Apple's 64-bit A7 SoC 'set off panic' for chipmakers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Gullible dumbfks!

As if a bunch out-of-touch, overweight, middle aged white guys could invent anything.

These days are long gone, USians!

While Google uses standards essential patents (as well as Cayman Island bank accounts) against both Apple and Microsoft, it was Apple (a US company with white guys and gals and people of all colors) beat everyone else to the ArmV8 implementation and delivery.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by appleisshit View Post

iSheep will continue to buy iCrap...

Crapple will continue to avoid taxes...

Crapple will continue to "compete" via lawsuits...

Umh...Apple's paid all its taxes it is required to pay. Nice try though.....

• Reply 23 of 145
    Wuahaha. Apple produces still cutting edge stuff.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Yeah baby! Who's yo daddy now?! image

It isn't you.

• Reply 25 of 145
    Fandroids will continue to spout nonsensical bulls#!t
    Samsung will continue it throw s#!t at the really
    Samsung will continue to rely on Apple for their ideas
  • Reply 26 of 145
    ""Apple kicked everybody in the balls with this," the Qualcomm employee said."

Haha, I love it!
  • Reply 27 of 145
    Definitely, the big news with the iPhone 5s was Apple begin first to have a product with a 64-bit ARM in it
    - especially when you consider how long nVidia has been working on their Project Denver
    - a really impressive achievement

What pisses me off though, is how Apple haven't got a 5" screen iPhone yet...
    - personally, I am loath to upgrade my aging iPhone 3GS to a 5s with the 4" screen
    - my aging eyes really need a bigger screen...

Anyway, that's a different argument, but, yes, I agree that the announcement of the 64-bit ARM was the big news for me at the iPhone 5s launch
    - almost makes we want to get the 5s!
  • Reply 28 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I would say that after the revelations in the 2010 court case of possible leaks between various divisions of Samsung, that behind the scenes Apple came down hard on Samsung and tightened security significantly.

There were probably very few people outside Apple who knew what the chips were capable of.

This was while Apple was publicly looking for new chip foundries to supply them with chips.

Samsung aren't stupid, Apple is a major customer, they would bend over backwards to keep them.

Why would a highly-centralized company who couldn't care less about its largest customer's patents, all of sudden, find itself so worried about separation between different divisions?  (note the key word "highly-centralized").  

why do you want to believe so badly that Apple's move was a surprise or that Apple did something that was technically impossible, difficult or innovative?

No. you are absolutely right, Samsung isn't stupid -- of course, they knew Apple was working on the 64bit A7.  Duh!

• Reply 29 of 145
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    hill60 wrote: »
    ...and u will still be missing from the gullible dumbfcks I suppose.
    I already flagged him. Stop responding to his garbage.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by appleisshit View Post

If you wanted a hug you could have just asked.

• Reply 31 of 145

I suppose this is sort of a reply to the "iSheep buy iCrap" comment, but it's a meaningful summary of the apple experience.

We bought the $99 airport express last night.  Our old-timer Linksys WRT54G (missing a letter in there I think), has just about had it.

The little airport express is in a tiny box of course, with a great little cardboard thing providing a little "Voila!" experience (remember W. Mossberg saying that Steve showed him early-release products sometimes and even when it was just-him there was a little cloth over the product, so Steve could "Voila" him?).

The little thing is like JEWELRY.  It's like a physical app-icon you can hold in your hand.  It's glossy plastic around the rim (with peel plastic to 'reveal' it as-such).  The top is matte, with an apple logo.  The bottom is slightly beige, with another logo, "swollen out" a smidge (circular), so it sits "up" a bit when you set it down.

The power cord is great.  Perfectly coiled in the box.  Quality materials in your hand.  For the Cord!  The plug is tiny.  No big-ass power brick like some crap from HP.

It's impossibly small for what it does (wireless printing, audio-out).  And of course it just works, is easy to set up, provides better signal, etc etc.

It's COMPLETELY SOLID.  It's like the little thing was poured like the plastic in the iPhone 5C commercials.

It's "just" a little router,  yet fully and completely encapsulates the Apple experience.

My buddy with me in the Apple store said, "$100!?!?!" in protest.

We say here that people don't "get" the Apple experience, but deep down everyone does.  We all have our high end temptations, and we all have our low-cost-temptations.

I buy Apple products due to the high end experience, but can't resist cheap wine ("hey this is $8!").

Where the REAL problem lies is people's failure to see the Apple is the best of both worlds.  High end AND a good value.

I don't have any illusions about my $8 wine, but people have reverse-illusions about Apple.

So be it.

• Reply 32 of 145
    "Can someone please explain how it was a big surprise when your number one competition is the person that is manufacturing it for you."

Without knowing exactly the complicated relationship between Apple, Samsung and ARM there's no way to be sure, BUT if we assume they knew why then act so surprised?! Why not even push it hard to beat Apple to the launch (as they tried with the watch thing)? Why all this charade ?
  • Reply 33 of 145
    Let's not forget supporting 64-bit is still a work in progress for Apple as iOS 7 still has memory management issues with the 64-bit platform.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review/9

Transitioning to 64-bit architecture is more than just designing a new CPU.
  • Reply 34 of 145
    In a previous response a few months ago someone stated something like, "Apple was testing 64-bit manufacturing with Samsung then out of the blue told Samsung to mass produce the 64 bit chip.

That would have been me. I'm sure Apple has more than a few designs going at any given time that it asks Samsung to build in sample quantities. I'm sure Samsung knew about the A7 being 64bit but they were caught off guard by the fact Apple planned to use it so soon.

All Samsung would know about is the processor itself. They had no access to iOS 7 and didn't realize Apple completely re-wrote it for 64bit. That would have tipped Apple's plans to actually release the A7.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That would have been me. I'm sure Apple has more than a few designs going at any given time that it asks Samsung to build in sample quantities. I'm sure Samsung knew about the A7 being 64bit but they were caught off guard by the fact Apple planned to use it so soon.

All Samsung would know about is the processor itself. They had no access to iOS 7 and didn't realize Apple completely re-wrote it for 64bit. That would have tipped Apple's plans to actually release the A7.

When you ask a company to fan a chip do they know what the chip does? I'd think it would be Apple's engineers that do most of the setup and testing with Samsung just making and stamping the wafers to Apple's specifications.
  • Reply 36 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Definitely, the big news with the iPhone 5s was Apple begin first to have a product with a 64-bit ARM in it

- especially when you consider how long nVidia has been working on their Project Denver

- a really impressive achievement

What pisses me off though, is how Apple haven't got a 5" screen iPhone yet...

- personally, I am loath to upgrade my aging iPhone 3GS to a 5s with the 4" screen

- my aging eyes really need a bigger screen...

Anyway, that's a different argument, but, yes, I agree that the announcement of the 64-bit ARM was the big news for me at the iPhone 5s launch

- almost makes we want to get the 5s!

Have you ever seen the 5 inch Dell Streak phablet? There is a limit for how big a mobile phone could be before losing it's mobility usefulness, I'll be embarrassed to use one of those overgrown size phone in public, I don't want to show off my phone in public, I wanted it has discreet as possible.

• Reply 37 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgwychu View Post

Let's not forget supporting 64-bit is still a work in progress for Apple as iOS 7 still has memory management issues with the 64-bit platform.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review/9

Transitioning to 64-bit architecture is more than just designing a new CPU.

True transitioning to a 64bit architecture is more than merely designing a new CPU, you need to recompiled all software for tapping every benefits a new platform has to offer,  just like Apple already done it with iOS and OSX way before.  Beside, which memory management issues are you talking about?  Like saying Android still got battery draining issues, Apple and iOS is not liable for badly coded third party apps.

• Reply 38 of 145
    Ah, so the talking points are now that the A7 is not "true 64-bit." Clever. Apple never wins.
  • Reply 39 of 145

"Although things seem to have improved with iOS 7.0.3, the 64-bit builds of the OS still seem to run into stability issues more frequently than their 32-bit counterparts. I still see low memory errors associated with any crashes. It could just be that the move to 64-bit applications (and associated memory pressure) is putting more stress on iOS’ memory management routines, which in turn exposes some weaknesses. The iPad Air crashed a couple of times on me (3 times total during the past week), but no where near as much as earlier devices running iOS 7.0.1."

If you bothered to read the link I provided, you would know what I'm talking about. Above is the quote from the link I posted. Many others on Apple's forum and I have similar issues with iOS 7. If it is an issue caused by third party app, then I would have this same issue with iOS 6 installed on my old iPad, which is not the case. Unfortunately, my new iPad Air crashes at least every other day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Quote:

True transitioning to a 64bit architecture is more than merely designing a new CPU, you need to recompiled all software for tapping every benefits a new platform has to offer,  just like Apple already done it with iOS and OSX way before.  Beside, which memory management issues are you talking about?  Like saying Android still got battery draining issues, Apple and iOS is not liable for badly coded third party apps.

• Reply 40 of 145
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I disagree a bit with the notion Samsung did not know. I mean, "Build me 1000 samples of this" is way different than, "Build me 10,000,000" of these...