Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

Comments

• Reply 81 of 297
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Any chance of having new Apple displays announced tomorrow as well?

Normally I'd say anything is possible, but after adding that Sharp panel to the Store the other day I think this is wishful thinking. Sure would hope they'd release their own: I love large screens (I use the 30" ACD) and when not in use they have a prominent place in homes. But only Apple makes their monitors nice looking.
  • Reply 82 of 297

You have flying squirrels attaching your chimney? Cool, I only get pidgeons, have to get myself an upgrade!

• Reply 83 of 297
    When will they be in the stores? I want to see one.
  • Reply 84 of 297
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

And where's the Haswell Mini?

Heh, you're assuming there will be one...

• Reply 85 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That might have been clever and/or funny last June. Now it's just annoying.

No, no, it's still pretty funny.

• Reply 86 of 297
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    alienzed wrote: »
    Why no fusion drive? 1TB is way too little. I'm not complaining, but this really marks the end of the expandable Mac.

Yeah except for the petabytes of directly attached storage it can easily support, what will we do.

Edit: To answer your first question, look at the picture of the inside on the apple site and then tell us where you would put the 3.5" drive.
  • Reply 87 of 297

Did I read that correctly...9.9" tall???

This thing is going to be a hair taller than an iPad?  Unbelievable.

• Reply 88 of 297

"Fusion Drive" is just a name used by Apple's marketing team, it just refers to hybrid drives that include SSD for caching HDD data. The connector can be whatever the manufacturers design it to be, it is in no way limited to SATA. I only used the term Fusion, because that's what Apple calls it.

Either you don't know what you are talking about, or you think that I don't know what I'm talking about, either way your assertions are incomplete at best and flat out wrong otherwise.

Lastly, an "expandable" machine is most commonly used to denote a computer who's internal components can be swapped/upgraded. An external device is almost never considered an expansion, but more of an add-on. If you consider external devices to be expansions, then you can expand your iPod by buying a second iPod.

Anybody who know the technical details of how computers are designed and built will see right through your claims.

I'm not trolling though so why be so defensive? I just miss the days where pro users had the ability to modify their own pro machines.

I don't 'want' a hackintosh but that's the only option in some cases now, pun intended.

• Reply 89 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Yeah except for the petabytes of directly attached storage it can easily support, what will we do.

Edit: To answer your first question, look at the picture of the inside on the apple site and then tell us where you would put the 3.5" drive.

"Directly attached storage", that's a nice way to say external hard drive...

I'll let an image make my point for me:

• Reply 90 of 297
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

"Directly attached storage", that's a nice way to say external hard drive...

I'll let an image make my point for me:

One 5 bay Thunderbolt enclosure doesn't add that much mess.  There's no reason they spec'd out individual enclosures for every damn thing in that picture.

• Reply 91 of 297
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    creep wrote: »
    Did I read that correctly...9.9" tall???

This thing is going to be a hair taller than an iPad?  Unbelievable.

You read it incorrectly. It's going to be 9.9' tall, and renamed Door Mac; code named Round Tower.
  • Reply 92 of 297
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Hyperbole is one thing but that pic simply isn't close to being reasonable.

Why would you have a DVD drive and Blu-ray drive and feel the need for the new Mac Pro?
    Why would you consider buying a Mac Pro when you have all this old gear?
    Why doesn't the old Mac Pro show any cables at all?
    Why would you have all those cable coiled up on the desk next to the new Mac Pro?

People made the same silly argument with notebook v. desktops and notebooks v. tablets yet people flock to notebooks and tablets, respectively, for what they can do, not because they can't do something they aren't suppose to do.
  • Reply 93 of 297
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    iw16w8sh0v wrote: »
    How quick do we see a new monitor get released? You would think TB2 and a slim down would be in order not to mention a 4k option.

Apple might be waiting for panel prices to drop.
  • Reply 94 of 297
    They were wonderius beasts indeed. Remember the fun writing postscript manually to make crazy images? :D

PostScript used to be easy. Then they messed it up by adding all those extra features in 2 and 3.
  • Reply 95 of 297
    We Apple Centre owners loved people like you. :D

I'm so relieved to hear that. It made it all worthwhile. I still have the thing in my attic.
  • Reply 96 of 297
    My first reaction was: where is he going to get a minicomputer?

Ha!

Then I remembered a talk by Guy Kawasaki where he described the dilemma facing a customer choosing between a microcomputer and a minicomputer.. He said the guy just sat there -- in one hand was his Apple and in the other hand was his Wang.

I'm not sure if I should reprimand or congratulate you for that statement. ???
  • Reply 97 of 297

That picture makes me laugh.

I've seen existing Mac Pros with just as many external devices. Go to any production house... cables everywhere... already.

Plus... external devices are sometimes preferable because you can easily use them with multiple machines... especially laptops.

I find it hilarious that they included audio/video interfaces in that image. Those thing are external. You want to be able to access them easily.

How would you put this inside a Mac Pro?

• Reply 98 of 297
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I find it hilarious that they included audio/video interfaces in that image. Those thing are external. You want to be able to access them easily.

Is that what that is? It's even more ridiculous knowing that.
  • Reply 99 of 297
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

One 5 bay Thunderbolt enclosure doesn't add that much mess.  There's no reason they spec'd out individual enclosures for every damn thing in that picture.

And... how much does a decent 5 bay thunderbolt enclosure cost? 599$ used? I am looking at the Drobo 5D myself... looks pretty sweet, but for a pro machine one must ask why we need to purchase Hard drive enclosures at all, computers used to be all the hard drive enclosures you need.

My only point was that Apple decided to consumerize a Pro machine by making it 'smaller' and 'sleeker'. Don't get me wrong, it's hot! But someone who needs that much power, and can afford the price tag, will typically expect to not have to buy another 1000$ device just for storage, Hard drives NOT included. Am I completely wrong?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hyperbole is one thing but that pic simply isn't close to being reasonable.

Why would you have a DVD drive and Blu-ray drive and feel the need for the new Mac Pro?

Why would you consider buying a Mac Pro when you have all this old gear?

Why doesn't the old Mac Pro show any cables at all?

Why would you have all those cable coiled up on the desk next to the new Mac Pro?

People made the same silly argument with notebook v. desktops and notebooks v. tablets yet people flock to notebooks and tablets, respectively, for what they can do, not because they can't do something they aren't suppose to do.

-To explain the picture a little bit more, it tries to show two equivalent systems, one using the old Mac Pro as a base and the other a new. The old Mac pro had a DVD drive, as well as an expansion bay that you could add a second one (bluray, whatever) two. Without which these would not be equivalent. I agree though, for the most part physical media like CDs and DVDs are dead.

-Why would they buy a new mac pro if they had all that equipment? Ummm... to upgrade? But that's not the point of this image, it is just comparing equivalently 'expanded' systems in terms of capability, not specs.

-Why doesn't the old mac pro show any cables? Because all that stuff is INSIDE of it. You don't see the power cable behind the new one either, this comparison seems perfectly fair to me.

-"Why would you have all those cable coiled up on the desk next to the new Mac Pro?" On the desk, under the desk, whatever, you need cables to plug all that stuff in. Remember the original bondi blue iMac commercial where they who making fun of PC's because of how many cables you needed? yeah....

Finally, tablets vs laptops vs desktops... Consumers are snapping up tablets and laptops, professionals need powerful machines that can be upgraded and expanded. Having to upgrade and expand using external components has NEVER been an advantage. Sure it's possible, and with thunderbolt it's going to be a lot less detrimental to performance, but that's not the point. People who need the most power and abilities possible are not well served by machines that have soldiered components that used to be user replaceable.

It's on heck of a machine, but a package that could handle a 3.5" drive would have been nice...

Can Apple fans not even be critical anymore?

• Reply 100 of 297
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Since I have spare money and put nothing on my Christmas list, perhaps I should pick one of the new nMP to replace my 2011 iMac - which top-notch yet reasonably-priced 27" display could I find?

I read somewhere that, under Mavericks, you can interconnect 2 (or more) Thunderbolt Macs using: System Preferences--->Network--->Thunderbolt Bridge.

If this works as I understand it, you could use your 2011 iMac as a interim display for the New Mac Pro -- until Apple releases new displays.

I only have 1 Thunderbolt Mac (a 2011 iMac) so I can't test it.

I already have 2 Pegasus 12 TB Raids & Planed to buy a New Mac Pro and TB Display... but I think I will try to use the iMac, as above, until I can buy an Apple 4K display.

As an alternative, I have an old 23" Cinema Display that works fine connected to the TB port with a MiniDisplay Adapter.