Apple patents 'desk-free' computer with intelligent, laser-powered projector and wireless charging

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Sounds like Iprojector coming soon.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    How on earth is this patentable?
    It's basically just a computer and projector combined. And those graphics look like they were drawn by a seven year old. Just embarrassing.
    The patent system as it stands now is just out of control... How on earth is this system helping anyone except lawyers? What a joke.
    In academia, one needs to make a significant new and original contribution to their field in order to pass the dissertation or get published in an A grade journal...
    I love Apple, but I'm sorry combining a computer and projector is just a joke. It's embarrassing. This system is out of control...
  • Reply 23 of 33

AussiePaul have you ever submitted a patient? I don't think so until you do and understand that this is the type of pictures required please leave your small minded opinion to yourself.

• Reply 24 of 33

brutus, the nice thing about laser projection is that there is no need to focus. The image is always in focus, even on an irregular surface. That's probably why Apple chose laser projection for this patent. I suggest that you take a look at Microvision's website at http://www.microvision.com/ for an explanation.

• Reply 25 of 33
    Ok point noted on the illustration being required to be so lacking in detail that they might as well be drawn by by a 7 year old on an etch-a-sketch. Please address the general ethos of my post and I'm sorry if I upset you with my jokes about the graphics. Really, a projector with a few sensors, c'mon if that's what passes for a patent then the system is completely broken...
    The point in my post is that there should be a higher level of sophistication, insight and novelty required, and a more rigorous academic approach. That's my idea, if you have a better one then let me know...
    This "patent" doesn't even pass as a low grade honours project...
  • Reply 26 of 33
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    This sounds like a perfect Apple product because of how nice and impossible it seems.

Last month I was in an electronics store asking if such a device existed because I thought that would make for a great tv. For some reason, projected tv is easy on the eyes and when it is off, you don't have this huge ugly black square in your house.

The man said no, impossible, many people ask for it but it requires a lot of energy, color balance is like hell, depends a lot on local light conditions etc etc.

So this is basically the same situation as it was with smartphones about 10 years ago. I had a Palm Treo and noticed that I used it with my finger instead of the stylus, which actually went very well even if a lot of precision was required. I wished the screen could be bigger and the interface totally optimised for finger use, but I was sure that this would not be feasible.

It was amazing how Apple proved me wrong.

I just hope that this is the beginning of another great tech story. I could definitely imagine why such a device takes them years and years to develop.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

This strikes me as something that would be very difficult to perfect. I mean, every projector I've ever used has always been a pain in the arse. You have to wiggle, adjust, prop, and configure the box to no end and still have to "settle" with a merely acceptable picture quality.

If anyone can do it, I trust Apple will, but I won't be buying the 1.0 version...

Nobody has invested in DOING IT RIGHT. If you consider that Apple has invested in people and environment scanning in the 3D realm (recent purchase of the company behind Kinect), and their interest in getting rid of TV remotes -- it stands to reason that when you even have cell phones with some ability to locate positions of objects, then most of the solution can be done in software.

Such a device could have a camera and censors determine how to skew the image to always present a flat/square view -- you probably won't even have to angle the unit correctly to do it.

Current projectors can have a feature called "Keystoning" -- where you adjust corners to allow an image to be distorted so that it can appear correctly from an angle. There's no reason with current tech that process can't be automated and done better.

>> So based on prior experience with Apple, I figure they won't do it until they've mastered "projecting" images the RIGHT way -- which nobody has yet done. The world was not ready for Microsoft Tablets, but it was ready for the iPad.

• Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

This sounds like a perfect Apple product because of how nice and impossible it seems.

Last month I was in an electronics store asking if such a device existed because I thought that would make for a great tv. For some reason, projected tv is easy on the eyes and when it is off, you don't have this huge ugly black square in your house.

The man said no, impossible, many people ask for it but it requires a lot of energy, color balance is like hell, depends a lot on local light conditions etc etc.

So this is basically the same situation as it was with smartphones about 10 years ago. I had a Palm Treo and noticed that I used it with my finger instead of the stylus, which actually went very well even if a lot of precision was required. I wished the screen could be bigger and the interface totally optimised for finger use, but I was sure that this would not be feasible.

It was amazing how Apple proved me wrong.

I just hope that this is the beginning of another great tech story. I could definitely imagine why such a device takes them years and years to develop.

The magic currently being done with smart phones and cameras to make photos look better has already solved many of these issues -- it only requires someone to IMPLEMENT this technology, to adjust the colors being projected in a room. There's no reason about $10 in parts cannot be added to provide a camera in this device -- it's all about investing in making it all happen and enough testing to make it idiot proof.

• Reply 29 of 33
    Apple loves making fixed physical interfaces obsolete :) Replace the keypad with a dynamic touchscreen as input. Now replace the visual output screen with a more portable and dynamic laser output.
    Add to this, the physical sensors Apple already leverages, and you'd have a device that could do a fairly decent job of altering the image to be level and in focus relative to the wall it's pointing at.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    obxjim wrote: »
    Sony has shown this type of device at CES:

[URL=http://bgr.com/2014/01/08/sony-4k-television-projector/[/URL]

That's how I could see Apple delivering a TV. Small and compact and yet can be any range of display sizes to fit nearly any home. Right now the type and sizes for physical displays are so diverse I just can't see how it fits in with Apple's modus operandi.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    WTF!! How much?? And does the second version will have movement detection????

Just have a look to this OPEN SOURCE project..!

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html

I'm quite sure that Apple's engineer have seen this video...!