Apple CEO Tim Cook expresses need to protect 'principles of basic human dignity' in Auburn speech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tim Cook this week was awarded the Auburn University Lifetime Achievement award, and the Apple Chief Executive used his acceptance speech to push the importance of equality and human rights.

Cook

Cook's 13-minute speech was delivered last Tuesday in New York City, marking the 20th straight year that Auburn haas recognized "significant and lasting contributions to people's well-being." Apple's CEO earned a bachelor of science in industrial engineering from Auburn University in 1982, and the school's College of Human Sciences honored him at its annual International Quality of Life Awards.

Cook spoke of growing up in Alabama in the 1960s, where he saw firsthand the "devastating impacts of discrimination." He said those experiences helped to form who he is as a man today, and help guide his own fight for equality both at his company and throughout the larger world.

The CEO said he personally saw a cross burning as a young man --?an event that is "permanently imprinted" in his brain, and changed his life forever.

"I could never understand it, and I knew that Americans and Alabama's history would always be scarred by the hatred it represented," he said.

Cook's office at Apple features three photos: two of Robert Kennedy, and one of Martin Luther King Jr. Those two men "sacrificed everything, including their lives, as champions of human rights and human dignity," he told attendees at the event at the United Nations headquarters.

His speech also touched on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, a measure passed by the U.S. Senate but which has yet to appear before the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote. The proposed bill would bar discrimination of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender workers at American companies.

Cook said he believes that "now is the time to write these principles of basic human dignity into the book of law." Even though such protections are not yet part of U.S. law, Apple has worked to implement its own measures for employee equality.

On the lighter side in his speech, Cook even alluded to Auburn's upcoming appearance in the college football BCS National Championship game against Florida State University, joking that he may ask for an extra second at the end of his speech. In Auburn's recent pivotal matchup against the University of Alabama, an extra second was added to the clock and resulted in a play that led to Auburn's game winning touchdown. The remark drew big applause and cheers from the crowd.

"Yes, Auburn is still very much in me," Cook said with a laugh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Seriously, what is the problem with proof reading?
  • Reply 2 of 115
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Tim's such a cool guy.  Excellent speech.

The "extra 1 second" comment made me laugh out loud, too. :)

• Reply 3 of 115
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    aaronj wrote: »
    The "extra 1 second" comment made me laugh out loud, too. :)

I didn't get that, was it in reference to something?
  • Reply 4 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 5 of 115
    Does Andy Rubin and the rest of google know anything about human dignity? Do they even know how to spell them?!!!
  • Reply 6 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Solips posted the video, so no explanation really needed.

But I've been watching football -- especially college football -- for over 35 years, and that was one of, if not THE, most amazing wins I've ever seen.  And as you can imagine, both being in Alabama, Auburn and Alabama are sort of rivals. :)  Not to mention that this was basically a determination of who would play in the National Championship game.

So, yeah.  Kinda Huge. :)

• Reply 7 of 115
    disturbia wrote: »
    Does Andy Rubin and the rest of google know anything about human dignity? Do they even know how to spell them?!!!

I don't know where to start here. :)
  • Reply 8 of 115
    aaronj wrote: »
    Solips posted the video, so no explanation really needed.

But I've been watching football -- especially college football -- for over 35 years, and that was one of, if not THE, most amazing wins I've ever seen.  And as you can imagine, both being in Alabama, Auburn and Alabama are sort of rivals. :)  Not to mention that this was basically a determination of who would play in the National Championship game.

So, yeah.  Kinda Huge. :)

You don't have to be an Auburn, football, or even a sports fan to appreciate how incredible it was.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't have to be an Aurburn, football, or even a sports fan to appreciate how incredible it was.

True enough.  I can't argue with that.

• Reply 10 of 115
    Tim expressing his personal opinions is his business.

Apple as a company supporting a divisive political organization that is not related to their business seems questionable and does concern me as a shareholder.

• Reply 11 of 115

Apple as a company supporting a divisive political organization that is not related to their business seems questionable and does concern me as a shareholder.

http://www.americanprogress.org/about/our-supporters/

Where does politics end and civil rights begin? It seems to me Apple is supporting equality, not a specific party's political agenda.
  • Reply 12 of 115

Oh god.  Here we go again. :(

• Reply 13 of 115
    Quote:

Where do politics end and civil rights begin? It seems to me Apple is supporting equality, not a specific party's political agenda.

As I said, Tim is free as an individual to voice his personal support for any cause he wants. No question there.

However, Apple contributes to a far-left organization. They are publicly traded and for the first time the donor list was divulged. I plan on voicing my disapproval.
  • Reply 14 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Oh god.  Here we go again. :(

No, it’s different this time. :)

Quote:

Building on the achievements of progressive pioneers such as Teddy Roosevelt and Martin Luther King, our work addresses 21st-century challenges such as energy, national security, economic growth and opportunity, immigration, education, and health care. We develop new policy ideas, critique the policy that stems from conservative values, challenge the media to cover the issues that truly matter, and shape the national debate. Founded in 2003 by John Podesta to provide long-term leadership and support to the progressive movement, CAP is headed by Neera Tanden and based in Washington, D.C.

The CAP is pro-big government. I like most of what Apple is about, but their politics (even under Steve Jobs) have been misguided. Hell, the giant "progressive" government they think they want is also the one that wants to steal Apple's wealth and hamper their innovation!

• Reply 15 of 115
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Tim, that is not equality. You got it wrong.

• Reply 16 of 115
    Thank you Tim. I can't think of many more important issues than human dignity.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    As I said, Tim is free as an individual to voice his personal support for any cause he wants. No question there.

However, Apple contributes to a far-left organization. They are publicly traded and for the first time the donor list was divulged. I plan on voicing my disapproval.

Unfortunately there's not much one can do as every other tech company is just as bad. I see AT&T is on this list too. Sigh...
  • Reply 18 of 115
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

No, it’s different this time. :)

The CAP is pro-big government. I like most of what Apple is about, but their politics (even under Steve Jobs) have been misguided. Hell, the giant liberal government they want is also the one that wants to steal Apple's wealth and hamper their innovation!
    Boggles the mind doesn't it!
  • Reply 19 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Unfortunately there's not much one can do as every other tech company is just as bad. I see AT&T is on this list too. Sigh...

And I own stock in AT&T also. The only way to really influence companies is to own their stock. As voters, our voices are ignored.

• Reply 20 of 115
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I suspect there's something more specific you dislike about them rather than the "big government" catch all. I am somewhat curious about it in case you happen to write more later.

Quote:

Where does politics end and civil rights begin? It seems to me Apple is supporting equality, not a specific party's political agenda.

I am not really familiar with the organization. 501(c)3's come with some restrictions in terms of political activism. If you recall the issue with the IRS a while back, there were complaints regarding which ones were flagged for further review, or that they were flagged at all. Glancing through their site, they back specific causes. Someone will have to explain to me how that makes them divisive. Nothing really grabs me as being partisan nonsense. They don't seem to print attacks on various politicians, as that would be illegal given their filing structure. I stayed away from writing in absolutes, because that site has a huge number of articles. It's not like I can go through every one of them.