Apple updates homepage to feature new holiday ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple on Wednesday changed its homepage to better reflect the quickly approaching Christmas holiday by adding embedded versions of the company's "Happy Holidays" TV commercial and video-within-a-video "Harris Family Holiday" home movie.

Holiday

The latest change to Apple's landing page replaces the company's tribute to the late Nelson Mandela with something more festive ahead of the holidays.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple is using its latest iPhone and AirPlay combo ad to brighten up the Apple.com homepage. The change comes exactly one week from Christmas day.

Apple's holiday commercial, which aired on Monday, marked the return of its moving "quiet" iPhone ad campaign with a touching portrait of the modern family Christmas as seen through the lens of an iPhone 5s.

In the spot, a seemingly affected teenager is shown with his nose buried in his iPhone, apparently out of touch with the family festivities going on around him. The ad includes a surprise ending -- hence its title "Misunderstood" -- that has literally brought some viewers to tears.

The small graphic change brings the Apple.com landing page more in line with the rest of the company's website, which now features the traditional holiday-themed storefront complete with gift list suggestions for last-minute shoppers.

On a related note, Apple earlier this week activated iBookstore gifting, bringing the last iTunes Store outlet into the gift-giving fold in time for the holidays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Santa will be delivering lots of cool Apple products for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's not on the Australian site yet, where in Western Sydney it's a lovely 32C (90F) with tomorrow's forecast for a balmy 41C (106F).

Chance of a "white Christmas"?

An infinitesimally small value above zero.

I still like the ad.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Santa will be delivering lots of cool Apple products for sure.

And people will be hiding behind them instead of enjoying the holiday with their loved ones.
    Merry Christmas.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    The best part about this ad, that captures the joy and meaning of the holidays in one frame?

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/36291/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Look closely. See what's missing?
    Yup.
  • Reply 5 of 18

Brilliant ad. 

All too rare from Apple these days, unfortunately.

• Reply 6 of 18
    cash907 wrote: »
    And people will be hiding behind them instead of enjoying the holiday with their loved ones.
    Merry Christmas.

Apple products can bring people together, try living the other side of the Atlantic from your family you self centered nincompoop.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    hill60 wrote: »
    It's not on the Australian site yet, where in Western Sydney it's a lovely 32C (90F) with tomorrow's forecast for a balmy 41C (106F).

Chance of a "white Christmas"?

An infinitesimally small value above zero.

I still like the ad.

On top of no snow at Christmas you are upside down,! :D

Other than the orientation winter is similarly warm here ... well almost. That said, in 1992 I saw snow flakes but they never quite hit the ground.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Merry Christmas.
    Really. Hmm...I know my family has a lot of fun playing games on the iPad. It is possible to use these devices without hiding behind them/being anti social.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I'd rather it featured the new Mac Pro, even if only for a few days.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The best part about this ad, that captures the joy and meaning of the holidays in one frame?

Yup.
    I have a guess but that doesn't mean we're thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Google products.

• Reply 12 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Anybody notice the iOS 7 appearance on the Apple website when the video plays? Is this part of Mavericks as well?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Really. Hmm...I know my family has a lot of fun playing games on the iPad. It is possible to use these devices without hiding behind them/being anti social.
    The video is called "Misunderstood" for a reason. The kid appears to be self-absorbed and isolated from the family activities around him -- and he is. In the end Apple would have you believe his preoccupation with the iPhone, or iPod Touch all worthwhile as he delivers a touching family video, including everything they did over the last few days but him.

The message is cynically, don't worry about your kids sitting off in a corner by themselves focused on their Apple devices as they are budding Spielbergs creating selfless memories.

Unfortunately, the filmmaker is missing from them. As far as the video shows us, he's completely missing from the family memories, and only got to enjoy them vicariously through the subjects of his film, which by all evidence the making of which is where he spent his entire holiday. How sad for his family when he finally becomes a dad.

While there may be nothing wrong with Apple products for the holidays and may in fact bring families together in some respects (multi-player video games, sharing photos, watching movies, listening to music, FaceTime, etc.) this particular video doesn't really show that. In fact it does show he flip side of that, as to how they might excluded some family members. Regardless of the end result, because of an Apple product one of the kids in his family was essentially MIA from the special family moments.

You know what would have been cool? Seeing the kid put the phone down after getting the shot and joining the family fun. Perhaps Dad and son sitting and editing the video together, including shots from dad's camera that got a few shots of the kid involved as well, ending with one of him filming the family. Or maybe dad streaming his own separate movie over the Apple TV to the kid's heartwarming surprise ... I.e. dad knew what his child was doing unsupervised on the iDevice and made sure he wasn't left out of his own family memory. Seriously ... No adult knew or cared!?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Unfortunately, the filmmaker is missing from them. As far as the video shows us, he's completely missing from the family memories, and only got to enjoy them vicariously through the subjects of his film, which by all evidence the making of which is where he spent his entire holiday. How sad for his family when he finally becomes a dad.

Yeah, introverts sure are “missing out” on life.

…made sure he wasn’t left out of his own family memory.

Yeah, no one should be allowed to define for themselves what a memory is.

• Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

You know what would have been cool? Seeing the kid put the phone down after getting the shot and joining the family fun. 

Yeah, and then all join together in break dancing, making clicking sounds. We all miss that /s

• Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Unfortunately, the filmmaker is missing from them. As far as the video shows us, he's completely missing from the family memories...

Did you watch it?

• Reply 18 of 18

Here's the full 2 minute version.