Apple updates Final Cut Pro with Mac Pro optimizations

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hot on the heels of Thursday's Mac Pro release, Apple updated its flagship Final Cut Pro video editing software with tweaks and additions tailored to take advantage of the new desktop's capabilities.

FCP

Final Cut Pro hit version 10.1 with the update and brings a slew of optimizations, performance enhancements and user interface changes targeted at high-end hardware, like the redesigned Mac Pro.

Among the added features, Mac Pro-specific assets include optimization for the computer's standard dual-GPU setup, as well as video monitoring at up to 4K resolutions via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI.

A selection of new features from the release notes:
  • Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
  • Video monitoring up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers
  • 4K content including titles, transitions, and generators
  • Libraries allow you to gather multiple events and projects within a single bundle
  • Easily open and close individual libraries to load just the material you need
  • Option to import media to locations inside or outside a library
  • Automatically back up libraries to a user-specified drive or network location
  • Project Snapshots let you quickly capture the project state for fast versioning
  • Non-rippling retime option
  • One-step Replace and Retime
  • Custom project frame sizes
  • Detach audio from Multicam Clips in the timeline to manipulate audio and video separately
  • Make video or audio-only edits into the timeline with Multicam Clips as sources
  • Native support for .MTS and .MT2S files from AVCHD cameras
  • Used media indicators on source clips
  • API for custom Share operations using third-party software
In addition to the above improvements, the latest Final Cut Pro now offers direct 4K shares to YouTube, iOS photo importing, FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support, and more.

Apple's Final Cut Pro version 10.1 can be purchased now through the Mac App Store for $299.99, or as a free download for existing customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Wow, don't think I have ever seen a 4K video on Youtube.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    No Aperture update? I guess we'll know in two weeks whether it's really dead or not.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Lots of software updates recently.

C'mon, iOS 7.0.5...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    No raw support! Are you freaking kidding me?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Aperture was updated to v3.5 in October, and more recently to 3.5.1. Don't think it's dead just yet.
  • Reply 6 of 26

As for the desperately needed Aperture update…crickets. It continue on life support.

• Reply 7 of 26
    Requires Mavericks. Great, Apple. First you don't address the Western Digital Raid software conflict (which wiped all of my drives, WD and non) and now I can't even upgrade on my system that I was forced to roll back to Mountain Lion? I could really use that auto backup feature.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Originally Posted by damage976 View Post

I could really use that auto backup feature.

Well, you know what to do, then.

• Reply 9 of 26
    Well, you know what to do, then.

I'm not touching it with any length of pole until I finish this project I had to manually recover. Manual duplicates until then, I suppose.
  • Reply 10 of 26

Manual duplicates until then, I suppose.

Or Time Machine.

• Reply 11 of 26
    Or Time Machine.
    Does Time Machine backup external drives? I may be wrong but that's my main issue. I create duplicates in Final Cut to my RAID and then cross my fingers that Backblaze backs up that copy in time.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Does Time Machine backup external drives? I may be wrong but that's my main issue. I create duplicates in Final Cut to my RAID and then cross my fingers that Backblaze backs up that copy in time.

I believe that it does, it's just off be default. Open TM prefs and go to Options. You'll see your externals in the "exclude" list. Presumably removing it would back it up.

• Reply 13 of 26
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:

Yes
  • Reply 14 of 26
    damage976 wrote: »
    Requires Mavericks. Great, Apple. First you don't address the Western Digital Raid software conflict (which wiped all of my drives, WD and non) and now I can't even upgrade on my system that I was forced to roll back to Mountain Lion? I could really use that auto backup feature.

http://www.bombich.com
  • Reply 15 of 26
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

I know I was thinking the same thing. My biggest request was for CinemaDNG support. With Blackmagic and Apple so close you would think it would be a no brainer!

• Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

Aperture was updated to v3.5 in October, and more recently to 3.5.1. Don't think it's dead just yet.

I don't want to go on the cart!

• Reply 17 of 26
    Wow, awesome updates! Final Cut Pro is slowly but surely becoming the video editing software of the future we thought it would be. Really nice, the retiming stuff is a great addition.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    What Apple did to Aperture In October hardly resembles an update IMHO.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Why do you need that?  The iPhone doesn't shoot in RAW.

• Reply 20 of 26
    Actually, most of these updates aren't targeted at high-end hardware, just the first few. After that it's a slew of very useful updates to anyone who uses Final Cut Pro X regularly. I'm personally extremely excited about organizing my projects into libraries and being able to automatically back up libraries. Project Snapshots sound incredibly useful as well. No more duplicating projects to save different stages of the edit. This all sounds great to me. :)