Tony Fadell denies buying Apple's Product (RED) Mac Pro, gold EarPods at auction

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Though he was pictured holding the items, former Apple executive Tony Fadell has revealed he did not purchase a Product (RED) Mac Pro or a set of gold EarPods at a charity auction.

Red

Fadell took to Twitter on Friday to dispel speculation that he had bought the items at a Sotheby's auction in New York City last month. Earlier this week, a pair of photos showed him with both items, which led to the incorrect assumptions that he was now the owner.

The pictures were posted by noted photographer Kevin Abosch on Twitter, who even claimed that Fadell was "already trying to hack" the Product (RED) Mac Pro. Abosch also said Fadell "stopped by" to show off the items, though it's now been revealed he is not the true owner.

"To be clear, I'm not the owner of either," Fadell wrote on Twitter. "The real owner will reveal themselves if they so choose."

Red

The comments seem to suggest that one person did indeed purchase both of the extremely limited items crafted by Apple's design chief Jony Ive. They were part of a series of items auctioned off in November to benefit The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

The event proved popular, with the red-colored Mac Pro becoming the most expensive PC ever sold, at a price of $977,000. The gold EarPods also went for $461,000, meaning those two items alone cost their owner more than $1.4 million.

Fadell's tenure at Apple is best remembered for his role in creating the iPod, Apple's best selling media player. He has since moved on to found Nest, a home automation company that sells a connected thermostat and a smoke detector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

Even the rumors about things that aren’t even rumor material are fake!

• Reply 2 of 17
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He probably just doesn't want the world to know that he has $1.4 million in computer equipment in his home.

• Reply 3 of 17
    I think without a doubt he bought them. If someone had bought them, why would fadell be in possession of them? These are irreplaceable, one of a kind items. No one is going to let their friend take a $1,000,000 computer that belongs to them out on the street
  • Reply 4 of 17

Kudos to the fake pictures !!

That Photoshop work was extremely convincing :wow:

• Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

He probably just doesn't want the world to know that he has $1.4 million in computer equipment in his home.

Probably his wife found out, and he's like "No honey, I bought them online, really!!  Don't you look gorgeous today, did you do something to your hair?"

• Reply 6 of 17

Lol  I love the comments in the this thread.   

• Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The comments seem to suggest that one person did indeed purchase both

I haven't read his Twitter posts, but your Twitter snippet does conclude by saying "if they so choose"

• Reply 8 of 17
    robertsm wrote: »
    I think without a doubt he bought them. If someone had bought them, why would fadell be in possession of them? These are irreplaceable, one of a kind items. No one is going to let their friend take a $1,000,000 computer that belongs to them out on the street

Yeah, I wouldn't let this Tony fella(if that's his real name) put his grubby paws all over my million dollar custom Mac. What the hell does he know? /s
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Alright then. Let's get back to ignoring Tony Fadell.
  • Reply 10 of 17

Ballmer bought them for his kids.

• Reply 11 of 17
    So, while I am glad AppleInsider published this to correct their previous article, why wasn't this confirmed BEFORE the original article was posted? He was only a tweet away!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    djd214 wrote: »
    So, while I am glad AppleInsider published this to correct their previous article, why wasn't this confirmed BEFORE the original article was posted? He was only a tweet away!

That would be journalism. This site is just an ad server with clickbait. Powered by Huddler.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    ...material are fake!

What? Those items are fake? (see how easy it is to create a rumour)