apps can reportedly have trouble with Bluetooth connectivity.

The first beta of iOS 7.1 was shipped to developers nearly a month ago. The last publicly released update came in the form of iOS 7.0.4 last month, which addressed a bug related to FaceTime calls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

That's great!

Calendar update makes it a lot more functional like it used to be.

Faster animations is cool too, I've disabled them and it feels so fast that I wonder if I'll want to re-enable them.

• Reply 2 of 43
    At the pace they are going this looks like a January 2014 release - like in most places, they will probably have a code freeze during the Dec 20-Jan 4th time frame
  • Reply 3 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I hear a button feature has been added to the accessibility settings.  And animations are faster.

• Reply 4 of 43
    I get crashes in 7.0.4 on iPhone 5s regularly -- disappointed with the lack of quality control.

Why all apps are STILL not landscape compatible, I will never understand -- the Phone app STILL is not. :( Not to mention 3rd party apps -- I wish Apple would mandate that all App Store submission also fully work in landscape mode!

It's also dumb that you cannot switch from cellular call to FaceTime Audio, and cannot switch from FaceTime Video to FaceTime Audio w/out ending the session.

Also, why can't we get the share button in the Phone app for voicemails?!

One of the biggest issues is lists of Apps in Usage or Notifications when you have to scroll forever through a long list, but there is no search ability! It is a still a nightmare to manage Applications on an iOS device when you have many. There is still no unified file system either for storing files except for the Camera Roll - why does it have to be such a kludge?!

iOS 7 is a lot of graphic/animation change for visual sake, but some of these meat and potatoes above are still lacking.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I get crashes in 7.0.4 on iPhone 5s regularly -- disappointed with the lack of quality control.

Why all apps are STILL not landscape compatible, I will never understand -- the Phone app STILL is not. image Not to mention 3rd party apps -- I wish Apple would mandate that all App Store submission also fully work in landscape mode!

It's also dumb that you cannot switch from cellular call to FaceTime Audio, and cannot switch from FaceTime Video to FaceTime Audio w/out ending the session.

One of the biggest issues is lists of Apps in Usage or Notifications when you have to scroll forever through a long list, but there is no search ability! It is a still a nightmare to manage Applications on an iOS device when you have many. There is still no unified file system either for storing files except for the Camera Roll - why does it have to be such a kludge?!

iOS 7 is a lot of graphic/animation change for visual sake, but some of these meat and potatoes above are still lacking.

Did you submit these to Apple on their Feedback page? That's the best way to do it. Hell, do it more than once if you have to.

• Reply 6 of 43
    What about battery life ?
    In iOS 7 I have trouble, the battery life is about 5 hours of on screen usage, last time it was 5:15...
    I know it's part of because I got almost 14 months old phone and most of the time at max brightness (love that fine bright colorful retina display more than the battery) but it is still a lot less than battery life than on iOS 6 which was about 7 hours.
    My usage is a lot of browsing, and light games like angry birds or temple run.

Love iOS 7 and this is only disadvantage besides a few lags when displaying Game Center "welcome" and a few crashes, but I expected this after such overhaul.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

...Why all apps are STILL not landscape compatible, I will never understand -- the Phone app STILL is not. image Not to mention 3rd party apps -- I wish Apple would mandate that all App Store submission also fully work in landscape mode!iOS 7 is a lot of graphic/animation change...

...for visual sake, but some of these meat and potatoes above are still lacking.

I could not DISAGREE more with you on the landscape request. There are some things that just don't work in landscape and vice-versa. Making so that it fits in landscape but compromises the functionality is plain dumb.

As to your other suggestions have you reported these as issues or provided Apple with feedback? They do listen and things change (e.g., Jobs felt that Apple should be the only App developer, the masses disagreed so he changed things -- pretty radically). You make some things that you would like (that I quite frankly don't) sound like they are bugs. Tell Apple what you want, you may be surprised.

• Reply 8 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Holy crap it looks like they are finally addressing those retarded animations. THANK GOD!
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday provided developers with the second beta of iOS 7.1, its forthcoming maintenance and security update for iPhone and iPad, with the pre-release software featuring fixes for issues related to iTunes Match, and also making it easier for users to access Touch ID settings on their iPhone 5s....

What I find amazing is that the people that agreed to a NDA typically send you guys screen shots of stuff that is provided, with the express requirement that it be kept confidential, before I even get an email as a developer.

Some of these are the same folks that bitch about the stock values fluctuating $100's of dollars up and down based on half truths or guesses.

I like hearing about these things but as a developer and a former Apple employee I have no respect for people that will agree to anything so they can get the info and then feel like some hot shot for talking.

There is quite a bit of news without posting content that came from a source under an NDA. Shame on you, Santa is gonna leave a cat turd in your stocking., and I hope you eat it.

Happy freaking holidaze man!

• Reply 10 of 43

Why would they take the dark keyboard option out? My eyes were feeling better just thinking about using it full time. 

• Reply 11 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    Holy crap it looks like they are finally addressing those retarded animations. THANK GOD!
    Retarded? Hyperbole much?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm running an iPhone 4 and have to agree the crashes are a real black mark upon Apples QC department. It should embarrass Apple significantly that core apps like ITunes and music are crap on iOS 7.
    Why all apps are STILL not landscape compatible, I will never understand -- the Phone app STILL is not.
    In the case of the phone app it doesn't make a lot of sense. However the lacking of real improvements to the apps is a big disappointment.
    :( Not to mention 3rd party apps -- I wish Apple would mandate that all App Store submission also fully work in landscape mode!
    Why? That should be up to the developer and his users.
    This I agree with with respect to FaceTime. However a cell call switch is probably a lot more difficult.

Apple needs to something better with respect to file sharing between apps that is for sure. I suspect though that they did not expect apps to take off the way they did on the platform. I'd worry that any solution they come up with would be a kludge. I think part of the problem is the reluctance to support a finder like app for a globally accessible file system. Note that that file system could be accessible while securing the safety of the rest of the device.

In a nut shell I like the idea that Apple keeps my iPhone safe and functional. It is a good thing to do on a cell phone but it breaks down real quick on an iPad. As you note storing data other than photos is a massive kludge. So in this regard I have to support your concern.

Actually iOS 7 was mostly gloss in my mind. I was expecting improvements to many core apps that never came. This includes calendar, contacts, notes, mail and a few others. Some of these improvements would have been simple too. For example Notes could use the ability to create tables and frankly the functionality should equal the desktop app. In Contacts why do I have to go to my Mac to make a contact show up with the company name instead of the persons name? In a nut shell Apple should have improved parity between Mac and IOS apps.

I mean really if you have a contacts list, with both personal and business references why wouldn't you want to be able to see the companies name for business references. It is almost as if Apple is out of touch with the business world.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    delete wrote: »
    Why would they take the dark keyboard option out? My eyes were feeling better just thinking about using it full time. 

If they did that and the update ships that way, I'd be disappointed also as I rather like that keyboard.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by delete View Post

Did you check if it's available under alternate keyboards?

• Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Retarded? Hyperbole much?

No. They were and are retarded.

• Reply 16 of 43
    I've found the touch-id "forgets" my thumb-print after a month or so and I have to remap it. Perhaps others are having this problem and that's why "Touch ID & Passcode" is being moved to the main menu - easier access for the more-than-anticipated use.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtDent View Post

I've found the touch-id "forgets" my thumb-print after a month or so and I have to remap it. Perhaps others are having this problem and that's why "Touch ID & Passcode" is being moved to the main menu - easier access for the more-than-anticipated use.

Sounds like a bug. Be sure you're scanning in your finger correctly. I've seen videos on YouTube where you can see people scanning their finger in incorrectly. If you have done it correctly, send Apple feedback and contact Apple tech support to be sure they are hearing about this. This is why Touch ID started out on just one Apple product: to be sure they perfect it and kill all major bugs before they bring it across all their products.

• Reply 18 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    ireland wrote: »

Good God, man.

You make it sound like it seriously impacted your ability to use the device.

It's an ANIMATION on a mobile operating system fully re-written for 64 bit within a twelve month period and, when you take into consideration everything else that Apple achieved this year, quite remarkable that they did what they did.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No. They were and are retarded.

So tasteless hyperbole, then. Thanks for clarifying.

• Reply 20 of 43

I like the streamlined animations, but my biggest two complaints have yet to be addressed:

1) Safari still crashes a ridiculous amount compared to 6.1.x

2) Why in God's name can't I block Unknown and Blocked callers?!

I don't have a landline, my cell is my main number, so this time of year I am bombarded with "polls," robocalls, telemarketers etc. Android has had this ability since flippin' Ginger Bread, and even before that through third party apps, so what's the deal? They already allow me to block phone numbers I can identify, so why not give that same ability for numbers I can't? It's a couple lines of code, literally, so what's the issue?