Apple issues first OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 beta build to developers, activates FaceTime Audio [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released the first beta of its upcoming OS X 10.9.2 maintenance update to developers, with the new build coming less than one week after OS X 10.9.1 went out to consumers.

Update: We are receiving reports that FaceTime Audio has been enabled in the OS X 10.9.2 Messages app. Further information will be provided as it comes in.

Hot on the heels of Apple's OS X 10.9.1 release earlier this week, the company has issued the first beta build of a subsequent 10.9.2 update to developers for testing. The build number has been designated 13C32.

According to reader Gregg, Apple is asking developers to focus on Mail, Messages, virtual private network features, graphics drivers and VoiceOver.

Mail appears to be a continuing issue for Mavericks, as a large part of 10.9.1 update was dedicated to fixing issues with the app. Specifically, users were -- and still are -- having trouble with Gmail and Smart Mailboxes. Graphics and VoiceOver were also updated with 10.9.1, though Messages and VPN look to be new areas of focus.

Developers can download the OS X 10.9.2 beta via Software Update or Apple's developer portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Their new tool that automatically puts betas into MAS is great.

2) I decided to go ahead and do the install of the Beta even though I hadn't had any issues with Mavericks since before the GM.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    vaporland wrote: »
    wings wrote: »
    The bug fix that I want is for the Finder to stop switching to my 1st space when I quit an app in the 2nd space (even if I just ran that app from my 2nd space)

Remember that the bug in Lion where the OS (maddeningly) ignored unchecking "reopen all windows at startup" didn't get fixed until 10.7.4.

That was a nightmare for users for about seven months. 

I was recommending that clients and friends not buy macs running 10.7 at the time - that was such a glaring bug, it was like driving a Tesla with a passenger side door that wouldn't open.

Right now I'm holding off on upgrading to Mavericks until the OS no longer (maddeningly) ignores unchecking "enable mirroring" and forgets all my multiple monitor settings at every reboot.

I figure that'll happen around 10.9.4 - about seven months from now (or when all those shiny new Mac Pros get smashed in frustration by high-end multiple monitor users).

Apple really needs to step up software quality control. Since Lion I've personally experienced bugs on a scale previously reserved for Vista and Windows ME. 

Basic stuff goes out broken, but damn it looks nice.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Shishkebabs!

It only seems like yesterday that we had our last update!

• Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

This time around, considering that OSX updates will be free and Apple prefers users be on the latest version, I'll be surprised if there is an update past 10.9.2.  At this point, I'd prefer Apple not focus on "features" for iOS 8 and OSX 10.10, and just work on bug fixes and improve stability / performance and UI refinements.  I like features as much as the next person but if given the choice, I prefer stability / performance first and foremost.  It wouldn't hurt Apple at all if they pulled a "Snow Leopard" for the next OS releases.

• Reply 5 of 27
    Oh fer the love of Scotty, when are they gonna fix trackpad gestures in Finder. This is driving me crackers!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

This time around, considering that OSX updates will be free and Apple prefers users be on the latest version, I'll be surprised if there is an update past 10.9.2.  At this point, I'd prefer Apple not focus on "features" for iOS 8 and OSX 10.10, and just work on bug fixes and improve stability / performance and UI refinements.  I like features as much as the next person but if given the choice, I prefer stability / performance first and foremost.  It wouldn't hurt Apple at all if they pulled a "Snow Leopard" for the next OS releases.

I can 99.99% guarantee you that there will be more than 10.9.2. The dot dot updates are maintenance updates and why Apple would not go past 10.9.2 is just plain silly to think. 

• Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I can 99.99% guarantee you that there will be more than 10.9.2. The dot dot updates are maintenance updates and why Apple would not go past 10.9.2 is just plain silly to think. 

Unless you have intimate knowledge of Apple's roadmap, you cannot guarantee anything (keyword being guarantee).  What Apple has historically done is not a guarantee of future actions.  Apple is known to change strategy / release schedules.

• Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Unless you have intimate knowledge of Apple's roadmap, you cannot guarantee anything (keyword being guarantee).  What Apple has historically done is not a guarantee of future actions.  Apple is known to change strategy / release schedules.

Well for one, Apple has released more than a few maintenance updates to OS X in ALL of its versions of OS X. To think 10.9 won't go past 10.9.2 is just stupid thinking. Why would they not want to fix issues with its OS? They can't release a new OS X every 6 months. This just isn't going to happen. 

• Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Well for one, Apple has released more than a few maintenance updates to OS X in ALL of its versions of OS X. To think 10.9 won't go past 10.9.2 is just stupid thinking. Why would they not want to fix issues with its OS? They can't release a new OS X every 6 months. This just isn't going to happen. 

"Why would they not want to fix issues with its OS?"

Same reason they haven't gone past a couple of maintenance updates for the past couple of iOS releases, they need their engineers working on the lastest version so they can keep their yearly release schedule.  Apple may have a lot of money but they are resource "starved" when it comes to the quality of engineers that they need..

• Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Same reason they haven't gone past a couple of maintenance updates for the past couple of iOS releases, they need their engineers working on the lastest version so they can keep their yearly release schedule.  Apple may have a lot of money but they are resource "starved" when it comes to the quality of engineers that they need..

They've released more than a couple bud...go back and check again. Last I knew, 10.8.5 is more than a couple. Its about average of previous releases. 

• Reply 11 of 27
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    no reason why Os X will not be in maintenance for much longer than 10.9.2

A team will work on bug fixes, others are working on 10.10

-
    and besides, you are exaggerating bugs.

"That was a nightmare for users for about seven months. "

... just a little hype here...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update: We are receiving reports that FaceTime Audio has been enabled in the OS X 10.9.2 Messages app. Further information will be provided as it comes in.

Finally.

• Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

They've released more than a couple bud...go back and check again. Last I knew, 10.8.5 is more than a couple. Its about average of previous releases. 

Read again, I was referring to iOS;

Same reason they haven't gone past a couple of maintenance updates for the past couple of iOS releases,"

The implication being that Apple will make their OSX releases mirror iOS releases; release every Fall, come out with a couple of maintenance updates, then get hard at work on the next version.

• Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Read again, I was referring to iOS;

Same reason they haven't gone past a couple of maintenance updates for the past couple of iOS releases,"

The implication being that Apple will make their OSX releases mirror iOS releases; release every Fall, come out with a couple of maintenance updates, then get hard at work on the next version.

I read again and you actually said "This time around, considering that OSX updates will be free and Apple prefers users be on the latest version, I'll be surprised if there is an update past 10.9.2."

How is this iOS????

• Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

I read again and you actually said "This time around, considering that OSX updates will be free and Apple prefers users be on the latest version, I'll be surprised if there is an update past 10.9.2."

How is this iOS????

You have to follow the entire conversation.  You're referring to my initial reply (post #5) to vaporland.  If you look at my post (#10) which is a reply to your post (#9), then hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about.

• Reply 16 of 27
    canukstorm wrote: »

I could not agree more. Batten down the hatches and patch all the leaks... Then full steam ahead!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I could not agree more. Batten down the hatches and patch all the leaks... Then full steam ahead!

Pretty much.  Kind of like what they used to do when they had "major" releases every 2 years.

• Reply 18 of 27
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by curtb87 View Post

Oh fer the love of Scotty, when are they gonna fix trackpad gestures in Finder. This is driving me crackers!

Ha ha!  I know  :  )  Take some of the programmers off Facial Recognition and put them on the "Many Little Fixes That Aren't Sexy" team. 

Writing this on Firefox because Safari is still acting up. 

• Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

...because timer coalescing, app nap, safari power saver, HD playback efficiency, compressed memory, UI refinements for calendars and contacts, and improvement on external display handling weren't stability/performance upgrades. Yes, they added some apps and abilities but it was to bring more consistency between mobile and desktop (which I've had zero problems with), but you can't say that mavericks wasn't more focused on stability/performance.

• Reply 20 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gtr wrote: »
    Shishkebabs!

It only seems like yesterday that we had our last update!

Oh thank god you said that... I thought it was age making things go faster!
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Their new tool that automatically puts betas into MAS is great.

2) I decided to go ahead and do the install of the Beta even though I hadn't had any issues with Mavericks since before the GM.

I've kept up with each of them since and has a wild ride.