3rd party Mac Pro replacement covers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

I imagine that it is only a matter of time until the plastic cover on the new Mac Pro is offered by 3rd parties in other colors, and maybe a R2D2 version.  I'm looking forward to a red version, or maybe one machined out of copper billet.

What are some other ideas for covers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I imagine that it is only a matter of time until the plastic cover on the new Mac Pro

Whoa, whoa, whoa… That’s metal. Machined metal. Check out their assembly video of it.

Because it’s metal, it’ll take a while longer than otherwise, and otherwise I would have said it wouldn’t happen at all. That’s a HUGE expenditure to create machines that can build casings as precisely as Apple’s, never mind coloring the metal, all for a market that is ludicrously small (I’ll stay right here at the base of the limb and say that less than 1,000 Mac Pro buyers would want to do this in the first place).

• Reply 2 of 10

It doesn't have to be metal. A simple shrink film graphics skin would be fun for a tiny amount of money. Just slip it on and shrink to fit with a hair drier.

• Reply 3 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Colorware will probably do recolors of existing macs, like they do now.

http://www.colorware.com/categories.aspx

I'd like a yellow one, actually

• Reply 4 of 10
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member

What about anodization?

Does anyone think the nMP <- (hah couldn't resist) could be buffed down?  Then anodized?

Just wondering... 

• Reply 5 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Out of curiosity, would a hypothetical replacement Mac Pro sheath need to be made out of metal? Since the unified thermal core stuff is blowing all the heat out of the top then there shouldn't be much of a requirement for conductivity in the case, right? So we could see some "interesting" customizations.

Also out of curiosity, can you turn the Mac Pro on without the outer case, or is there a sensor to check its in place?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member

I can't wait for the lava lamp replacement cover. Or how abut one made with thermal color changing paint. How about bamboo or leather.

• Reply 7 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I want one with live fish in it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I want one with live fish in it.

Oh, to keep up the trend?

You’d need Scotty to show you how to make transparent aluminum first, though.

• Reply 9 of 10

I think TallestSkil hit the nail...

Most MacPRO users just aren't going to be interested in a "new" plastic case... they bought a tool and it looks good enough as is.

The "shrink-wrap" idea would be so much cheaper... there might be a market for that product.  The DIY modders will, of course, re-paint the existing piece... but again... the Pro sells in such (relatively) small quantities that tooling up to make a replacement case would just make for a ridiculously high-priced piece of bling.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

...I'm looking forward to a red version...

There already was a red one ... at $977,000 USD it's a bit pricey.

(http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/null-n09014/lot.27.html)