Mac Pro - Six years waiting for 76% faster, and a new headache?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The reality is though that Apple has few options, it is either Intel or AMD and both of the companies are loosing ground in mobile. Frankly they are being challenged in the server market too.

Losing ground to who?  ARM?  No.  Only in tablets and smart phones, which they never had to lose, not the traditional laptop markets.

Challenged by whom?  ARM?  Not yet.

• Reply 23 of 33
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member

Nice. I wonder if, in JBOD mode, that enclosure would happily accommodate an optical drive or two? You'd obviously have to pull out one or two of the hot-swap drive trays, but unlike the enclosure I chose, there's no door that gets in the way that would have to be removed or modified.

• Reply 24 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    shetline wrote: »
    You'd obviously have to pull out one or two of the hot-swap drive trays, but unlike the enclosure I chose, there's no door that gets in the way that would have to be removed or modified.

Slightly more than the door I would think. The trays in these enclosures are quite a bit smaller than 5.25" optical drives. Slim optical drives would need a SATA adaptor. Maybe they can sit at an angle as long as they fit the full depth but would rattle around. It might have been better getting a 5.25" enclosure e.g the following except not eSATA:

http://www.cooldrives.com/empty-sata-aluminum-hard-drive-case-4-bay.html

and then trying to fit hard drives inside it.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Slightly more than the door I would think. The trays in these enclosures are quite a bit smaller than 5.25" optical drives.

I'm talking about opening up the enclosure's case and removing a whole drive tray from inside, not trying to squeeze an optical drive into a tray. Those trays mount inside a PC case the same way a full-sized optical drive does. The SATA connector that plugs into the back of the tray can be plugged into the optical drive instead.

• Reply 26 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'm talking about opening up the enclosure's case and removing a whole drive tray from inside, not trying to squeeze an optical drive into a tray.

I know but the tray dimensions are smaller than an optical drive:

http://sansdigital-shop.com/toretrmo.html

Internal optical drives have a 5.25" form factor. Won't it be more than an inch too wide and over 0.5" too tall? Depth is probably ok though.
  • Reply 27 of 33

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I know but the tray dimensions are smaller than an optical drive:

http://sansdigital-shop.com/toretrmo.html

Internal optical drives have a 5.25" form factor. Won't it be more than an inch too wide and over 0.5" too tall? Depth is probably ok though.

Perhaps I should be using the phrase "Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack" instead of calling these things hot-swap trays:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998020

That's the kind of drive carrier built into the enclosure that I chose, and it's the same basic width and height as a standard optical drive (149mm x 42mm).

• Reply 28 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    nht wrote: »
    Losing ground to who?  ARM?  No.  Only in tablets and smart phones, which they never had to lose, not the traditional laptop markets.

Challenged by whom?  ARM?  Not yet.

ARM has had a significant impact on both companies. They may not be a direct challenger, but the move to very portable devices has impacted the sale of desktop and laptop chipsets. The industry slowdown isn't due to ARM completely but it would be a mistake to not see ARM as having a significant impact.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

ARM has had a significant impact on both companies. They may not be a direct challenger, but the move to very portable devices has impacted the sale of desktop and laptop chipsets. The industry slowdown isn't due to ARM completely but it would be a mistake to not see ARM as having a significant impact.

Sure, PC sales are down and ARM has had an indirect impact via smartphones and tablets.  On the other hand making smartphone and tablet chips was so lucrative that TI dropped out of that business and ARM makers also had a slowdown in 2013.

But ARM has yet to "challenge" Intel in the laptop, desktop or server market any more effectively than Intel has "challenged" ARM in smartphones and tablets.  Maybe AMD's Seattle CPU will do so in 2014.  Maybe. 

• Reply 30 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    nht wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Sure, PC sales are down and ARM has had an indirect impact via smartphones and tablets.  On the other hand making smartphone and tablet chips was so lucrative that TI dropped out of that business and ARM makers also had a slowdown in 2013.</span>
    The whole thing with TI could be an interesting discussion in its own right. They dropped out due to no design ins. The question is why? I'm thinking it is more involved than just a slow down in the market.

But ARM has yet to "challenge" Intel in the laptop, desktop or server market any more effectively than Intel has "challenged" ARM in smartphones and tablets.  Maybe AMD's Seattle CPU will do so in 2014.  Maybe. 
    That is certainly the case if you are expecting an direct challenge. I suspect that vendors using ARM SoC will try more indirect challenges to the likes of AMD and Intel in the data center. There are at least three possibly four companies (can't remember) looking to offer up ARM based "server" chips. These companies and their partners though can't challenge Intel until they have hardware to ship.
  • Reply 31 of 33

That tower won't work for you. It's only about 4.5 in. wide in total. Opticals are 5.25 in. wide.

• Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcsimages View Post

That tower won't work for you. It's only about 4.5 in. wide in total. Opticals are 5.25 in. wide.

I just found out a couple of hours before you posted your above comment that the tower won't work to hold my optical drives -- the delivery was this morning.

Actually, the outer width of the case is just about equal to the width of the optical drives. They'll sit very neatly on top of the case... just not inside of it. :\

I let myself get fooled by the appearance of the tower in pictures, where it looks very much like a different tower I already own that can hold optical drives -- but, besides already being busy server as a media server, that tower has four bays more than I want (as opposed to only two extra bays like what I ordered), and would require a lot of ugly hacking to serve as a USB 3.0 JBOD peripheral.

At least I never even unpacked the new tower's accessories, so everything will repack nicely. I've already got a return authorization -- all I'll be out is some extra shipping and maybe a restocking fee.

But this means that the only solution might very well be the kind of ugly hack I was hoping to avoid, using a regular full-width PC enclosure with a USB hub and some USB-to-SATA adapters crammed inside, rewired to run off a single internal PC power supply instead of a bunch of separate wall warts.

• Reply 33 of 33
    [^ post

Sorry to hear that.