Weaker than expected iPhone 5c sales may trigger China Mobile renegotiation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    "Get the feeling someone might might like to see Apple to be down today?"

I have no doubt someone wants Apple's stock to be down today!
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Way back in August the rumors for a China Mobile deal pegged November as the deal announcement timeframe. When that timeframe passed the timeframe was moved to December.

On December 2nd, The Wall Street Journal announced a deal had been signed between China Mobile and Apple.

On December 3rd Bloomberg and CNN negated the WSJ announcement.

I do not remember when December 18th became the announcement date.

Along the way from the 2nd to 21st China Mobile has repeatedly stated no deal had been signed.

Instead of stopping with the irrational speculation of a deal bring signed, Wall Street has chosen to double down with wild guesses and of course dropping Apple's stock price.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Well that's what you get for releasing crappy plastics fone!

Still outsells any Samsung phone in any part of the world.

5C selling well?  That cause all Apple fans are stupid!

Samsung Rulz!

It's the 2nd highest selling mobile phone behind the 5S.
    Call us stupid! Coming from the keyboard warrior who comes to an Apple fan site to try and state his case like a 5 year old. We can also spell the word "rules".
    Buy Samsung Note 3.  Big screen and stilus make crappy Apple fone look like toy

Quite the opposite, with a big screen and a pen, the Note 3 looks like a Magna doodle.
    Also remember that Samsung copied the original iPhone for many years in both look and size so in your mind, they must have been toys too. Samsung couldn't compete where it counts so went back to the 90's with the stylus and singled out the gibbering retards who think that bigger must be better. We prefer a stylish looking, powerful phone that fits in our pocket, that we can use with our finger and one that looks sensible when we hold it up to our faces.

We don't want to have clown pockets in our pants and a oversized device pulling our pants down to our thighs. If you want to be that idiot, feel free. We are happy having an iPhone and an iPad instead of 1 device that tries to be both and fails badly.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Get the feeling someone might might like to see Apple to be down today?"

I have no doubt someone wants Apple's stock to be down today!
    Yet Blackberry posts a $4B loss and the stock is up 3% pre market. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 25 of 64
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Speculation vs facts: Fkisu's iOS penetration tracker has been monitoring iOS product's penetration since initial rollout. http://www.fiksu.com/iOS-7-iPhone-5s-5c-Usage-Tracker

In the category of iPhone, Fkisu reports that after 90 days of 5C and 5S rollout, 9.70% of all iPhone users their SDK tools track are on the 5S. The iPhone 5C is reported as having a 3.61% share. These facts suggests a ratio of 5S to 5C of 2.6:1, which is better that the 3:1 or 4:1 that some pundits are suggesting.

Note: "Data sampled hourly in batches of approximately 10M events from apps using the Fiksu SDK. These events include app launches, in-app purchases, and registrations, and are filtered to count unique devices. "
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Originally Posted by Peter524 View Post

In China, 5C is never a success and I'm glad to see it wasn't.

Thanks for all the proof.

For one reason, it is not that C (cheap) at all.

Except that isn’t what the C is for.

Even if it was, there is no way to compete with China brands' Andriod phone.

Again, all this proof you keep piling on really does wonders for your position.

• Reply 27 of 64
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

"You just have to laugh when the numbers for the wild guesses

are all so specific, like "36,146" for the first entry. If you're

taking wild guesses like this, why not just call it 36,000?"

http://trialconsult.com/litigare-blog/2013/7/8/whatever-you-do-avoid-round-numbers-how-the-psychology-of-exact-numbers-work-for-settlement-and-trial

Keep this anchoring effect in mind next time you sell your home.  Those who set a very specific selling price get closer to that price than those who set a round number.  

• Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Still outsells any Samsung phone in any part of the world.

It's the 2nd highest selling mobile phone behind the 5S.

Didn't the Cannacord numbers say that the 5c is the #3 selling phone in the US on the 4 largest carriers in November... behind Samsung's S4?

• Reply 29 of 64
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Some one wants Apple stock to be down EVERYDAY.  Its called options manipulation.  If you invest in Apple you need to have steel balls and be willing to wait it out.  Its a very volitile stock and may take MONTHS to correct.

Very true. There is some incredibly weird market psychology in play when you're talking about the stock with the most attention in the world. But markets eventually arrive at a fair price. 

• Reply 30 of 64
    The headline could just as well say:

Stronger than expected iPhone 5s sales may trigger China Mobile renegotiation
  • Reply 31 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Or it may not; given it's yet to be offered on CM?

How do "weak" sales for an item NOT YET SOLD on the service lead to renegotiations?

• Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Way back in August the rumors for a China Mobile deal pegged November as the deal announcement timeframe. When that timeframe passed the timeframe was moved to December.

On December 2nd, The Wall Street Journal announced a deal had been signed between China Mobile and Apple.

On December 3rd Bloomberg and CNN negated the WSJ announcement.

I do not remember when December 18th became the announcement date.

Along the way from the 2nd to 21st China Mobile has repeatedly stated no deal had been signed.

Instead of stopping with the irrational speculation of a deal bring signed, Wall Street has chosen to double down with wild guesses and of course dropping Apple's stock price.

The 18th was the date CM had their introduction of their LTE network. An OBTW moment might have been included but CM may simply have a different style and want to spread things out.

• Reply 33 of 64
    I just bought a 5c for my daughter as a Christmas present. I like it a lot and I think it's a great phone. I wouldn't buy one for myself because the colors are too pastel. They really needed to have more masculine colors in the mix; at least a black one.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    I miss the deleted SamsungRulz posts already! That was some awesome 3rd-grade trolling.
  • Reply 35 of 64

Tim Cook has to be considered the most boring dude ever.  He has single-handedly made AAPL the most boring company in Silicon Valley.  Despite all their great products, gone are the days of "edgy" ads and innovation.  Moving forward, AAPL clearly illustrates in their holiday ad, that if you invest in this company, you will end up like the grandma wiping her tears.  Better to invest in Exxon at this point.  The 5s is awesome, but the failure to roll out the China Mobile deal asap and in step with the 5s is just another missed opportunity by Cook and Co. These guys are showing their age, despite their operational expertise.  I have refused to believe that AAPL is finished innovating, but let's face it, SJ is gone and Cook is merely a candle flame compared to SJ's ability to create a firestorm.  Look at AAPL's executive page and it's like looking at the Mona Lisa...Get some fresh management and enthusiasm in there Cook, your present leadership is well represented by your holiday commercial...Boring.

• Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I miss the deleted SamsungRulz posts already! That was some awesome 3rd-grade trolling.

Yeah, Rulz made me wonder if there's really such a thing as "secret shoppers" for evaluating the mods' response times...

• Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Source?

None whatsoever. LOL!

• Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I just bought a 5c for my daughter as a Christmas present. I like it a lot and I think it's a great phone. I wouldn't buy one for myself because the colors are too pastel. They really needed to have more masculine colors in the mix; at least a black one.

I figure the colors were another way to distance the two offerings, the 5c from the 5s.

• Reply 39 of 64
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    I figure the colors were another way to distance the two offerings, the 5c from the 5s.

Sounds like offering a glossy gold plastic iPhone 5c is the way to go, at least for 2014.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

What is the actual evidence, if any, for a deal between Apple and China Mobile?

My guess is that Apple isn't budging from it's usual demands and China Mobile isn't having a bar of it and there is no deal happening.