Commercial DVD production

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A question I've had for a couple years is what program does Hollywood use to make the DVDs title pages before the movie starts that we buy in the store to play on our DVD players at home?

I'm sure it's not iDVD or compressor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

DVD Studio Pro before that was discontinued. I’m sure you could still find it, though.

• Reply 2 of 6
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member

If I could find it, how hard is it to learn to do and is it is as simple as iDVD

Nothing else out there?

• Reply 3 of 6

What is Hollywood using now if they're not using that program?

• Reply 4 of 6
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

If I could find it, how hard is it to learn to do and is it is as simple as iDVD

I figure eBay’ll have it; it was part of Final Cut Studio.

Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

What is Hollywood using now if they're not using that program?

Oh, I imagine Avid or someone has something else out now to fill the gap. Adobe Encore is one.

• Reply 5 of 6

I wish some of the pros who read this would answer this because there's millions of us out there who would like to know these answers.

I would assume that the Adobe encore is only workable to make DVDs/Blu-rays from Adobe product and not iMovie 9-10 or Final Cut Pro X right?

• Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    dmfett wrote: »
    I would assume that the Adobe encore is only workable to make DVDs/Blu-rays from Adobe product and not iMovie 9-10 or Final Cut Pro X right?

DVD authoring apps like Encore, DVD Studio Pro or whatever Roxio/Sonic offer will take in raw video output in compatible formats. It's quite good to encode in other apps because some authoring apps try to re-encode when they don't need to. If you use Apple's Compressor and output MPEG-2 streams (m2v with AC3 or AIFF audio), the authoring app just has to multiplex the streams when it authors the disc. You can probably do a VOB but having the audio separate is good in case the authoring app complains about the audio bitrate because you can just export the audio again very quickly.

You probably won't be able to patch iMovie into Compressor so you'd have to export the raw movie first, ideally as ProRes. Then get Compressor to turn that into MPEG-2.

If it's feasible, streaming should be the preferred option. There are providers that will do protected streaming, C-SPAN uses these guys:

http://www.wowza.com
    http://www.wowza.com/pricing/ec2-streaming

The tricky part is getting your source video to the server because uploading 4GB of video isn't always easy, especially if you make changes. It can be encoded smaller with H.264 though. You could get away with 720p encoded at 2-4Mbits so 90 minutes would be 1.5-3GB upload. It's at least a 3 hour upload on 1MBit upstream. You do save time not having to ship DVDs though and you get a bigger audience.