Apple reinforces commitment to professionals with nearly 200 US-built Mac Pro configurations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    emes wrote: »
    Anyone else remember that old "Buy a Mac" ads where they made fun of Vista for having so many configurations?

Well, I guess now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. Apple does the same stuff as everyone else; they just want you to think it's different

Not the same. What's the difference between vista home and vista home premium?

Here the configurations are tangible and easy to understand.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo8 View Post

Looks like a garbage can, lol.

your an idiot lol.

• Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

Can you buy this base model and upgrade later with non apple accessories ? $1000.00 seems pretty steep for a 1 TB flash drive when you can get 1TB for $500.00 from crucial.

The PCIe flash drive is fully user upgradeable.  So I would say yes.  I would think that owc would have a drive upgrade soon for the new Mac Pro.

• Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo8 View Post

Why would there be a jet engine intake inside your office?

Why would there be something that looks like a troll on the other end of your keyboard, yet doesn't actually have as much use as a real one would?

• Reply 25 of 58
    Commitment to professions? I'll drink to that as soon as Cupertino announces a new 17" Retina MBP.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Originally Posted by aenghus View Post

Commitment to professions? I'll drink to that as soon as Cupertino announces a new 17" Retina MBP.

Give it a rest. You represented a meaningless portion of “professionals”.

• Reply 27 of 58
    Can you buy this base model and upgrade later with non apple accessories ? $1000.00 seems pretty steep for a 1 TB flash drive when you can get 1TB for $500.00 from crucial.

Even on Amazon I'm seeing PCIe SSDs at over $1000. Here is only that is less than half of 1TB and it's over $1,100. They also make one that is 960GB but I haven't been able to locate anyone selling it. edit: Looks like the 960GB version was $3,300 when it launched.

• Reply 28 of 58
    emesemes Posts: 239member

@Tallest Skil: So what you're saying is that this computer isn't for professionals? That the opinions of pros don't matter? God, you really are the worst of the worst, aren't you. Classic Apple fantroll. Why don't you give it a rest and stop knocking anyone who posts an opinion you don't agree with

• Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

your an idiot lol.

I'm pretty sure YOU'RE the idiot here.

• Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Why would there be something that looks like a troll on the other end of your keyboard, yet doesn't actually have as much use as a real one would?

You honestly don't think it looks like a trash can?  Besides looking like a trash can, I think its pretty neat how they fit that amount of power into that tiny trash can size.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/78766/Tallest-Skil" style="display:inline-block;">@Tallest Skil</a>
    : So what you're saying is that this computer isn't for professionals? That the opinions of pros don't matter? God, you really are the worst of the worst, aren't you. Classic Apple fantroll. Why don't you give it a rest and stop knocking anyone who posts an opinion you don't agree with
    He used to be a moderator
  • Reply 32 of 58
    <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/78766/Tallest-Skil" style="display:inline-block;">@Tallest Skil</a>
    : So what you're saying is that this computer isn't for professionals? That the opinions of pros don't matter? God, you really are the worst of the worst, aren't you. Classic Apple fantroll. Why don't you give it a rest and stop knocking anyone who posts an opinion you don't agree with

I'd love to know where you think that's being said, but you'll never be able to show me, because it isn't what is being said.
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    He used to be a moderator

If you're gonna throw in a "me too" comment, at least know what you're talking about first. Now you're just "me too"-ing because your feelings got hurt.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder if I can sell my Apple supplied 16 Gigs to anyone? Do these work in many other machines out there?

Might want to hold on to the Apple RAM. Apple support has a habit of blaming third part RAM for all manner of ills. You want to have the factory modules around to put into the machine to eliminate their use of that excuse.

-kpluck

• Reply 34 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

I wonder why it is so late. Some of these aren't even going to be shipped until late Jan with some part of the world starting only shipping in Feb. Which means mass availability of this is in March or later.

There will be Haswell-E with DDR 4, and Doubling the speed of SSD by using PCI-E 3.0 instead of the current PCI-E 2.0. Along with Next Gen Fire Pro GFX within 6 months of March.

I wonder what is the issues with the delay. Since you are essentially buying something premium that is 6 months old.

• Reply 35 of 58
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

There will be Haswell-E with DDR 4, and Doubling the speed of SSD by using PCI-E 3.0 instead of the current PCI-E 2.0. Along with Next Gen Fire Pro GFX within 6 months of March.

Where do you get this information? Haswell EP is nowhere in sight. Typically "E" launches first. It can be up to a few months, but typically it's a couple months between E and EP. E is not schedule to launch in the first half, and of course shipping in volume can be different from initial ship dates. It's not like all early samples are earmarked for Apple. People have commented for some reason that the D700 gpu upgrade is cheap. I think they are out of their minds. It may not cover the extreme markup relative to base configuration, but Apple doesn't give anything away. I would still like to know what the specific difference is here on the OSX side with these compared to the radeons they used before. Difference varies quite a bit in the standard versions. 6 months of March is still way too long. If the first ones of a new generation ship 6 months from 3 months away, they aren't going to wait. They skipped the entire Sandy Bridge EP, presumably due to this being a relatively new project with remaining work.

• Reply 36 of 58
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Give it a rest. You represented a meaningless portion of “professionals”.

Really? What are you basing that on? I know of plenty of professionals who are still using 17" MBPs and won't upgrade until Apple reinstates the model. 

• Reply 37 of 58
    I love Apple products but they are so expensive. Windows isn't as cool or works as well but it is a fraction of the cost so will always be the leader for many people.

If you like to keep up to date with the latest gadgets then you can get extra dollars towards them by recycling your old smartphone or tablet. Phone recycling is getting more popular across America all of the time. Comparison sites such as http://www.sellmycellphones.com aim to only compare reputable and trustworthy recycling companies so that users can make an impartial choice. Using the Sell My Cell Phones comparison site saves you time and can also help you to get the best deal available. Electronics recycling is a great cause and the more we recycle the better it is for the environment.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Really? What are you basing that on?

Fact, actual sales numbers, reality…

I know of plenty…

Again with the anecdotes.

…won’t upgrade until Apple reinstates the model. 

Guess they’d better get used to never buying a new computer ever again, then. Not sure how they plan to stay competitive.

• Reply 39 of 58
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fact, actual sales numbers, reality…

And do you wish to share these numbers with the class?

• Reply 40 of 58
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

And do you wish to share these numbers with the class?

Best be joking.

But no, I’m sure you know better than Apple what sells and what doesn’t. I’m sure you know what people were buying and what percentage of the market that was. No, you’ve seen “a lot” of professionals with 17” MacBook Pros, so obviously it was the best-selling computer Apple had and discontinuing it was only to “shaft” professionals and not because it was wasting money. Yeah, you’re right.