Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

Comments

• Reply 161 of 297
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple .. please post the amount I have to make a check out for to get an 8 core Mac Pro! Why the secrecy?
  • Reply 162 of 297
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

5) Are you really saying "serious professionals" never had to "buy more stuff" with the old style Mac Pro? You're the one that showed an image that had a Forte A/V interface!

Ha! Alienzed should see the cables and peripherals hanging off our current (2010 and earlier) Mac Pros. And tell my boss that he "doesn't need to buy more stuff". Too funny.

• Reply 163 of 297
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that the Apple Mac Pro is going where the Pro A/V market will be in 5 years. With Thunderbolt your external devices can be in another room -- separate from where you are processing audio. 

We've had our shared raid/NAS in it's own room for a few years now, we can do recording in any of our suites without any noisy external boxes, if we need to.

• Reply 164 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Wanting more than 1TB from a pro machine who's last iteration (release 2 years ago!!!) used to be able to house over 10TB isn't that unreasonable. And we all know that thunderbolt enclosures are still real pricey, nor are they warranted given that even SSD read/write at like 500mb/s, muchless HDD read/write speeds that don't even really need Firewire 400.

The Mac Pro looks great, but it's target market seems extremely small to me, because it is simply crippled in so many ways... and I was finally ready to move up from the iMac....

No hard feelings, anyone!

No hard feelings taken. It just seems the re-imagined Mac Pro is either not what you personally want/need, or that your idea of what it should be isn't aligned with what the Mac Pro actually has become.

• Reply 165 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

No hard feelings taken. It just seems the re-imagined Mac Pro is either not what you personally want/need, or that your idea of what it should be isn't aligned with what the Mac Pro actually has become.

Indeed.

• Reply 166 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple .. please post the amount I have to make a check out for to get an 8 core Mac Pro! Why the secrecy?

They really could have put this info up already with a note saying available Dec whatever.  It is crazy.

• Reply 167 of 297

I haven't posted to AppleInsider for some time. I believe I started reading AppleInsider back in 1998 when it started and actually registered in 2002.

I used to goto AppleInsider regularly for decent info and great in depth discussions about the Apple Mac products. Of late I've not participated much at all, but regularly pop in to see what's being discussed.

Today as I'm in the market for buying the late 2013 Mac Pro which is a real departure from the pre-2013 Mac Pros I decided to use AppleInsider for some good info and discussions on this new Mac pro.

From all that I've read so far I'm targeting the 6-core Mac Pro, and likely will upgrade the PCIe-based Flash storage to 1TB as I'm not at all sure it can be upgraded using a 3rd party. I suspect OWC will have something but don't want to wait for it to surface. RAM for this new Mac Pro certainly seems to be available from OWC and surprisingly enough from what I've seen so far the speculative price difference between what Apple will charge for 32 and 64 GB is close to buying the same from OWC at this time. However, real prices will be revealed tomorrow.

I have no idea at this time if the 2nd GPU will get heavy use with my workload, but I'm understanding Apple is modifying some of its applications such as FCP and Compressor to make efficient use of 2 GPUs. I would expect (but have no real insights on this) Adobe will do the same for some of its applications as well.

Some people have a real issue with having to add/use external storage to this new Mac Pro. For me, I have no issues at all. I have already purchased the LaCie 2big 6TB RAID-0 Thunderbolt device that has removable 3.5" disks as a refurbished unit for $369 the other day from MacMall. I've registered it with LaCie and it has been assigned a 3 year warranty from it original data of purchase that was March 2013. I also happen to have a LaCie 2TB RAID-0 Little Big Disk Thunderbolt. Both of these currently are being used along with my 17" MacBookPro8,3 (late 2011). They are solid performers. The LaCie 2big is amazingly quiet and to hear any noise at all I have to place my ear to within 3" of its casing. The Little Big Disk is much noisier and I can hear its noise from 2' away.

My intent is to move the 2big over to be used with the new Mac Pro, and for the time being will operate the new Mac Pro via Screen Sharing on my MacBookPro. To startup the new Mac Pro I will need to connect it to my TV via HDMI to get things setup and for configuring it to allow the Screen Sharing.

I'm a computer enthusiast and have liked the Apple Mac product line from the early days going back to the Mac 512K (FYI... around $2600 at the time). I'm retired from managing HPC at a major Corp now but do provide IT support for my son's editing/video business which employs 4 Mac Pros (pre 2013 models) and 2 iMacs Ultimates (maxed out iMacs bought late 2012 and early 2013). His machines use the SmallTree 10TB Raid-5 GraniteSTOR TitaniumZ-5 for shared storage over direct connect 1GbE CAT6 links, with one using 10GbE over CAT7 as it's a power client Mac Pro doing the 'heavy lifting'. He's not in any real hurry to upgrade his Mac Pros to the new Mac pro at this time and he considers it a luxury item if he were to do so from a capital expenditure standpoint. His current project/contract workload is handled quite well with his current family of Macs... but will surely be maxed out as his workloads do/will increase and as project deadlines can be very stressful. Eventually he will upgrade his Macs over the next few years. Given his current studio configuration upgrading to the new Mac Pro will be close to effortless as he has everything in place to make good use of it. My son gives high marks to Apple for making the new Mac Pro smaller, lighter and more easily moved about within office workplaces and for traveling to client locations. He quite happy to get away from having to mess with the Mac Pro internals for adding disks, SSDs, PCIe cards etc and likes the idea of having a single multi TB Thunderbolt enclosure sitting alongside the new Mac Pro such as the LaCie 2big device which as I've already mentioned is very very quiet. He's likely to hang onto one or more of his Mac Pros for their connectivity to his large screen TVs.

We plan on using the 6-core I will buy to compare with his current Mac Pro and iMac lineup to get an understanding of how well the new Mac Pro performs for his workload. It may well be that I loan/rent my new Mac pro to my son at times and eventually sell it to him if he sees it has benefit for his business.

So the above is my position concerning the new Mac Pro and I find that I do not have the misgivings about its design, architecture and pricing that some people have. Sure it would be nice if the price was lower, but I don't see it to be out of line or outrages with what Apple has charged before and is comparable to the other computer workstation vendors.

Just for the record, my 17" MBP8,3 is a 2.5 GHz i7 4-core, with 16GB RAM, OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD 480GB and a Seagate Momentus 6G 1TB in its Optical bay location using OWC's Data Doubler product (Negotiated Link Speed is 6G in the Optical bay as well). I split the SSD into two equal pieces and run 10.9.1 as production and another test version of Mavericks in the other. The Seagate is split into two Volumes, with one holding a clone of the 10.9.1 and the other used for fast scratch space as needed. The MBP is wired to a Apple 1TB Time Capsule which has several USB drives hanging off it for archiving data. Time Machine backups are made to a locally connected 2TB FW800 enclosure as well as the Time Capsule for extra backup safeguard. I keep my big 'stuff' (1.4TB worth) such as iTunes, iPhoto, Movies, Documents, Games, Home Design Studio software on the LaCie 2TB RAID-0 Little Big Disk Thunderbolt. This allows me to keep the 10.9.1 SSD boot Volume down to around 120GB which leaves about 100GB of free space for scratch purposes. So I should think the 1TB PCIe-based Flash storage in the new Mac Pro will be more than sufficient for my needs.

Mavericks does a fine job managing memory these days and I rarely see any 'memory pressure' as displayed by the Activity Monitor.

• Reply 168 of 297
    What a joke. Way too late and way too expensive! ! Here in Australia, starting price is $4k.
    Would not mind it so much if you could downgrade it. I don't need 2 video cards, just one. Leave the second card out, give me some options Apple, if the gap between Mac Mini and Mac Pro wasn't enormous, I'd be more inclined to upgrade.

Really, who the heck can afford $4k for a CPU, RAM and a flash drive? Come on guys, PC's are whizzing ahead in performance and coming down in price...
  • Reply 169 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

What a joke. Way too late and way too expensive! ! Here in Australia, starting price is $4k.

Would not mind it so much if you could downgrade it. I don't need 2 video cards, just one. Leave the second card out, give me some options Apple, if the gap between Mac Mini and Mac Pro wasn't enormous, I'd be more inclined to upgrade.

Really, who the heck can afford $4k for a CPU, RAM and a flash drive? Come on guys, PC's are whizzing ahead in performance and coming down in price...

There are people here that are ready to buy as soon as it goes live.

I certainly am in the market but will wait to see how my main apps work with it.

Guess it's not for you.  Doesn't mean it is bad machine.

I hate iOS7.  Lots of people love it.  That's life.  Apple is going to go where the money is.
  • Reply 170 of 297
    "There are people here that are ready to buy as soon as it goes live.

I certainly am in the market but will wait to see how my main apps work with it."

>  Yup, people stand in a cue and give money to Apple, shish!

Guess it's not for you.  Doesn't mean it is bad machine.

> I wish it WAS for me, I'm not saying it's bad machine, I'm saying it's badly priced!

I hate iOS7.  Lots of people love it.  That's life.  Apple is going to go where the money is.

> The mobile devices, I can understand that's where the money is, not sure about the expensive box solutions though

• Reply 171 of 297
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

I think I have a solution to your problem. If you don't need its capabilities, and you can't afford one, perhaps you should buy something else.
  • Reply 172 of 297

Well, I got an alert message from http://www.istheapplestoredown.com ...The Apple Online Store went down at 2305 hrs PST. Apple presumably was serious about updating things that hopefully include the new Mac Pro. I suspect it will be online again in a few hours.... so back to my movie watching. :D

• Reply 173 of 297
    Would not mind it so much if you could downgrade it. I don't need 2 video cards, just one.

It is not meant for "hardware enthusiasts" who just wanna brag. It is meant for serious multi-core compute-heavy work. If your needs are met by lesser hardware, then buy lesser hardware. Apple happens to sell a number of fine machines that'll meet your needs, like the iMac.
  • Reply 174 of 297

I develop databases, I need fast drive access, CPU both as a workstation and a database server...and that's why I don't need the extra video card. It's not about bragging, it's about having a machine that's capable and fast. Mac Mini is good enough for now, but I would have upgraded if the price was right...

• Reply 175 of 297

Store is down...

Hope Santa comes in with good pricing.

• Reply 176 of 297

It's live.

Go get them!

Maxed out machine comes in at $9599.

6 core add 500

8 core add 2000

Drat.  6 is my budget methinks

• Reply 177 of 297

My 6-core plus extra software and AppleCare came in at $5673.97 + $539.03 tax (EPP program was used) and will be available for pickup at my local Apple Store Feb 6, 2014.

I will need to talk with local Apple Store to find out whether the software costs for FCPX, LPX and Aperture are zero per the online store stating "This version is a free update for current users of Final Cut Pro X." for example.

Details

• Available to ship: January

Available for pickup: Ships to Apple Store, *********************

Hardware

• 3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache

• 32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

• 512GB PCIe-based flash storage

• Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

• User's Guide (English)

• Accessory Kit

Software

• Pages, Numbers, Keynote

• iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand

• OS X

• Final Cut Pro X

• Logic Pro X

• Aperture

Services and Support

• Reply 178 of 297
    alienzed wrote: »
    Of course some people are going to do stuff like that, but Macbook Pros are there for portability. Sticking it all in a briefcase as big as the old Mac Pro might be necessary for some people, but it goes against the idea of having a "mobile" device.

Again, the Mac Pro is not a mobile device, it sits on a desk and never moves. It's small size is good for nothing other than wow-factor and Apple's shipping costs (oh and the environment!) My guess is that lots of people would have been much happier with half-decent internal storage.

[VIDEO]http://player.vimeo.com/video/43125025[/VIDEO]
  • Reply 179 of 297
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Human Nature Can Never Be Satisfied In Life.

• Reply 180 of 297
    bxs6408 wrote: »
    I haven't posted to AppleInsider for some time. I believe I started reading AppleInsider back in 1998 when it started and actually registered in 2002.

I used to goto AppleInsider regularly for decent info and great in depth discussions about the Apple Mac products. Of late I've not participated much at all, but regularly pop in to see what's being discussed.

Today as I'm in the market for buying the late 2013 Mac Pro which is a real departure from the pre-2013 Mac Pros I decided to use AppleInsider for some good info and discussions on this new Mac pro.

From all that I've read so far I'm targeting the 6-core Mac Pro, and likely will upgrade the PCIe-based Flash storage to 1TB as I'm not at all sure it can be upgraded using a 3rd party. I suspect OWC will have something but don't want to wait for it to surface. RAM for this new Mac Pro certainly seems to be available from OWC and surprisingly enough from what I've seen so far the speculative price difference between what Apple will charge for 32 and 64 GB is close to buying the same from OWC at this time. However, real prices will be revealed tomorrow.

I have no idea at this time if the 2nd GPU will get heavy use with my workload, but I'm understanding Apple is modifying some of its applications such as FCP and Compressor to make efficient use of 2 GPUs. I would expect (but have no real insights on this) Adobe will do the same for some of its applications as well.

Some people have a real issue with having to add/use external storage to this new Mac Pro. For me, I have no issues at all. I have already purchased the LaCie 2big 6TB RAID-0 Thunderbolt device that has removable 3.5" disks as a refurbished unit for $369 the other day from MacMall. I've registered it with LaCie and it has been assigned a 3 year warranty from it original data of purchase that was March 2013. I also happen to have a LaCie 2TB RAID-0 Little Big Disk Thunderbolt. Both of these currently are being used along with my 17" MacBookPro8,3 (late 2011). They are solid performers. The LaCie 2big is amazingly quiet and to hear any noise at all I have to place my ear to within 3" of its casing. The Little Big Disk is much noisier and I can hear its noise from 2' away.

My intent is to move the 2big over to be used with the new Mac Pro, and for the time being will operate the new Mac Pro via Screen Sharing on my MacBookPro. To startup the new Mac Pro I will need to connect it to my TV via HDMI to get things setup and for configuring it to allow the Screen Sharing.

I'm a computer enthusiast and have liked the Apple Mac product line from the early days going back to the Mac 512K (FYI... around $2600 at the time). I'm retired from managing HPC at a major Corp now but do provide IT support for my son's editing/video business which employs 4 Mac Pros (pre 2013 models) and 2 iMacs Ultimates (maxed out iMacs bought late 2012 and early 2013). His machines use the SmallTree 10TB Raid-5 GraniteSTOR TitaniumZ-5 for shared storage over direct connect 1GbE CAT6 links, with one using 10GbE over CAT7 as it's a power client Mac Pro doing the 'heavy lifting'. He's not in any real hurry to upgrade his Mac Pros to the new Mac pro at this time and he considers it a luxury item if he were to do so from a capital expenditure standpoint. His current project/contract workload is handled quite well with his current family of Macs... but will surely be maxed out as his workloads do/will increase and as project deadlines can be very stressful. Eventually he will upgrade his Macs over the next few years. Given his current studio configuration upgrading to the new Mac Pro will be close to effortless as he has everything in place to make good use of it. My son gives high marks to Apple for making the new Mac Pro smaller, lighter and more easily moved about within office workplaces and for traveling to client locations. He quite happy to get away from having to mess with the Mac Pro internals for adding disks, SSDs, PCIe cards etc and likes the idea of having a single multi TB Thunderbolt enclosure sitting alongside the new Mac Pro such as the LaCie 2big device which as I've already mentioned is very very quiet. He's likely to hang onto one or more of his Mac Pros for their connectivity to his large screen TVs.

We plan on using the 6-core I will buy to compare with his current Mac Pro and iMac lineup to get an understanding of how well the new Mac Pro performs for his workload. It may well be that I loan/rent my new Mac pro to my son at times and eventually sell it to him if he sees it has benefit for his business.

So the above is my position concerning the new Mac Pro and I find that I do not have the misgivings about its design, architecture and pricing that some people have. Sure it would be nice if the price was lower, but I don't see it to be out of line or outrages with what Apple has charged before and is comparable to the other computer workstation vendors.

Just for the record, my 17" MBP8,3 is a 2.5 GHz i7 4-core, with 16GB RAM, OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD 480GB and a Seagate Momentus 6G 1TB in its Optical bay location using OWC's Data Doubler product (Negotiated Link Speed is 6G in the Optical bay as well). I split the SSD into two equal pieces and run 10.9.1 as production and another test version of Mavericks in the other. The Seagate is split into two Volumes, with one holding a clone of the 10.9.1 and the other used for fast scratch space as needed. The MBP is wired to a Apple 1TB Time Capsule which has several USB drives hanging off it for archiving data. Time Machine backups are made to a locally connected 2TB FW800 enclosure as well as the Time Capsule for extra backup safeguard. I keep my big 'stuff' (1.4TB worth) such as iTunes, iPhoto, Movies, Documents, Games, Home Design Studio software on the LaCie 2TB RAID-0 Little Big Disk Thunderbolt. This allows me to keep the 10.9.1 SSD boot Volume down to around 120GB which leaves about 100GB of free space for scratch purposes. So I should think the 1TB PCIe-based Flash storage in the new Mac Pro will be more than sufficient for my needs.

Mavericks does a fine job managing memory these days and I rarely see any 'memory pressure' as displayed by the Activity Monitor.

^^^This

Just to put $ vs features into perspective

Release date September 10, 1984
    Introductory price US$ 2795
    Discontinued April 14, 1986
    Operating system 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.2,[1] 3.3, 3.4, 4.0, 4.1
    CPU Motorola 68000 @ 7.8338 MHz (Effectively 6MHz)
    Memory 512 kB (built-in)

...No SSD or HDD internal storage

CPI Inflation Calculator
    $ 2795 in 1984

Has the same buying power as:
    $6,269.76 in 2013

You can get a 3 GHz 8-core 32 GB RAM 512 GB SSD Dual GPU nMP for $6199 -- less $ than that 1984 Mac