Apple releases OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks with focus on Mail

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released the latest maintenance update for OS X 10.9 Mavericks, with a number of changes and enhancements to email handling, as well as tweaks to VoiceOver and the Safari Web browser.

Mavericks Update

After months of beta testing, Apple has pushed out its Mavericks update to end users, which brings anticipated fixes for the operating system's Mail app and system-specific performance and stability enhancements. Apple seeded the first 10.9.1 beta to developers in November and released the last build on Dec. 3.

For its first Mavericks point update, Apple concentrates on fixing issues with Gmail, Smart Mailboxes and group name handling in the built-in Mail app. When OS X 10.9 Mavericks first launched, users complained that the new Mail app did not support a number of Gmail functions. Apple quickly issued a standalone patch for the problem.

Improvements were also made to Smart Mailboxes and Mail search, while an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly has been addressed.

Outside of Mail, OS X 10.9.1 brings a fix for VoiceOver that prevented the service from speaking sentences containing emoji characters, resolves an issue that prevented iLife and iWork apps from updating on non-English systems and a bug that would cause multiple prompts to unlock the "Local items" keychain.

Finally, the release includes Safari 7.0.1, which brings fixes for filling out text fields and adds periodic updating to the Shared Links sidebar.

Full release notes:
The OS X Mavericks v10.9.1 Update is recommended for all OS X Mavericks users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

This update includes:
  • Improved support for Gmail in OS X Mail, and fixes for users with custom Gmail settings Improves the reliability of Smart Mailboxes and search in Mail
  • Fixes an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly in Mail
  • Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from speaking sentences that contain emoji
  • Fixes an issue that prevented iLife and iWork apps from updating on non-English systems
  • Addresses an issue that may cause multiple prompts to unlock "Local items" keychain
  • Addresses an issue that may cause Japanese keyboards to retain a previously used language
  • Resolves issue that prevents a Contact group name from populating the address field
  • Includes Safari 7.0.1
    • Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to become unresponsive when filling out forms on fedex.com, stubhub.com, and other websites Improves Credit Card
    • Autofill compatibility with websites
    • Improves VoiceOver compatibility with facebook.com
Updates Shared Links periodically when open in the Safari Sidebar
Apple's latest OS X 10.9.1 can be downloaded via Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads webpage. In addition to the general OS X 10.9.1 release, Apple has also issued a system-specific version for the late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Now that's what I want for Christmas, not the 12 days of iTunes freebies.

• Reply 2 of 59

iBooks had better darn well be fixed. Can't reset the application, can't add any more new books, can't delete the books that I have there, DOES NOT ACTUALLY DELETE PDFS WHEN I SAY TO DELETE THEM… It's completely and utterly broken now.

And what's with it turning my ePub files from single files to useless, broken folders?! I can't even sync my iPad anymore because nothing else can recognize those files.

Written in TextEdit.

• Reply 3 of 59

Yes! And I also wait for FCPX and Aperture. MacPro too expensive for me, just bought an iMac.

• Reply 4 of 59
    Mail still doesn't add a group contact correctly. I still have to go to the Contacts app to add it and that is still too difficult. Simple thing like this seems difficult to fix.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Written in TextEdit.

So far it looks like you won't have to do that with Safari 7.0.1 in Mavericks 10.9.1.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iBooks had better darn well be fixed. Can't reset the application, can't add any more new books, can't delete the books that I have there, DOES NOT ACTUALLY DELETE PDFS WHEN I SAY TO DELETE THEM… It's completely and utterly broken now.

And what's with it turning my ePub files from single files to useless, broken folders?! I can't even sync my iPad anymore because nothing else can recognize those files.

Just updated. 

NOPE.

Now I have to try to remember what books I had and download them all again individually. They didn’t even add metadata editing in the right-click menu. 

• Reply 7 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Safari is crashing like crazy for me on 10.9

• Reply 8 of 59

You can dictate emoji?

• Reply 9 of 59
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    It's 5:21pm here on the east coast and no update is available.

The bug fix that I want is for the Finder to stop switching to my 1st space when I quit an app in the 2nd space (even if I just ran that app from my 2nd space)
  • Reply 10 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You can dictate emoji?

Yes and no. First off, the update fixes Emoji being read back to you, not you dictating Emoji to it. However, while not technically Emoji you can use dictation in OS X to have some emoticons written for you. I know you can dictate smiley face and winkyface but besides that I haven't given it much of a run-through. If you can dictate Emoji proper and have it be represented by the proper Unicode character it's news to me.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

It's 5:21pm here on the east coast and no update is available.

The bug fix that I want is for the Finder to stop switching to my 1st space when I quit an app in the 2nd space (even if I just ran that app from my 2nd space)

Nothing is mentioned about this in the update notes. Not a word about Spaces fixes or improvements.

• Reply 12 of 59
    Installation bug? The 10.9.1 downloaded and then restarted then installed. Sounds good, right?!

But, it downloaded, restarted and installed without administrator permission! I was logged in as a normal user. Normal users must not have the ability to install operating system software. When it restarted, it restarted as me--the regular user that had been logged in before. At no point did the process ask for the administrator login and password.

Security breach!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Installation bug? The 10.9.1 downloaded and then restarted then installed. Sounds good, right?!

But, it downloaded, restarted and installed without administrator permission! I was logged in as a normal user. Normal users must not have the ability to install operating system software. When it restarted, it restarted as me--the regular user that had been logged in before. At no point did the process ask for the administrator login and password.

Security breach!!!!!

There's an opt-in auto-uptdate question during the installation. The admin for the machine seems to have selected "Yes".  That's editable under "System Preferences...App Store... Automatically check for updates, etc."

• Reply 14 of 59
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nothing is mentioned about this in the update notes. Not a word about Spaces fixes or improvements.

But you have to know that the update notes are — and pretty much always have been — an unreliable guide to all the fixes. Some things get fixed silently. I'm not saying that these things are, but I have learned to pay little attention to what Apple says they are fixing and put more trust in the people on boards like this — who will report on whether their favourite issue is still an issue.

• Reply 15 of 59

The FedEX.com issue is fixed for me. Very happy about that.

• Reply 16 of 59
    It's over for Apple. I am an analyst and am downgrading Apple stock to junk status after the details of this Mavericks update was released. If all we can get in a x.1 release is a Mail update and some VoiceOver patches, then that means Apple can't innovate anymore. I expect a home run each and every time, even for a x.x.1 release.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

But, it downloaded, restarted and installed without administrator permission! I was logged in as a normal user. Normal users must not have the ability to install operating system software.

Security breach!!!!!

As far as I know Windows has the exact same behavior. You don't even need to be logged in to install automatic updates, you hit reboot and install updates at the login screen and it does its thing as part of the reboot process.

• Reply 18 of 59
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It's over for Apple. I am an analyst and am downgrading Apple stock to junk status after the details of this Mavericks update was released. If all we can get in a x.1 release is a Mail update and some VoiceOver patches, then that means Apple can't innovate anymore. I expect a home run each and every time, even for a x.x.1 release.

Yeah, right.  Now go upstairs to mom and have dinner.

• Reply 19 of 59
    aaronj wrote: »
    Yeah, right.  Now go upstairs to mom and have dinner.
    Pretty sure it was sarcasm.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    I'd like to have AirTunes back on my 1stG appleTV. Worked for years, and then suddenly gone. Weirdly, Apple Support folks respond like it never existed. Odd, even considering that today is Emmanuel Goldstein's birthday.