Apple's holiday iPhone ad focuses on family, tugs at heartstrings [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I'll need examples to justify portrait video.

IPhones make good cameras for close-up stereo (3D) video, because of the position of the lens. You can get two lenses very close together, meaning that you can get about 3 inches from the subject and still get good 3D.

Each camera would be in portrait mode to give you two squarish images side by side, roughly the same aspect as a Victorian stereocard. Ideal for the iPad mini in landscape.

And Phil gives another use case above. Never disable features out of discipline toward abusers, would be my take.

Edit: Gruber says let us not "niggle" about this today.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    I died a little inside when I came across the word selfie in the article.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Dang. That's powerful. If you're stuck on the way he's holding the phone, then you don't get it.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jpellino wrote: »
    Dang. That's powerful. If you're stuck on the way he's holding the phone, then you don't get it.

Pedants gonna ped.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Ah good, an ad showing how everyone should be caught up in their personal devices and not interact with anyone else.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Originally Posted by weekilter View Post

Ah good, an ad showing how everyone should be caught up in their personal devices and not interact with anyone else.

Ah good, another troll account.

• Reply 47 of 53
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah good, another troll account.

For every joy, there is an equal and opposite kill joy - Newton's third law of the physics of joy.

• Reply 48 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think they should disable it. A simple warning could be better.

Some musicians have the videoscreens put up in portrait mode because it is the artist they want to see from hair to feet:

Thing is, it wouldn't be preventing you from making a portrait video, all it's doing is showing you a center crop of a widescreen recording and still lets you film people from head to toe. Ultimately when you go to publish online or show on a widescreen display, that data outside of your framed view is just filled in rather than black (you'd have the option to see it all via pinch-zoom when shooting or by rotating, assuming it maintains the upright position). If you chose to eliminate it, it's a case of just cropping it out. As a composition, both views should be ok because your subject is central.

Although the framed part would be lower resolution than the sensor recording in portrait, in most cases there are no displays in portrait so that's going to happen on playback anyway.

The live concert view is a noted exception though. Here is a video of a concert's backing videos split over multiple vertical displays and the full length definitely helps (a little nsfw):

but you can see that the vimeo video you're watching it on has to be wide and you are seeing the full body height crop anyway, just everything to the sides too.
    flaneur wrote:
    Gruber says let us not "niggle" about this today.

:D Yeah I know (although I'm pretty sure niggling is ok up until Christmas Eve). I just want to help more emo-kids across the world shoot better video. When their families see the poor job they make because they forgot to hold it sideways, they might not be treated so kindly. ;)

angry dad: you interrupted the family to show us this messed up video. Why would you even use 'when the bodies hit the floor' for an audio track when your little sister is right there?
    mum: leave him alone Derek.
    angry dad: y'know if you didn't sulk in the corner all day, maybe you'd learn how to use that thing.
    tearful emo-kid: I hate you all!
    angry dad: that's it Mary, get my socks, I'm going to give this kid such a sock-beating.

If everyone's videos came out stable and framed like a professional camera without any possibility of error, every family can experience the Christmas joy.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weekilter View Post

Until you get to the end,  where you should realize your misconception...

Would you rather Apple change their understated selling points to the ones in Nokia's latest Windows tablet ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xVrI-tUIQ

I thought not...

• Reply 50 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Until you get to the end,  where you should realize your misconception...

Would you rather Apple change their understated selling points to the ones in Nokia's latest Windows tablet ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xVrI-tUIQ

I thought not...

W

T

F

????????????????????????????????

• Reply 51 of 53

Who is the artist/pianist in the beginning of the commercial? Specifically, the solo piano heard when the ad starts, just as the guy is filming the scenes. This is before the "home video" is featured with the sung version by Cat Power. Shazam always results in Cat Power. There are two versions, but I am interested only in the first.

• Reply 52 of 53

Who is the artist/pianist in the beginning of the commercial? Specifically, the solo piano heard when the ad starts, just as the guy is filming the scenes. This is before the "home video" is featured with the sung version by Cat Power. Shazam always results in Cat Power. There are two versions, but I am interested only in the first.