BlackBerry loses $4.4 billion in Q3, sells just 4.3 million devices

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105

AAPL is a bore...Cook is a bore...die hard AAPL fans are a bore....Later...going to 3D printing...Perhaps AAPL will do something there.  Until then I'll be on the edge of my seat for the next version of iPhone....yahoo!

• Reply 82 of 105
    tjrsv wrote: »
    AAPL is a bore...Cook is a bore...die hard AAPL fans are a bore....Later...going to 3D printing...Perhaps AAPL will do something there.  Until then I'll be on the edge of my seat for the next version of iPhone....yahoo!

So your problem with Apple is that it's stable and successful like a bluechip stock, not volatile like penny stocks. There also seems to be a lot of jealousy on your part from those that were wise enough to invest in Apple who are and continue to see their investments grow.
  • Reply 83 of 105

I have AAPL....hopefully Cook goes back to operations...they are doomed otherwise.  Later...complete waste of time posting here.  Hopefully see you on Upper River or Holiday on a big fat powder day...time much better spent.  Peace out AAPL die hards.  You need a CEO with a pulse though...bottom line.

• Reply 84 of 105

RCA was a solid company too.

• Reply 85 of 105
    I have AAPL....hopefully Cook goes back to operations...they are doomed otherwise.  Later...complete waste of time posting here.  Hopefully see you on Upper River or Holiday on a big fat powder day...time much better spent.  Peace out AAPL die hards.  You need a CEO with a pulse though...bottom line.

You really should sell your stock first thing tomorrow because Cook isn't going anywhere. Seriously, Apple is doomed¡ It's the 90's all over again¡ Batten down the hatches and nail large pieces of crocked wood across all the windows. Doomed¡
  • Reply 86 of 105
    RCA was a solid company too.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.
  • Reply 87 of 105
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

No doubt some of those complaining that Tim Cook is too sedate for them want the best for Apple, as do almost all of us on this thread. But some of these criticisms call to mind the bitching of Boston sportswriters or the Tribes of Israel when Moses was on sabbatical up in the hills. It is the fate of incumbents to be sniped at by one faction or another, no matter how successful they may be.

So - I submit - if not Tim Cook, then who? Look at some notable people in the current pool of available talent: Steve Ballmer (!) (as I mentioned earlier), Scott Forstall, Thorsten Heins. Does that give us second thoughts about deposing Tim?

It begs the question of Apple's succession plans for the near and long terms. Even when Steve Jobs took extended leaves for medical treatment and Tim was appointed to act in his place, Apple kept its succession plans secret for competitive reasons. You can be darn sure that they have an up-to-date plan in place right now, and about the only thing you can bet on is that Tim is in it for a good while barring untoward events.

• Reply 88 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    No doubt some of those complaining that Tim Cook is too sedate for them want the best for Apple, as do almost all of us on this thread.

I'm not convinced that is the case.
    Even when Steve Jobs took extended leaves for medical treatment and Tim was appointed to act in his place, Apple kept its succession plans secret for competitive reasons.

And the stock was higher under Cook than it ever was under Jobs so if we use such a weak metric as short term stock price as the only worthwhile measure for success and health of a company then Cook is far outpacing Jobs.
  • Reply 89 of 105

BB is going back to it roots: Big Governments and big businesses.  If they can get back the business that they once had; it will again be as big as Apple is now without having to do any manufacturing anything themselves; just the service business on there messaging service.  Before it decided not to sell it business; the messaging service was valued at $12 billion dollar U.S, alone!

• Reply 90 of 105
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that is the case..

I said "almost all" but you have a point. "Most" might be better.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And the stock was higher under Cook than it ever was under Jobs so we use such a weak metric as short term stock price as the only worthwhile metric for success and health of a company then Cook is far outpacing Jobs.

Exactly. Per the three-year record I posted earlier.
  • Reply 91 of 105
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    harry wild wrote: »
    BB is going back to it roots: Big Governments and big businesses.  If they can get back the business that they once had; it will again be as big as Apple is now...just the service business on there[sic] messaging service.

Rhetorical question, what can Blackberry's messaging service offer which can't be done by Android, iOS or even Windows Mobile?
  • Reply 92 of 105
    chia wrote: »
    [Rhetorical question, what can Blackberry's messaging service offer which can't be done by Android, iOS or even Windows Mobile?

Put the messages on a server in an 'unpopular' country¿
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Rhetorical question, what can Blackberry's messaging service offer which can't be done by Android, iOS or even Windows Mobile?

Trust and security!  Other then the NSA; nobody has been able to crack the Blackberry security!  It been rumor that the NSA spend over 90,000 hours with it powerful state of the edge parallel computer system to crack the encryption.   A computer that is over 20,000 times more powerful then any supercomputer in the world today!

• Reply 94 of 105
    Trust and security!  Other then the NSA; nobody has been able to crack the Blackberry security!  It been rumor that the NSA spend over 90,000 hours with it powerful state of the edge parallel computer system to crack the encryption.   A computer that is over 20,000 times more powerful then any supercomputer in the world today!

Just like iMessage
  • Reply 95 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Just like iMessage

Not like iMessage!  U.S. Secret Service will not let anyone important use anything other then a Blackberry!

• Reply 96 of 105
    philboogie wrote: »
    Just like iMessage
    Not like iMessage!  U.S. Secret Service will not let anyone important use anything other then a Blackberry!

I meant for the unbreakable encryption, not who authorises what.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Trust and security!  Other then the NSA; nobody has been able to crack the Blackberry security!

the NSA isn't alone in breaking Blackberry security:

documents leaked by Snowden are some that indicate the NSA, and its U.K. counterpart, the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), can access text messages and emails sent between BES users

The two agencies have been targeting messages sent via BlackBerry’s platform since before May 2009, when they ran into temporary difficulties that U.K. analysts later traced to a change in BlackBerry’s messaging protocol following its acquisition of a smaller company. By March 2010, they were once again able to access the information, Der Spiegel said, citing GCHQ documents marked “UK Secret".

- Snowden leaks show UK and US spies have cracked BlackBerry's BES encryption

BlackBerry Enterprise Server vulnerable to dangerous TIFFs

BlackBerry outage floors many BES enterprise services?

So I pose the rhetorical question once again, what does Blackberry provide you can't get with other systems?

• Reply 98 of 105
    chia wrote: »
    So I pose the rhetorical question once again, what does Blackberry provide you can't get with other systems?

Nostalgia for a bygone era of pre-smartphne messaging phones? Allows the user to feel unique like a snowflake by choosing something no one else wants? :p
  • Reply 99 of 105
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

yes, I am sure....they are waiting in hopes of getting some of their money back.

Yeah, I'm so bummed that I bought Apple stock when it was $13 a share, then it split.  I may not be great at math, but I'm fairly sure I've made a good deal of money on that buy.

• Reply 100 of 105

you are in a nice position for sure...did you buy at $680 too?