Rumor: Apple to debut larger iPhone in May, 12.9-inch iPad in October

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The latest rumors from Apple's supply chain claim the company plans to launch two larger versions of its best selling products in 2014: A jumbo-sized iPhone in May, and a larger 12.9-inch iPad in October.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

The details were reported on Monday by DigiTimes, which cited its usual sources from Apple's suppliers in the Far East. The publication claims that Apple's anticipated 12.9-inch iPad will target the educational market in North America.

According to the report, Quanta Computer will manufacture the larger iPad. Apple is said to have been considering panel sizes of 12.9 inches or 13.3 inches, and is most likely to adopt the smaller screen size.

In addition, a larger iPhone using a 20-nanometer processor is also rumored to launch in May of 2014, according to the report. That phone's chip will reportedly run a processor designed by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company.

The 12.9-inch screen size has been rumored for a future, bigger iPad on multiple occasions, though some reports have pegged such a device for an earlier launch in 2014. Apple's interest in a bigger iPad is said to be driven by the fact that tablets are continuously replacing traditional notebook PCs in the consumer market.

iPad Air
The iPad Air is currently Apple's largest tablet with a 9.7-inch display.

Such reports are not limited to overseas publications, as The Wall Street Journal reported in July that Apple was toying with larger screen sizes on its best selling devices. Specifically, it said that Apple had built a prototype iPad with a screen size slightly less than 13 inches diagonally, putting it in a class with a MacBook display.

As for a larger iPhone, rumors have suggested Apple is toying with a design with a 4.9-inch display that the company could debut in 2014. Apple previously increased the size of the iPhone screen in 2012, when the iPhone 5 debuted with a 4-inch screen.

Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said in September that Apple is planning to launch a handset with a screen sized between 4.5 and 5 inches in 2014. According to Kuo, anything larger than 5 inches is unlikely, due to the company's Unwavering principle of one-hand use."

So-called big-screen "phablets" have become increasingly popular in recent years, with Samsung leading the way in terms of selection. The Korean firm's Galaxy Note III features a 5.7-inch display, while the Galaxy Mega comes close to being a small tablet with a 6.3-inch screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    DigiTimes.. Was wondering when the next media grab would come from them.. now we know.

Past that.. anything said in the article is irrelevant. It's DigiTimes.. nuff said
  • Reply 2 of 109
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Glad to read Apple will stick with the one-handed-use design principle.
  • Reply 3 of 109
    A few additional sizes are nice for giving people more options, but what I'm really anxious to see from Apple is something completely *new* - as in not just a iWatch in the form of a shrunk down iPhone, or iTV in the form of iOS on a TV. Something entirely new.

It's going on 7 years since the iPhone came out, and all they've done is make it in different sizes and colors.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    Dang It! Now that things have aligned... T-Mobile finally gets the iPhone after seven years, T-Mobile has a decent price plan $50.00/mo. I got to wait another five months to see if this is true before I make my first iPhone purchase?! Ugh!!! Oh well, I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer. Hope the rumor is true though.
  • Reply 5 of 109
    Since att now makes you wait 24 months to upgrade instead of the old 18 months, a May release would suck. Then again, with T Mobiles rumored announcement they should do good with a May IPhone release if it were true
  • Reply 6 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    If it's true regarding a larger iPad then I think it would be very popular now we know that Apple can keep the weight down. I'm adding to my next Christmas wish list ...:D
  • Reply 7 of 109

Really?  I guess siri, biometric identification, a 64 bit architecture chip, ect., etc., were nothing at all.  And what exactly has Samsung done other than steal from Apple and make a bigger phone?

• Reply 8 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Will a buy a larger iPhone? Heck ya. Will it come out in May? Heck no.
  • Reply 9 of 109

A larger screen is way overdue, I just came back from California and was shocked to see how many people were using a Samsung, compared to Washington DC that is. After using my friend's Samsung I realized that the screen size made up for all of Android's shortcomings, including the annoying lag in the browser.

Funny thing though, Samsung has the power-button on the side, when pressed for a short time, it powers the phone down. Apparently it was a common thing with the phone powering down a couple of times a day. 

• Reply 10 of 109
    steveq wrote: »
    A few additional sizes are nice for giving people more options, but what I'm really anxious to see from Apple is something completely *new* - as in not just a iWatch in the form of a shrunk down iPhone, or iTV in the form of iOS on a TV. Something entirely new.

It's going on 7 years since the iPhone came out, and all they've done is make it in different sizes and colors.

Uhh... And revolutionized the tablet industry which created a paradigm shift and the perception of a PC? Now go away, unless you want to discuss another company that has completely revolutionized a market every 3-4 years.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Want a bigger phone? Yes, a 5" iPhone would be great, but why not go whole hog and add FULL cellular capabilities to the iPad mini? Talk about a "phablet!"

• Reply 12 of 109
    sog35 wrote: »
    get glasses

I'm 30, have perfect vision, and want a larger screen. That's a childish argument. If they released two sizes- the current form factor, and a larger- it would be great for Apple. And might as well change your tune now, because it will be happening- likely next fall.
  • Reply 13 of 109
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

get glasses

Cute, and misses the point. Obviously different people have different wants and needs, otherwise there wouldn't be an iPhone, iPad mini, and iPad Air. We'd still just have an iPhone.

As such, Apple needs to have a smaller iPhone, a larger iPhone, and various sizes of tablets, just like they had iPod nanos, minis, Classics, and the Touch. 

• Reply 14 of 109
    The details were reported DigiTimes, which cited its usual sources from Apple's suppliers in the Far East. The publication claims that Apple's anticipated 12.9-inch iPad will target the educational market in North America.

Why limited to NA?
    According to the report, Quanta Computer will manufacture the larger iPad. Apple is said to have been considering panel sizes of 12.9 inches or 13.3 inches, and is most likely to adopt the smaller screen size.

"or"? If true, I would assume they've been considering both sizes, trying to settle on one size.
    In addition, a larger iPhone using a 20-nanometer processor is also rumored to launch in May of 2014, according to the report.

Weird that the launch dates are known at the factory level. How on earth can they know how much ramp up stock Apple wants to have? Besides, I don't see 20nm coming to fruition this early.

steveq wrote: »
    Something entirely new.

So you don't think the retina Mini iPad isn't a groundbreaking product. Releasing the 5s with Fingerprint scanner is just evolutional? The whole design and marketing of the 5c was 'nothing'? The new FF iMac just a redesign? The new Mac Pro easier for them to make because it has less components? iBeacons in their Stores is just unnecessary buzz? All of that is 'different sizes and colours'?

What's next? Let me guess, when they do release something you never thought you wanted or needed it will be priced too expensive, right? For your first post here I'd welcome you to the forum... if you had something of substance to add, but alas.
  • Reply 15 of 109
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    5 inch isn't suited for one hand use already.
  • Reply 16 of 109
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

It will be interesting. The iPhone won't be huge, but will probably come in around 4.9". Still within one handed use. I believe once you get over 5 (from my impressions of dozens of devices), one handed use is officially compromised and becomes a two handed device.

That is the real measure that separates the two different kinds of devices: one-haned, and two-handed. The iPhone is a one-handed device, the iPad is a two-handed device.

They must remain as such. Therefor, there IS a limit to how big the iPhone can get, and it is probably right around 4.9".

• Reply 17 of 109
    I hope they also come out with an updated iPod Touch. Has anyone hear any information about that?
  • Reply 18 of 109
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Digi Times = wild guess. To cover their asses, they will proclaim the ginormous idevices are delayed and/or cancelled at the last minute.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Digi Times = wild guess. To cover their asses, they will proclaim the ginormous idevices are delayed and/or cancelled at the last minute.

If DigiTimes is as bad as everyone says, why would they even bother to cover their asses.

• Reply 20 of 109
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That is the real measure that separates the two different kinds of devices: one-haned, and two-handed. The iPhone is a one-handed device, the iPad is a two-handed device.

I disagree. The real issue is that the world changes and people use devices differently than they did before. I do use my iPhone as a phone but I use it MUCH more as a very small computer For me it is a tiny tablet that also works as a phone. A lot of people around the world have only one device - their smartphone. As such a larger screened iPhone makes a lot of sense. This scenario did not exist a few years ago. Its not a fixed thing. People here should know that and not be so locked into old ideas when it comes to what a smartphone is.