How do I preserve transitions for exported iPhoto slideshow?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I saved my iPhoto 2 slideshow to a movie and posted it on my iDisk but its a little larger for some so I tried to recompress it but the cross fades dissapear and the other 3 video tracks as well (not sure what they do)

how do i preserve them and what would you recommend settings wise to make this about 4-5 MB down from 10.8?

slideshow btw:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/dhand/vday.mov"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/dhand/vday.mov</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    When you export the slideshow in iPhoto it uses Quicktime's built in transitions to make the file smaller. Quicktime renders the transitions on the fly when the movie plays, but for some reason not when it exports. As far as I know there isn't a way to make Quicktime do that. Try importing it into iMovie and try it there there. The worst case scenerio is that you'll have to manually add the transitions.

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: Ringo ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ringo:

<strong>When you export the slideshow in iPhoto it uses Quicktime's built in transitions to make the file smaller. Quicktime renders the transitions on the fly when the movie plays, but for some reason not when it exports. As far as I know there isn't a way to make Quicktime do that. Try importing it into iMovie and try it there there. The worst case scenerio is that you'll have to manually add the transitions.

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: Ringo ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

uhg... that would suck..... sigh

i hate iPhoto slideshow..... as most are aware
  • Reply 3 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Have you tried using iMovie instead? You've got lots of options for transitions there. :confused: It may do ok for you...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Have you tried using iMovie instead? You've got lots of options for transitions there. :confused: It may do ok for you...</strong><hr></blockquote>

so much work.... i mean, this came out perfectly fine for me...for once the music even matches and fits the length without much hassle

and ive had problems importing photos into imovie 3.... i dont want the ken burns effect... i just want stationary photos with cross fades and its difficult to do that with the new imovie and for some reason once i load several photos imovie 3 freaks out and becomes unusable on my computer;..too slow :-(
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    That's not what I meant.

You should import the movie exported by iPhoto into iMove. It may even pick up on the transitions (though I doubt it).
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Ringo:

<strong>That's not what I meant.

You should import the movie exported by iPhoto into iMove. It may even pick up on the transitions (though I doubt it).</strong><hr></blockquote>

didnt work

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The effects are in OpenGL, not Qt as i recall. That's why the QT export from iPhoto won't preserve the effects.

This is exactly what the iPhoto import feature in iMovie is for. If you don't want the Ken Burns effect, you can set the start and finish zoom and pan to 1.00 and drag the clip to the timeline. You can also import a still through the iMovie "Import..." command in the File menu. The time defaults to 5 seconds but you can double-click on the clip to edit that and its name. There's also a hidden preference in iMovie's preference file to toggle whether it adds the Ken Burns effect to each image automatically. Under &lt;key&gt;Option autoApplyPanZoomToImportedStills: %d

&lt;/key&gt;, change &lt;true/&gt; to &lt;false/&gt; and it should leave still images alone until you apply the Ken Burns effect.

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>The effects are in OpenGL, not Qt as i recall. That's why the QT export from iPhoto won't preserve the effects.

This is exactly what the iPhoto import feature in iMovie is for. If you don't want the Ken Burns effect, you can set the start and finish zoom and pan to 1.00 and drag the clip to the timeline. You can also import a still through the iMovie "Import..." command in the File menu. The time defaults to 5 seconds but you can double-click on the clip to edit that and its name. There's also a hidden preference in iMovie's preference file to toggle whether it adds the Ken Burns effect to each image automatically. Under &lt;key&gt;Option autoApplyPanZoomToImportedStills: %d

&lt;/key&gt;, change &lt;true/&gt; to &lt;false/&gt; and it should leave still images alone until you apply the Ken Burns effect.

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

hmmm.... but when u open the iphoto exported quicktime movie the movie contains "quicktime" transitions.... surely there must be a way to carry these into another exported movie....ugh.... apple can be so confusing at times...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yes, and considering they can convert the OpenGL transitions to Quicktime movies in Keynote, it's certainly not out of the question. Now, I would point out that Keynote was developed concurrently with iPhoto, and it's harder to bring that technology to different apps like that when it's hard enough getting it right in one place. But hopefully now that they have it down in one place, they can bring it to other apps.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    applenut:

I have the exact same problem you are having. I created (yeah, one click) a slideshow in iPhoto with music and dissolves, and it plays awesome on any Mac under OS X / QT player. But no luck in iMovie or under 9. I then realized the transitions in iPhoto are OpenGL based. Since this is a product presentation that I would like to send out to potential customers who probably have PCs and no OS X, I think the only way is to create the transitions (one by one) in iMovie and then export it to VCD or somwthing that would play under Windows, etc...

But, if you or anyone else around here finds another solution, please do tell!

:cool:
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Bill M:

<strong>applenut:

I have the exact same problem you are having. I created (yeah, one click) a slideshow in iPhoto with music and dissolves, and it plays awesome on any Mac under OS X / QT player. But no luck in iMovie or under 9. I then realized the transitions in iPhoto are OpenGL based. Since this is a product presentation that I would like to send out to potential customers who probably have PCs and no OS X, I think the only way is to create the transitions (one by one) in iMovie and then export it to VCD or somwthing that would play under Windows, etc...

But, if you or anyone else around here finds another solution, please do tell!

:cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

im not sure.... several of my friends viewed th slideshow and I believe QT for Windows showed the transitions.... so, its not Open GL if it works on Windows QT I would think..... hmmmm

gotta figure this one out... cuzits pissing me off