Google's reaction to Apple's iPhone unveiling: 'We're going to have to start over' on Android

Comments

• Reply 41 of 226
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wigby wrote: »
    Electric mousetraps look nothing like traditional ones but are much more effective. That only comes from thinking outside of the box.

I've tried those and have only caught mice with one that's a improved version of the old one.

You want to catch mice? This is your best bet. I had an electric one and it sat for days without catching one. I put this down and no more than half an hour later did I hear the snap of it catching a mouse.
  • Reply 42 of 226
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Putting the definition of "stealing" aside for the moment, by your assertion, Apple should just copy from Google now and Google from Apple like a ping pong match. That might be how you keep shareholders happy but that's not how you innovate. Sometimes you have to just start over from scratch and focus intently on where you want the consumer experience to be. Nothing truly changes unless there is a chance of losing everything. Google took the obvious and easy way out. Blackberry took the lazy way out. I don't see anyone taking the brave path (except possibly Microsoft - never thought I would write that) except for Apple.

Apple DOES copy from Google (and others).  Taking the 'brave path' as you say is idealistically awesome and all (and obviously worked for Apple), but more often than not fails.

• Reply 43 of 226
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Well what exactly was copied? I don't mean to be a "troll" however you are making a claim and I will like to see some evidence supporting it.

Well clearly they stole the following, which Apple invented:

- Rectangular touch screen

- Icons in a grid layout

- Pinch to zoom

• Reply 44 of 226
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Pretty much confirms everything Jobs claimed - that Android was just a knockoff of iOS and the iPhone. What is interesting though, is that it seems to disprove the allegation that Eric Schmidt, who was on Apple's board at the time, was passing along iPhone information to Google ... at least prior to the public unveiling. Not sure how much the board knew about the iPhone before the unveiling, but it appears the Google engineers didn't know about it beforehand.

I am personally not buying this whole story they only found out about what the Iphone looked like after it was announced. Google had the maps and search tool on the first phone, do you think that was done without the android team at google knowing anything about it. I suspect that they saw it long before it was intro and those were the conversation that happen then they turned on the copy machine at that time.

The fact they were designing the software for a keyboard based phone explains now why it suck so bad at touch screen usability when it first came out.

• Reply 45 of 226
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Complacency is also a big factor. How many businesses have been replaced by another business that really didn't offer anything much different? Too many companies rest on their laurels only to see all go to another company that did things just a little different.

I see your point that it should be noted but I would personally put that under ignorance.
  • Reply 46 of 226
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    wigby wrote: »
    Putting the definition of "stealing" aside for the moment, by your assertion, Apple should just copy from Google now and Google from Apple like a ping pong match. That might be how you keep shareholders happy but that's not how you innovate. Sometimes you have to just start over from scratch and focus intently on where you want the consumer experience to be. Nothing truly changes unless there is a chance of losing everything. Google took the obvious and easy way out. Blackberry took the lazy way out. I don't see anyone taking the brave path (except possibly Microsoft - never thought I would write that) except for Apple.

You obviously chose to ignore Google's [x]Labs, or aren't aware of their existence. You also apparently missed out on Calico. There's few companies brave (or is it stupid) enough to take longer walks in so many fields laying on the razor edge of possibilities than Google.
  • Reply 47 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

So you're saying that any company that is in the middle of developing a product which adjusts to remain competitive is pathetic?   I know you like to live in your Apple bubble and hate every other brand, but the competition is GOOD and not only for Apple, but the entire industry.  Apple has leveraged off of Google and others' ideas/features heavily ever since the first iPhone and to deny it is just plain stupid.

I'm saying a company that decided to develop a product in an entirely new market, that gets totally and completely owned before they can even finish designing it, probably has no idea what they are doing in that market.  Worse considering Google was trying to copy RIM before the iPhone, and couldn't even get in the race.

To then abandon those failed efforts, and deploy the same personnel to copy by rote an very innovative product, is not competition.  Android will never be a great OS, because it's designed to look like something else you might pay for, so they can squeeze data for targeted marketing out of you.   That's Google's entire strategy and this is not any kind of competition for Apple.  Google has only developed their ability to fabricate the facade of already popular products, which means they will always be behind the curve on any kind of actual product development.  That ain't any kind of racing, son.

This strategy will impress Wall St for a few short years, then lighter more nimble imitation competitors like Facebook and Twitter start to eat Google's actual revenue generating business (ads) while they are pre-occupied with the diminishing returns of blind imitation... oh wait... that's already happening. 

In theory maybe competition is good, and maybe someday Apple and iOS will face that, but even putting ungainly glasses on your face won't turn that science fiction into reality.

• Reply 48 of 226
    redefiler wrote: »
     Android will never be a great OS, because it's designed to look like something else you might pay for, so they can squeeze data for targeted marketing out of you.   That's Google's entire strategy and this is not any kind of competition for Apple.  Google has only developed their ability to fabricate the facade of already popular products, which means they will always be behind the curve on any kind of actual product development.  That ain't any kind of racing, son.

This strategy will impress Wall St for a few short years, then lighter more nimble imitation competitors like Facebook and Twitter start to eat Google's actual revenue generating business (ads) while they are pre-occupied with the diminishing returns of blind imitation... oh wait... that's already happening. 

In theory maybe competition is good, and maybe someday Apple and iOS will face that, but even putting ungainly glasses on your face won't turn that science fiction into reality.

Did you ever have a career at RIM? Sounds like something their management might have believed about Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 226
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dam1953 View Post

I recall reading that internally, RIM's first response to the iPhone unveiling was "that's impossible". Based upon their understanding of available tech, RIM believed that the device Jobs demonstrated and claims Jobs made were not technically feasible. This is likely why they were slow in responding. First, RIM had to come to grips with reality.

I am can also tell you that Motorola's internal response was something similar, actually it was oh we could have done that and there is nothing new or innovative in the iphone, Plus apple did not understand what consumers wanted which was a keyboard.

Just so people understand Motorola has this phone on the market in China before the iphone came out, yes it had a stylist but it also had a touch display. They never brought it to the US, not clear why, but notice how is look like the Star Trek Tricorder 

• Reply 50 of 226
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's a freaking shame.  Apple had a huge head-start with the iPhone but gave it completely away to Google's Android.  That's the biggest problem with Apple.  They've never quite figured out how to hold onto market share.  Steve Jobs practically gave the keys of the iPhone empire away to Eric Schmidt.  Pure negligence on Steve Jobs part.  I guess his genius didn't quite fathom that he would be completely backstabbed.  iOS's IP was up for grabs and Schmidt quickly grabbed it.  Steve Jobs is now turning over in his grave because "going thermonuclear" turned into an Apple disaster.

Now 80% of the world is using Android and Apple is left with some insignificant percentage that makes the entire mobile industry believe that Apple is doomed to oblivion.  Google is now Wall Street's favorite tech company and Apple has become a second-class tech company for investors.  Being the first to have something is nice but it's much better to hold onto the lead and not let anyone take it away.  The entire mobile industry says that Android devices are so much better than iPhones and Android OS offers a far longer features list than iOS.

So you say Apple's iPhone is now pushed to the background by Google's android spyware. 

Sure Google is out front with many, who buy based on low initial cost and not concerned about spyware.

If Apple engaged Google in the spyware business things would really heat up between them.  Fortunately Apple isn't copying that Google feature.

Yesterday I met a Microsoft mgr who showed me his iPhone he keeps in an inside pocket, else he gets hell.

Whoops bye, have to go to the bank and deposit my winnings from a recent Apple stock sale.

With Apple's industry leading success in the USA, Japan and soon with China Mobile I'm looking forward to more $$$.

• Reply 50 of 226
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

From Day 1, I always believed Android was a copycat after Schmidt walked out the iPhone event in 2007. Where did he go? Well, he went directly to Google HQ and stopped all android related projects and started a "new" (copying) project as android today...great innovation, Google.

• Reply 52 of 226
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

That video suggests that although google had to redesign the UI for touch, some of the plumbing of the OS was already in place when google first heard about the iPhone. The guy demonstrates several features characteristic of modern-day android, such as an early version of the notification bar as well as what seems like an early incarnation of the intents system for passing data between apps (contacts to maps in the video).

Notification bar?  Really?  "You've got mail?"

Yes I'm sure there's nothing in Apple's 30+ years of OS developments that was ever close to that...

See Apple Newton, the history of Mac OS trackpad and handwriting recognition software/hardware.  Never mind decades worth of R&D into multi-touch.  Then I'll show you a Google CEO contentiously leaving Apple's board and then we'll talk about Google and UI and touch... oh wait... conversation over.

• Reply 53 of 226
    redefiler wrote: »
    Notification bar?  Really?  "You've got mail?"
    Yes I'm sure there's nothing in Apple's 30+ years of OS developments that was ever close to that...

See Apple Newton, the history of Mac OS trackpad and handwriting recognition software/hardware.  Never mind decades worth of R&D into multi-touch.  Then I'll show you a Google CEO contentiously leaving Apple's board and then we'll talk about Google and UI and touch... oh wait... conversation over.

Fortunately for Apple and Microsoft employees and stockholders those two are lead by clearer vision and that view doesn't ignore Google.

Edit: This was considered and "ad-hom" and warranted an infraction??
  • Reply 54 of 226
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You might have a blind eye but fortunately for Apple and Microsoft employeees and stockholders those two are lead with clearer vision and that view doesn't ignore Google.

Yikes dude, take it easy.  You're like a jilted lover today  

• Reply 55 of 226
    Yikes dude, take it easy.  You're like a jilted lover today  

Ooh, that was two sentences :smokey: Good engagement ...
  • Reply 56 of 226

The saddest part of Android is while they modernize the UI to make it on part with the original iPhone, they have keep the archaic JavaVM runtime avenue used on first gen smartphone OS like Symbian and Blackberrys.

• Reply 57 of 226
    Quote:

Ooh, that was two sentences image Good engagement ...

You're welcome, you remind me a young solicitor that knocks on my door trying to sell me crap I don't need, nor am looking for. 

• Reply 58 of 226
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I see your point that it should be noted but I would personally put that under ignorance.

Agreed but complacency is willful ignorance on a subject matter that one relies and strives on.
  • Reply 59 of 226
    Quote:

Just because Google doesn't choose to aggressively wield Motorola patents to sue others that want to play in the same playpen they do doesn't make the IP worthless. On the contrary it has inestimable value by not being used in protectionist efforts to strip away profit and resources from other companies. If you think Google is simply an ad company you don't pay attention. Perhaps you should do a bit of reading outside of AI or other fan sites.

Here's one that might have a little interest to you:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-22/inside-googles-secret-lab

Lots of 'skunk' not a lot of 'works'.

Have you even seen the new Mac Pro?  That's shipped and selling out.

Google was preparing to sue with those patents, they thought they were buying an arsenal.

Motorola was smart to sell, Google wasted billions and got magic beans.  

Also see Ad Mob.  Paying billions for a company that sold ads on iOS, only to lose your previous system level position for data collection on iOS.  It's more stupid from the stupids that brought you Yahoo search by Google.

• Reply 60 of 226
    You're welcome, you remind me a young solicitor that knocks on my door trying to sell me crap I don't need, nor am looking for. 

Tyler Durden, is that you? :lol: