Standard Mac Pro configurations now ship from Apple in February

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple quickly sold out of its initial allotment of Mac Pro inventory when preorders began on Thursday, as new orders are now scheduled to ship in February.

Pro orders

When Apple's all-new professional-grade desktop first went on sale early Thursday, default configurations of the Mac Pro were advertised as available to ship by Dec. 30. That quickly slipped, however, and as of later in the morning, new orders are now listed as available to ship in February, with no specific date provided.

The newly advertised shipping date suggests Apple has already sold out of its initial allotment of Mac Pro machines. The February ship date applies to both the quad-core model starting at $2,999, and the 6-core version at $3,999.

One reason for limited availability could be that the new Mac Pro is being manufactured entirely in the U.S. Apple's efforts are unique for a modern electronics company, as most current gadgets are assembled in factories in the Far East.

Despite the delays and limited stock, Apple technically met its self-imposed December deadline for launching the new Mac Pro. However, it would seem that most who are interested in the machine will not in fact receive their order until well into 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    People buy it for mining bit coins ?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The Verge got their hands on a unit. And of course the comments section is filled with ubiquitous overpriced trash can posts.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/19/5227466/the-new-mac-pro-2013-hands-on
  • Reply 3 of 44

That's a pretty big jump from Dec. 30 to Feb.

• Reply 4 of 44

Ahhhh !!

The Quality and Cachet, of "Made In America"

9 to 5 work hours

1 Hour Paid Lunch

3 - 20 minute breaks

2 Inspectors to every worker

....this ain't no Chinese labor, ya know

with their 18 hour work days, sleep in the back, can-do approach

• Reply 5 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Remarkable how much more you can get for that price compared to a couple of decades ago... even just into the 90's.

• Reply 6 of 44
    The move to manufacturer in the United States clearly reflects the tactic Tim Cook (and team) are putting in place as their long-term strategy. U.S. companies clearly realize that protected IP is selfishly being stolen by external entities (e.g. China). Although manufacturing in the U.S. raises costs across the board, the most important thing is to protect Intellectual Property ... and Apple is carving out a path to do just that.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Can't wait for this machine to be shipped. It will definitely be a beast with blazing speeds.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh !!

The Quality and Cachet, of "Made In America"

9 to 5 work hours

1 Hour Paid Lunch

3 - 20 minute breaks

2 Inspectors to every worker

....this ain't no Chinese labor, ya know

with their 18 hour work days, sleep in the back, can-do approach

There's no paid lunch in Texas

• Reply 9 of 44
    So any guesses as to their initial stockpile size? It seems like they had a pent-up demand for well over 100k units, possibly 500k. Would be great to see the Mac Pro maxed out for two quarters in a row.

I do worry a little about the tax year spending getting screwed up though due to later deliveries.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    rogifan wrote: »
    The Verge got their hands on a unit. And of course the comments section is filled with ubiquitous overpriced trash can posts.

"It's astonishingly reflective — I can see the screen clearly, and anyone who walks by is immediately recognizable — and it picks up fingerprints really easily."

I'm starting a petition for a matte version¡
  • Reply 11 of 44
    quazze wrote: »
    The move to manufacturer in the United States clearly reflects the tactic Tim Cook (and team) are putting in place as their long-term strategy. U.S. companies clearly realize that protected IP is selfishly being stolen by external entities (e.g. China). Although manufacturing in the U.S. raises costs across the board, the most important thing is to protect Intellectual Property ... and Apple is carving out a path to do just that.
    According to the Jony Ive bio recently released, Apple's Operations organization was demanding that the Mac Mini be manufactured in the USA but the designers couldn't find anyone who could manufacture it to their specifications. Foxconn basically bent over backwards to do whatever Apple wanted.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    solipsismx wrote: »
    "It's astonishingly reflective — I can see the screen clearly, and anyone who walks by is immediately recognizable — and it picks up fingerprints really easily."

I'm sure after market cases will show up soon enough. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Thank heavens I woke up at 5 a.m., I had to buy mine in the 2013 tax year. My little guardian angel obviously wanted it too!
  • Reply 14 of 44
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

That's a pretty big jump from Dec. 30 to Feb.

Yeah, paying workers living wages and giving them holidays off means you have to wait a couple more weeks than usual. I know, it's hard to be you!

• Reply 15 of 44
    tyler82 wrote: »
    Yeah, paying workers living wages and giving them holidays off means you have to wait a couple more weeks than usual. I know, it's hard to be you!

I'm sure Apple will be using those Boston Dynamic robots to make them soon ... Oh wait a minute ...:\
  • Reply 16 of 44
    rogifan wrote: »

Yeah, no way the Mac Pro can compete with (insert Intel code names) and (nvidia code name) coming in 2016 when the current tick-tock cycle has completed and oh, here are some Call of Duty benchmarks showing 12000 FPS.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    solipsismx wrote: »

Matte? I'm spraying mine metallic red as soon as it arrives and seeing if I can auction it for 7 figures :)
  • Reply 18 of 44
    "...short, but not too big around..."

-Roger Miller
  • Reply 19 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    So any guesses as to their initial stockpile size? It seems like they had a pent-up demand for well over 100k units, possibly 500k. Would be great to see the Mac Pro maxed out for two quarters in a row.

I do worry a little about the tax year spending getting screwed up though due to later deliveries.

Not to be an ass but they probably had less than one hundred. Just enough to meet their launch deadline and not be completely embarrassed. I still suspect Intel is the hold up here.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm sure Apple will be using those Boston Dynamic robots to make them soon ... Oh wait a minute ...image

This type of labor should go to robots.. repetitive motion labor is the epitome of misery IMO. But at least this misery is paid a little bit more here.